Change rules
44 (45.4%)
Leave her be
53 (54.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

DuffleKing

Quote from: smelmoth on March 29, 2015, 06:53:23 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 29, 2015, 06:24:50 PM
And to do any of that you have to change he rules. Who were the most vociferous opponents of the black card who ensured it's watering down?

The black card certainly hasn't done the game any harm and if had not have been watered down could have done the game a lot more good.

Watered down?

smelmoth

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 29, 2015, 07:37:45 PM
And to do any of that you have to change he rules. Who were the most vociferous opponents of the black card who ensured it's watering down?

The black card certainly hasn't done the game any harm and if had not have been watered down could have done the game a lot more good.

Watered down?
The jersey pull wasn't included as the soundings indicated that it would not get through unless it was watered down in this respect

lenny

Quote from: INDIANA on March 29, 2015, 07:36:23 PM

Hasn't done it any good because it's brief isn't wide enough. Players shouldn't be replaced for starters.

The black card has some good points but could be improved on in my opinion. A cynical foul anywhere on the pitch should be punished with a 13 metre free. A cynical foul denying a goal scoring opportunity should be punished with a penalty. Punish teams on the scoreboard rather than losing a man. Draconian measures but it would cut out any cynicism if it ws going to cost teams on the scoreboard.

smelmoth

Hasn't done it any good because it's brief isn't wide enough. Players shouldn't be replaced for starters.
Agree about the replacement of players (another example of the watering down) but the card has done some good. The 3 cynical physical offences of blocking the runner, dragging the man down and tripping (listed in order of their frequency in the game) have reduced in frequency. The jersey pull remains de rigueur. The card never attempted to address negative play which is the key issue now

smelmoth

Quote from: lenny on March 29, 2015, 07:42:41 PM

The black card has some good points but could be improved on in my opinion. A cynical foul anywhere on the pitch should be punished with a 13 metre free. A cynical foul denying a goal scoring opportunity should be punished with a penalty. Punish teams on the scoreboard rather than losing a man. Draconian measures but it would cut out any cynicism if it ws going to cost teams on the scoreboard.

If you include the jersey pull as cynical then I would welcome a trial of that

rrhf

Quote from: smelmoth on March 29, 2015, 07:46:59 PM

Agree about the replacement of players (another example of the watering down) but the card has done some good. The 3 cynical physical offences of blocking the runner, dragging the man down and tripping (listed in order of their frequency in the game) have reduced in frequency. The jersey pull remains de rigueur. The card never attempted to address negative play which is the key issue now
to be fair the most negative team in ireland are now in division 2.  Light bulbs anyone! It will regulate itself.  To win you need to play a bit.

DuffleKing

Quote from: smelmoth on March 29, 2015, 07:39:53 PM

Watered down?
The jersey pull wasn't included as the soundings indicated that it would not get through unless it was watered down in this respect

Soundings?

Is there any reason to believe this given that the FRC was the most militaryesqueioperation in my time involved with the association?

smelmoth

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 29, 2015, 08:00:46 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on March 29, 2015, 07:39:53 PM

Watered down?

Soundings?

Is there any reason to believe this given that the FRC was the most militaryesqueioperation in my time involved with the association?
Yes - before there was a vote McGee said that the FRC were excluding the jersey pull because in their consultations in the review and in the statements of the counties before their delegates were dispatched to congress that the black card motion would be defeated if it included the jersey pull

Throw ball

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 29, 2015, 07:08:34 PM

You're both wrong.

It was never the rule except in people's heads.

Thought I would put the rule up. If you scroll down to 'tackle' it says more than one player can tackle.

https://www.gaa.ie/about-the-gaa/rules-and-regulations/

ONeill

Call me crazy, but watching The Sunday Game it hit me.

One nominated player is allowed to carry a hurl and have a sliotar in his pocket. Between the 50 and 40 he can score as long as the ball is also in that area.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mrdeeds

Having read this forum since page 1. Just watching Sunday Game and McStay said GAA legislators need to do something to stop this tactic. I'm sorry but you cannot stop a manager using whatever tactics he wants or innovation. Is it going to be forwards stay in their half and hoof it in? What other sport would dictate rigid formations and style of play? Madness.

Tubberman

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 29, 2015, 10:55:50 PM
Having read this forum since page 1. Just watching Sunday Game and McStay said GAA legislators need to do something to stop this tactic. I'm sorry but you cannot stop a manager using whatever tactics he wants or innovation. Is it going to be forwards stay in their half and hoof it in? What other sport would dictate rigid formations and style of play? Madness.

Offside?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mrdeeds

Quote from: Tubberman on March 29, 2015, 11:00:35 PM

Offside?

Doesn't dictate a formation or how many players you can put in a half of field. Every sport the manager has to use innovation. Gaelic football is only at its infancy regards tactics so lets see how it develops. Also why should weaker teams have their bellys tickled by going for it and ultimately be bet out the gate.

Tubberman

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 29, 2015, 11:08:38 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on March 29, 2015, 11:00:35 PM

Offside?

Doesn't dictate a formation or how many players you can put in a half of field. Every sport the manager has to use innovation. Gaelic football is only at its infancy regards tactics so lets see how it develops. Also why should weaker teams have their bellys tickled by going for it and ultimately be bet out the gate.

It puts restrictions on the formations and tactics you can play. There hasn't even been a proposal yet on how to limit the ultra-defensive football we're seeing, but something is needed. Winning in a game of this type may be seen as justifiable in the short term, but if it damages the support and playing numbers in the longer term, it needs to be legislated against.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Jinxy

Good to see Kevin McStay had the guts to firmly point the finger of blame in a northerly direction.
If you were any use you'd be playing.