Hard to compete with Donegal’s professionalism and money, bad for the game?

Started by The Aristocrat, May 08, 2015, 02:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

by the rime you take travel time into it  for most players 60 hours may not be that far wrong ,
and if you take all the extra rest needed it would be an understatement.

intercounty Football has to become your way of life more than just something you do of an evening
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Keyser soze

Quote from: rosnarun on May 14, 2015, 10:03:03 AM
by the rime you take travel time into it  for most players 60 hours may not be that far wrong ,

intercounty Football has to become your way of life more than just something you do of an evening

Most players are spending 10 hours a day, six days a week, training for the county? Are you completely off your f***** rocker?

Bingo

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 14, 2015, 03:43:25 PM

Most players are spending 10 hours a day, six days a week, training for the county. Are you completely off your f***** rocker?

If they where doing 60 hrs per week, they would be off their f****** rocker.

Can't help but feel this is OTT sensationalism and might only happen if the panel is in a training camp which isn't the norm.

LeoMc

Quote from: Bingo on May 14, 2015, 04:20:45 PM

Most players are spending 10 hours a day, six days a week, training for the county. Are you completely off your f***** rocker?

Can't help but feel this is OTT sensationalism and might only happen if the panel is in a training camp which isn't the norm.

60 hours a week including travel and rest!
I have just realised I am working 90 hour weeks and only getting paid for 40.

cuconnacht

Quote from: LeoMc on May 15, 2015, 07:59:24 AM

Put it down to Larkin Leo put it down to Larkin.Or just throw in the towel yerself and turn Pro.... :P...or just stop realizing and countin they can be bad for ya ;D

Bingo

Quote from: LeoMc on May 15, 2015, 07:59:24 AM

Does sleep count as rest? I've racked up savage OT so.....

The Stallion

Quote from: The Stallion on May 09, 2015, 04:46:37 PM
I strongly suspect Donegal will not be a top four team come the end of the year. They have only one truly outstanding footballer in Karl Lacey, and I think teams will be better prepared to counteract their dull system this year.

McGuinness leaving ended any genuine All-Ireland hopes for this bunch of players.

Today's game has reinforced my opinion that Donegal aren't in with a realistic chance of winning the All Ireland. Just not good enough.

Wildweasel74

Dont know what game u watching stallion Donegal will be danegrous enough,

The Stallion

Donegal were very poor. But for the referee letting them away with a lot of cynical fouling, Tyrone would have won comfortably.

Michael Murphy is absolutely nowhere near the best forward in Ireland, he was terrible today and just isn't good enough to score heavily from play in a regular basis.

The Aristocrat

http://www.the42.ie/kerry-gaa-fundraising-america-2150376-Jun2015/?utm_source=shortlink

How can teams compete against Kerry, Donegal, Mayo and Tyrone's millions, a level playing field needs to be implemented, Leitrim and Longford deserve the same like 7 million centre's of excellence. 

BluestackBoy

Quote from: The Aristocrat on June 09, 2015, 10:14:07 AM
http://www.the42.ie/kerry-gaa-fundraising-america-2150376-Jun2015/?utm_source=shortlink

How can teams compete against Kerry, Donegal, Mayo and Tyrone's millions, a level playing field needs to be implemented, Leitrim and Longford deserve the same like 7 million centre's of excellence.

Do what they did, get up off your backsides, scour your county for sponsorship & stop whinging.

A 70 million centre of excellence wouldn't hep Longford or Leitrim win an All Ireland.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

AZOffaly

Quote from: BluestackBoy on June 09, 2015, 10:34:24 AM

Do what they did, get up off your backsides, scour your county for sponsorship & stop whinging.

A 70 million centre of excellence wouldn't hep Longford or Leitrim win an All Ireland.

I think Aristocrat is from Dublin.

Teo Lurley

The money in the game has gone crazy. It seems you need to have a load of cash to compete. The top teams are running away from the smaller counties who can't raise money like this. You left out Dublin in your list there. They get more from sponsrships than any other team and they got 2.1 million from the GAA last year!!!! And they're getting a 9 million euro centre of excellence built for them I hear, at least Kerry have to fundraise for it. Do Donegal, Mayo, Kerry and Dublin want to breakaway and form their own championship? If this kind of thing keeps happening then that's basically what will happen.

macdanger2

The imbalance in money available to teams is definitely widening the gap between the haves and the have nots. Something should be done to try and correct this balance but there are a lot of things which would need to be considered including:

- counties who put extra effort into fundraising shouldn't have to give money to counties who don't bother much with it. Maybe some sort of guidelines / support on how to fundraise for counties who aren't as good at it as others?
- counties like Dublin & Cork will always attract bigger sponsorship deals by the fact that they have larger populations. How can this be evened up? Or should it be?
- Counties with more clubs - managers / selectors have more players to trial, more club games to go to; same with larger counties where the distances are greater and mileage costs will be higher for any sort of travel

The Aristocrat

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 09, 2015, 10:35:19 AM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on June 09, 2015, 10:34:24 AM

I think Aristocrat is from Dublin.

Im a neutral !!!

I was half joking with this but the gap is widening when it comes to finances. 

Another point is that its not just Dublin who has the money.

Fair play to Kerry though, I wonder how much Kerry Hurling will receive from it? Probably 1%, the same percentage of respect they give hurling in the county.