Donegal v Tyrone Sun 17 May

Started by tyroneman, April 18, 2015, 07:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluestackBoy

Quote from: ONeill on May 13, 2015, 11:18:22 PM
I'm telling ye. Jimmy got out at the right time. The McGees will rage against the dying of the light but like Tyrone V Dublin in 2011 tears will streak down the faces of connoisseurs of old fashioned corner back play as the beast is slain by upstarts with a lot to learn. Tyrone by 4.

O'Neill, whatever you're on, pass it round to the rest of us.

For my part, to hell with diplomacy.  If Donegal are in the mood they could win by 8 - 10 pulling up.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Under Lights

Quote from: rrhf on May 14, 2015, 12:21:39 AM
All the best to Mickey O Neill, then - a great opportunity for him. 
With no free taker maybe Donegal will cut the grass.  It dashes their plan A though.  Supposedly for Plan B  they were thinking of bringing the sidlelines into an oblong shape. I hope Durkin has been practicing the kickouts, Big Sean will be waiting for the wee hop.   

Mickey O'Neill will start but so will Morgan  ;)

Mikhailov

Quote from: An Watcher on May 13, 2015, 10:22:36 PM
This game feels like the 80s and 90s when you didn't really know what sort of championship Tyrone would have. All-irelands seemed a million miles away but there was always hope and fight. Totally spoiled with the noughties but coming in with no real expectation reminds me of them earlier days. Yes Donegal will be tough but with some fight you never know how things could go. Up the red hands

An watcher - think that is a wee bit cruel against the 80's and 90's lads. In fairness they won quite a few Ulsters in that time and were always seen as a championship team and don't forget - there was no back door then. If back door was available I firmly believe Tyrone would have won an AI before 2003. Even in the early 90's Tyrone lost to Derry, Down and Donegal who were all kingpins at the time but no 2nd chance was allowed. I do agree with your sentiments however that with some fight and spirit on Sunday then you never know what could happen

tonto1888

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 13, 2015, 03:46:51 PM
Where you from Tonto?
Interesting that you say that you will be looking forward to this match as a few others say they hate these dour intense affairs and much prefer an open game where one team easily beats the other with lots of scores and poor defending or tactics.
We're all different I suppose. Many neutrals hated the 2003 AI final between us and Armagh but many enjoyed it for what it was.

Looks like its gonna be another wet miserable day which I think doesn't suit Tyrone.
Are the Tyrone fans staying away in their thousands again this year?

I wonder will Morgan be taking the frees on Sunday? Personally I'd rather see Sean and McCurry take anyones inside 50 yards or maybe take them short. Too often missed frees from Morgan is giving the other team a lift and our heads sink. This is where Mickey fails to show his ruthlessness in my opinion.

Im an Armagh man Fuzz though Ive been living in Manchester for 10 years

J70

Quote from: Mikhailov on May 14, 2015, 10:36:22 AM
This game feels like the 80s and 90s when you didn't really know what sort of championship Tyrone would have. All-irelands seemed a million miles away but there was always hope and fight. Totally spoiled with the noughties but coming in with no real expectation reminds me of them earlier days. Yes Donegal will be tough but with some fight you never know how things could go. Up the red hands

An watcher - think that is a wee bit cruel against the 80's and 90's lads. In fairness they won quite a few Ulsters in that time and were always seen as a championship team and don't forget - there was no back door then. If back door was available I firmly believe Tyrone would have won an AI before 2003. Even in the early 90's Tyrone lost to Derry, Down and Donegal who were all kingpins at the time but no 2nd chance was allowed. I do agree with your sentiments however that with some fight and spirit on Sunday then you never know what could happen

Youse didn't lose to Donegal in the early 90s. In fact we only met the once in the 90s, in 1994, when young Canavan put us to the sword. After that, we didn't meet till 2004.

Fuzzman

What the feeling amongst the Donegal faithful?
Would ye be hopeful of winning Sam again?
Have ye improved or gone back a little?

Is all this talk of professionalism a load of tripe or accurate enough
There must be huge changes from say 5 or 6 years ago

I reckon Mickey is going to go for the biggest physical team he can line out and that will probably include Joey and Clarke and probably McShane. He played Ryan McKenna a couple of games at wing forward in the league but I expect him and T.McCann to maybe lose out even though Mickey likes these type of work horse type players.

J70 I'm no grammar expert but for the love of God will you stop using the word Youse or yousins etc.
The big question I suppose we all wonder is can Mickey do anything different or learn anything from previous encounters. That's why I find frustrating as we try the same things or persist with something that obviously isn't working.

stew

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 13, 2015, 11:46:46 PM
Feckit I'm with you O'Neill, I believe we will win.

I dont "think" we are going to win as such because thought implies logic and logic says we should we smothered to death in attack.... again! And Donegal's efficiency upfront is frightening.

However I believe we will win, not hope..... belief. We are gonna do it! I dunno how, but I believe we will find a way.

C'mon Tyrone!

Nope, you lot are fooked!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 14, 2015, 01:46:57 PM

I reckon Mickey is going to go for the biggest physical team he can line out and that will probably include Joey and Clarke and probably McShane. He played Ryan McKenna a couple of games at wing forward in the league but I expect him and T.McCann to maybe lose out even though Mickey likes these type of work horse type players.

