Hypocrisy in action.

Started by T Fearon, May 02, 2015, 07:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

This seems potentially contradictory.  If I examine my conscience and discern that I have a belief at odds with a set of rules, should I follow my conscience or follow a path that leads me away from what my conscience dictates.  I'm following my conscience all the time, and, as I understand it, that's what the church requires that I do.  Mine is a simple belief system. What elevates another human is good while what regards him as lesser is bad.  Hence my view on the same-sex marriage thread.

T Fearon

It's simple.If you don't believe in the teachings of the Catholic Church (all of them) then cease being a Church member

imtommygunn

Quote from: T Fearon on May 05, 2015, 08:44:51 PM
It's simple.If you don't believe in the teachings of the Catholic Church (all of them) then cease being a Church member

;D

You're getting funnier fearon. Would you throw sinners out?

Oraisteach

Your summary is not simple, it's simplistic.  Regarding moral conscience the Vatican Council's Decree on the Church said, "Every human being has a conscience . . . . To obey it is the very dignity of man; according to it he will be judged."  In other words, if you don't follow your conscience you are disobeying the church's teaching and will ultimately pay the price of that disobedience.  Of course, the church acknowledges objective moral norms.  In other words, you can't do harm to someone and say, "Oh, my conscience made me do it," but as long as you're following your conscience, the roadmap to right and wrong, you are upholding God's law.  Over time, the church's stance on a number of topics has shifted--on the death penalty, for example.  I have always opposed the death penalty, even before the church did a U-turn. That's conscience at work.  So, please do not direct me to pack my bags and leave the church simply because I do not subscribe to your rigid notion of church doctrine.

T Fearon

Is there anything more silly than being a member of an organisation whose rules you largely disagree with?

Sidney

Quote from: T Fearon on May 05, 2015, 08:44:51 PM
If priests really can turn wine into blood, you'd think at least a few of them would have made a lucrative career in magic.

Or, why not donate some of that blood to Pelican House? They're always appealing for donors, and could you imagine the incredible rush that somebody who got a transfusion of Jesus Christ's blood would get? They'd literally feel like God.

T Fearon

If you disagree with the rules get out,simple.Its the one thing I admire about the theophobes

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on May 05, 2015, 09:09:28 PM
Is there anything more silly than being a member of an organisation whose rules you largely disagree with?
I have significant reservations with the black card rule. What to do?

T Fearon

There is a tipping point,reached when the number of rules disagreed with renders your continued membership hypocritical

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on May 05, 2015, 10:14:03 PM
There is a tipping point,reached when the number of rules disagreed with renders your continued membership hypocritical
What is the tipping point? If your only reservations are the sex-related ones, are we good to stay?

Sidney

Quote from: T Fearon on May 05, 2015, 10:14:03 PM
If you had any principle you would have resigned from the GAA when Rule 21 was abolished.

theskull1

Quote from: muppet on May 05, 2015, 07:38:11 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on May 05, 2015, 05:56:42 PM
I have already pointed out the folly of a la carte Catholicism,the practitioners of which are only fooling themselves.Catholic catechism makes it explicitly simple what needs to be done in its entirety and consistently.

Like ignoring Jesus' referring to the Old Testament as 'The Word of God'?

Even Tony would agree, Bible stories should be taken with a pinch of Lot's wife.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

T Fearon

There are core messages running through the Bible that are clear and non negotiable.Why anyone remains in the Catholic Church while disagreeing with a significant proportion of its well defined and unambiguous beliefs (including those pertaining to homosexuality and contraception) is beyond me.

red hander

Quote from: T Fearon on May 05, 2015, 10:41:11 PM
There are core messages running through the Bible that are clear and non negotiable.Why anyone remains in the Catholic Church while disagreeing with a significant proportion of its well defined and unambiguous beliefs (including those pertaining to homosexuality and contraception) is beyond me.

You're a bit old to believe in fairy stories, are you not?

theskull1

Quote from: T Fearon on May 05, 2015, 10:41:11 PM

Are those passages between Genesis 3:1 and Numbers 22:28 Tony?  :o

http://biblehub.com/genesis/3-1.htm
http://biblehub.com/numbers/22-28.htm
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera