NFL Division 2 final Down V Roscommon 26th April 2015

Started by Dubh driocht, April 06, 2015, 12:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: MourneArmy on April 13, 2015, 10:42:55 AM
Where are us Down folk heading for a few pre-match stouts? It's a shame Donegal or Monaghan didn't make the league final, always good craic pinting with our Ulster comrades before matches at Croker.

As for the less important matter of the match, I'll be expecting a high intensity performance from Down akin to near championship pace. With Derry on the horizon it's time to step it up from our relatively average league performances.

Down to win by 5.

An Dún Abú

Meaghers in Ballybough is usually the Down HQ before a game in Croker.
The Aristocrat Years

Syferus

Can't wait to see some rotten football in two weeks' time.

Shrewdness

The Down posters on here certainly seem confident. Obviously Down's match to lose, based on that.

Aristo 60

MourneArmy

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 13, 2015, 09:16:38 PM
The Down posters on here certainly seem confident. Obviously Down's match to lose, based on that.

There's never anything wrong with being confident. It's Down's match to win, if they want it.

gibbs32

Rossies by a point or two.down are only a stepping stone for what we want to achieve

Ringfort

Quote from: Syferus on April 07, 2015, 05:01:10 PM
Quote from: commonman on April 07, 2015, 04:56:37 PM
Quote from: Bojangles on April 07, 2015, 04:12:25 PM
Remember Rossies playing Down in a league game back in the early nineties too in Orchard park Elphin. Mickey Linden was in his pomp, and Derek Duggan similarly for us. Down were physically huge! Won on the day too as I remember.

was that the day president Mc aleese (with obvious strong allegiance to both counties) viewed the game in elphin in the luxurious surroundings of the back of a bertie glancy lorry.

She wasn't president in 1990 or 1991!

I was a child at the time but I remember being in the Orchard for a Ros vs Down NFL game in the 90's...... What year was it? Surely not as early as 90/91?? Something rings a faint bell that we played them twice in Elphin in the league but a few years apart I thought...or am I wrong? Also the president in the Glancy bus story is ringing a bell.... Anyone got the history of our clash(es) with Down in the Orchard in the 90's?

Shrewdness

Despite all the rubbish that has been written about Down and Roscommon's style of play, i reckon this match has the makings of being a good open game and could be high scoring. Both teams will want to end the league on a high as they head towards the championship. No doubt Down will be looking for revenge for the defeat in Newry. Ros will be without the suspended Seanie Mc Dermott, whilst there's no guarantee that the u-21's will start.

Syferus

Knowing John they're probably training this evening. They're a lock to feature. Murtagh will start, Harney and Smith more questionable.

Shrewdness

Last year, John Evans didn't even start in the championship because he claimed that they still hadn't got over the disappointment of losing the U-21 final to Dublin. If Ultan Harney is carrying a shoulder injury, he should be rested. Enda Smith looks tired and imo, his form has dipped. It appears that Diarmuid Murtagh had a virus all week, and if any player deserves a break, it's him. Yet, he's the most likely of the three to start.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 18, 2015, 11:46:37 PM
Last year, John Evans didn't even start in the championship because he claimed that they still hadn't got over the disappointment of losing the U-21 final to Dublin. If Ultan Harney is carrying a shoulder injury, he should be rested. Enda Smith looks tired and imo, his form has dipped. It appears that Diarmuid Murtagh had a virus all week, and if any player deserves a break, it's him. Yet, he's the most likely of the three to start.

To be fair that was because he got the hump on him because the U21s didn't want to immediately go to a training camp the day after the AI final loss. It had feck all to to with protecting young lads and everyone knew it then and now. I heard about Murt having a virus alright. Not that being 100% would have made any difference with three white jerseys on top of him at all times.

rrhf

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 13, 2015, 11:43:14 AM
Quote from: MourneArmy on April 13, 2015, 10:42:55 AM
Where are us Down folk heading for a few pre-match stouts? It's a shame Donegal or Monaghan didn't make the league final, always good craic pinting with our Ulster comrades before matches at Croker.

As for the less important matter of the match, I'll be expecting a high intensity performance from Down akin to near championship pace. With Derry on the horizon it's time to step it up from our relatively average league performances.

Down to win by 5.

An Dún Abú

Meaghers in Ballybough is usually the Down HQ before a game in Croker.
They wouldn't need to be too reliant on repeat business...

Dubh driocht

The defeat to Tyrone will be a tough one for Roscommon and it will indeed be interesting to see how Evans responds. I would start Murtagh if he's fit as he is quality, and caused Down serious problems in Newry, and Smith is also worth his place.
The Down team I would pick is as follows;
Kane
Deserves his place but Cunningham and Gordon both did well and we're well served when Harrison isn't even in the squad
O'Hagan, Howard, Turley
These guys have everything except a bit of height- and we will need this against Kilbride . Collins is cut from the same cloth and while it won't happen, I would love to see Big Dan in a red and black shirt this year.
McArdle, McKernan, McGovern While Benny didn't get as much game-time as the two Burren men, he is still a quality player who I would start. McKernan is almost at his peak and is all-star material if we get a good run. McGovern never less than 7 out of 10 every game.
Turley and Mallon
Pete has more than filled the considerable gap left by King while Mallon's athleticism should curb the influence of the Shines
Maginn, Madine, Carr Maginn is a manager's dream, does everything you ask and has a knack of being in the right place at the right time. Madine is a serious physical presence in a light team and while he might still not be fully fit, he was our main man in the early league games. Carr is top quality and again brings physicality in what will be a physical battle.
Poland, Laverty, O'Hare Mark got better over the campaign, Laverty was consistently excellent and Donal is a prolific scorer especially when the confidence is up.
It's a bit harsh on Devlin and Mc Conville not to start but I would bring both on at some stage, along with the Johnstones and Conor Garvey.

The team I think Jim will pick- subject to availability is;
Kane
O'Hagan Howard D Turley
O'Hanlon McKernan McGovern
P Turley and Devlin
J Johnstone Poland Maginn
McConville Laverty O'Hare.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: gibbs32 on April 06, 2015, 08:02:46 PM
I fancy a hatrick of titles in nxt 3 weeks. I have a doubt over cbs as they are playing the home of football.im going for 2 from 3
While 2 outta 3 ain't bad. You're left with 1 now!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 19, 2015, 08:52:03 AM
Quote from: gibbs32 on April 06, 2015, 08:02:46 PM
I fancy a hatrick of titles in nxt 3 weeks. I have a doubt over cbs as they are playing the home of football.im going for 2 from 3
While 2 outta 3 ain't bad. You're left with 1 now!

Bit of a reality check with the u21s there. How to manage expectations is the thing. The raw material is there, probably. But hard to keep a lid on things in a county  relatively starved of success.
Mol an oige agus tiocfaidh si would be the mantra of choice.