NFL Division 2 final Down V Roscommon 26th April 2015

Started by Dubh driocht, April 06, 2015, 12:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

With the London game so deep into May it'll be a great way to break up what could have been a huge lay-offs. Last year's final was good. Glad to be on the main bill this year.

Dubh driocht

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on April 06, 2015, 06:17:38 PM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on April 06, 2015, 12:46:52 PM
This should be a good game to open proceedings on League Final day. Although Down finished top of the table, Roscommon were comfortable winners in Newry earlier in the season. The Shines and Senan Kilbride were too strong for the Down defence and they charged up the middle like buffalo on the prairie. Evans is a fanatical manager who will love taking the Rossies in their bus to Croke and will reckon Down have a bit of a soft belly. However, his fanaticism is nothing compared to what the smallest man in the pitch will bring. Based in Trinity, Conor Laverty will have thought every possibility through, just as he does in a micro-second on the pitch. He mightn't have many degrees or doctorates but he is a professor of the game and will be well aware that the last man in dearg agus dubh to lift a trophy in Dublin was DJ Kane. So I tip Down to take it in a high scoring game; when did Down last play Roscommon (if ever) at Croke ?

Jesus wept. Shocking touch of hero worship there brinking on a man-crush. Would you catch yourself on man.
Did someone dare you to write that.

I shouldn't rise but...
Brick Tamlin-Irony is lost on you. One clue may have been in the reference to Buffalo charging up a prairie. As you missed that I'll spell the rest of it out for you.
Evans has a reputation for fanaticism and being obsessed with football. For the Roscommon posters, I wanted to highlight that we also have people who are passionate about football in Down. Our captain works in Trinity College. Therefore; the references to academia. Conor Laverty eats, breaths and sleeps football - it's his full-time job- and he comes from a small townland who have dominated Down football for the past five years. Therefore my ironic post was that we had a match for John Evans in our captain and he will ensure that the team won't lack passion and commitment in the final. So my conclusion was that we would shade it.
If there's any part of that you don't understand, let me know.

commonman

Quote from: Mourne Rover on April 06, 2015, 02:07:37 PM
As Dubh Driocht might recall, Down last played Roscommon at Croke Park 25 years ago this month. It was the semi final of the 1990 NFL, and Down won comfortably before losing to Meath in the final.

remember that game well, roscommon had come off the back of a high scoring extra win over Dublin in Portlaoise in QF and fancied their chances of getting to their first final in 9 years - but we lost on something like a scoreline of 4:10 to 0:10, mickey linden doing untold damage. that game signalled the arrival of that great Down team of early nineties while we went on to win two connachts in 90 and 91, and contested the 91 NFL  semi as well but were hammered by Dublin.

Bojangles

Remember Rossies playing Down in a league game back in the early nineties too in Orchard park Elphin. Mickey Linden was in his pomp, and Derek Duggan similarly for us. Down were physically huge! Won on the day too as I remember.

seafoid

When is the last time the Rossies played a senior match in Croke Park?

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on April 07, 2015, 04:50:29 PM
When is the last time the Rossies played a senior match in Croke Park?

April 2014 Annus Domini.

commonman

Quote from: Bojangles on April 07, 2015, 04:12:25 PM
Remember Rossies playing Down in a league game back in the early nineties too in Orchard park Elphin. Mickey Linden was in his pomp, and Derek Duggan similarly for us. Down were physically huge! Won on the day too as I remember.

was that the day president Mc aleese (with obvious strong allegiance to both counties) viewed the game in elphin in the luxurious surroundings of the back of a bertie glancy lorry.

Syferus

Quote from: commonman on April 07, 2015, 04:56:37 PM

was that the day president Mc aleese (with obvious strong allegiance to both counties) viewed the game in elphin in the luxurious surroundings of the back of a bertie glancy lorry.

She wasn't president in 1990 or 1991!

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Dubh driocht on April 07, 2015, 12:33:58 PM

he comes from a small townland who have dominated Down football for the past five years.

The past three years.

5 Sams

That's why we won the AI in 91 and 94. While Mickey wasn't physically huge he was simply unmarkable...ask the 94 Dublin defence.
The Aristocrat Years

Jinxy

You won the AI in 91 because Meath had to play 25 games to get to the final and Colm O'Rourke had swine flu.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on April 07, 2015, 08:55:34 PM
You won the AI in 91 because Meath had to play 25 games to get to the final and Colm O'Rourke had swine flu.

And ye weren't even the best team in yer semi-final either >:(

snoopdog

Quote from: Jinxy on April 07, 2015, 08:55:34 PM

We went 11pts up and started dreaming of the next night bringing Sam over the border and nearly let you back in to nick it. Sure we brought it through Drogheda so you could have a wee look

MourneArmy

Where are us Down folk heading for a few pre-match stouts? It's a shame Donegal or Monaghan didn't make the league final, always good craic pinting with our Ulster comrades before matches at Croker.

As for the less important matter of the match, I'll be expecting a high intensity performance from Down akin to near championship pace. With Derry on the horizon it's time to step it up from our relatively average league performances.

Down to win by 5.

An Dún Abú