J70 I'm no grammar expert but for the love of God will you stop using the word Youse or yousins etc.
The big question I suppose we all wonder is can Mickey do anything different or learn anything from previous encounters. That's why I find frustrating as we try the same things or persist with something that obviously isn't working.

Speaking for myself, I think we are in a very good place at the moment & Lacey's decision to devote himself 100 to football for the summer speaks of a man who thinks the team has possibilities.

McBrearty has come on leaps & bounds as have McNiallis & McElhinney. We have leaders all over the field & are very comfortable with the system.

Gallagher is the big unknown. How good is he? There were signs in the league that he was intent on opening things up a bit which I welcome but until Sunday we won't know how he is under the pressure of a championship situation.

In many ways Tyrone are a good fixture for us as there will be no hint of complacency even allowing for the league result. Tyrone will give it everything & we'll know a lot more about where Donegal are at after the game.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

sensethetone

There's bound to be some amount of pressure on the Donegal players to secure a win. Anything less than a win will suggest everything positive this last few years with the Donegal senior team, has been down the previous manager.

From the Bunker

Quote from: sensethetone on May 14, 2015, 03:44:31 PM
There's bound to be some amount of pressure on the Donegal players to secure a win. Anything less than a win will suggest everything positive this last few years with the Donegal senior team, has been down the previous manager.

There's bound to be some amount of pressure on the Tyrone players to secure a win. Anything less than a win will suggest everything negative this last few years with the Tyrone senior team, has been down the present manager.

The Bearded One

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 14, 2015, 03:50:38 PM
Quote from: sensethetone on May 14, 2015, 03:44:31 PM

There's bound to be some amount of pressure on the Tyrone players to secure a win. Anything less than a win will suggest everything negative this last few years with the Tyrone senior team, has been down the present manager.

There's bound to be some amount of pressure on the Mayo players to secure an All-Ireland. Anything less than that will suggest that they are indeed a bunch of fecking chokers.
It is what it is. Presumably.

Mikhailov

Quote from: J70 on May 14, 2015, 01:18:41 PM
Quote from: Mikhailov on May 14, 2015, 10:36:22 AM

Youse didn't lose to Donegal in the early 90s. In fact we only met the once in the 90s, in 1994, when young Canavan put us to the sword. After that, we didn't meet till 2004.

Quite right J70 - we didn't lose specifically to Donegal but the point I was trying to make was that in the early 90's Ulster was dominated by Derry, Down and Donegal who were all AI champions so it was difficult for Tyrone to succeed but that didn't mean they were a bad team and if the back door was in existence then they could have gone much further each year - as could a lot of teams of that era...

cuconnacht

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 12, 2015, 11:36:00 PM
Cant believe how many of ye are rising to the shit stirring, obviously very worried Dub.
You will notice most other Dubs are keeping their head down and powder dry as they know that this is the only brand of football that will stop them winning Sam again this year.
Anyone that bothers to reply to the eejit are just feeding his fun. Sure he's never once admitted to any of the biting incidents FFS.

Anyway, interesting listening to Paddy Heaney here saying people forget how big strong and physical Donegal are and how they were miles ahead of Tyrone in the league with even the way they make runs at angles to receive passes.
http://teamtalkmag.com/category/media/interviews/

I'd say a lot of blanket defence haters will be tuning in as it is the only championship where the result is not a forgone conclusion and you will see a proper championship match with nobody giving an inch or rolling over

Nice to see Philly Jordan around again and in his usual position! ;)

The Bearded One

Quote from: cuconnacht on May 14, 2015, 04:25:12 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 12, 2015, 11:36:00 PM
Cant believe how many of ye are rising to the shit stirring, obviously very worried Dub.
You will notice most other Dubs are keeping their head down and powder dry as they know that this is the only brand of football that will stop them winning Sam again this year.
Anyone that bothers to reply to the eejit are just feeding his fun. Sure he's never once admitted to any of the biting incidents FFS.

Anyway, interesting listening to Paddy Heaney here saying people forget how big strong and physical Donegal are and how they were miles ahead of Tyrone in the league with even the way they make runs at angles to receive passes.
http://teamtalkmag.com/category/media/interviews/

I'd say a lot of blanket defence haters will be tuning in as it is the only championship where the result is not a forgone conclusion and you will see a proper championship match with nobody giving an inch or rolling over

Nice to see Philly Jordan around again and in his usual position! ;)

No I am sure that's a Mayo player rolling over in yet another All-Ireland final.
It is what it is. Presumably.

StephenC

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 14, 2015, 01:46:57 PM

I've no hope of Sam. Would love another Ulster title and think it's possible, but very difficult.

I think we've gone back a bit since last year. Rory Kavanagh and Leo McLoone are big losses (both in terms of their impact and their size), Thompson has hardly trained with the squad, David Walsh hasn't been available, Declan Walsh has left, Jigger O'Connor started the AI final last year and hasn't been seen since, Paddy McGrath is really struggling for form but other options are limited, Neil Gallagher and Christy Toye are a year older and are slowing down, Mark McHugh is a shadow of his former self.

Not trying to play the poor-mouth, I still think we've a very strong team, but all of the above support my opinion that we've gone back since last year.