Football

Change rules
44 (45.4%)
Leave her be
53 (54.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

theticklemister

Just thinking there.......

When I begin a training session with the wains the first drill I think of is............

A hand pass drill.  Is it the Ulsterism in me or what?????

Also showed the English wains a match on YouTube and about a minute in a wee lad put up his hand and said "Mr. *\$|$*], can you kick the ball in this game?"

rrhf

Before the black card we were told hawkeye was the answer.

INDIANA

Quote from: thewobbler on March 29, 2015, 06:01:05 PM
Anyway enough talk about whose fault it is.

The question is, what can be done to make out games more entertaining.

The first thing everyone needs to do is accept and understand that defensive football and cynical football are not one and the same thing.

The beauty and reward of every sport is in the challenge between attacking and defensive skills and strategy. In every game there absolutely needs to be a belief that defending your corner is important, as otherwise it's just shooting practice.

As such, I would be thoroughly opposed to any motions or suggestions devised to reduce the ability of teams and coaches to gain success through defensive strategy. Our game would be genuinely weaker if anything such was to pass.

Cynical football is, on the other hand, a genuine problem. There simply isn't a strong enough deterrent for players not to wind up opponents, block off runs, foul deliberately, or to slow up the game after a free is conceded. So not only are attacking teams faced with having to break down defensive shapes, it is often the case that a number of opponents are also operating outside the rules of the game. It's a double whammy against flowing football, and for us spectators, it's often gruesome to watch.

This is why the black card was introduced, and as an idea it is still one of the best ever conceived for our game.

But the problem is that referees are now so reluctant to use the black card, that it is almost a non existent aspect of our game... and after only 18 months. Such is the lack of black cards that one has to assume it's a centrally requested edict.

Just this Friday night I witnessed a player bearing down on goal, getting deliberately tripped up from behind at the 14 yard line. The most clear it cynical foul of all.  The outcome was a yellow card.

Anyway about a year ago this was already quite evident so I opened a thread where i suggested that it's time to get rid of the yellow card entirely; with the red for dangerous play, the black for cynical play, and effectively a pass for anything in between (such as a mistimed tackle).

It was roundly laughed off as an idea and I can see why.

But here's the thing: if we don't attack the scourge of cynical play, then more and more coaches will teach it, expect it and demand it from their players.

Players will only refuse these orders when the penalty or punishment  is too big, and at that time coaches will need to change their tune.

We will never be able to stop a man being dragged down in the last minute of a game. But we need our games refereed in such a way that every minute is as equally relevant as the last minute.

Some players would be hard done by, no doubt. But the game would be better for it.

And to do any of that you have to change he rules. Who were the most vociferous opponents of the black card who ensured it's watering down?

Throw ball

Quote from: INDIANA on March 29, 2015, 05:38:26 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on March 29, 2015, 05:31:04 PM
Indiana has nordie issues which are reflected in his posts BUT he is correct in that coaches coach around the rules and its the rules that need changing not necessarily the coaches (though some coaches would be found out by rule changes)

I have issues with the Nordies telling us we can't set our sights a bit higher then providing a game that people want to watch rather then one where they will turn off the TV.
Its the rules that need changing not the up-skilling of coaches. And for the record I'm not in favour of limiting handpassing. What I am in favour of is drastic changes to the penalties available to referees for the systemic and organised fouling that is killing the game due to teams having the entire range of personnel in their own half.

The black card has been a shambles because it wasn't allowed go far enough.

As a genuine question as I do not know the answer. Which province, per head of population gets the biggest average attendance at matches?

rrhf

Whitnail

You have to be carefull 

You can't end up with a game. almost totally devoid of tactics otherwise its not a game or contest  worth playing ..even Curling has tactics. Gaa is an amateur sport but it depends how amateurish you want it to be (or remain).

Do people want it to be a bit of fun over the summer where teams simlpy ignore defence and decide to have a nice little game based on making sure the other team can basically- score at will? It's too late for that now

I totally agree something needs to happen about the handpassing. It's risk free and the game needs more risk .
Spillane is absolutely correct when he says that the ball travels faster kicking it than it takes to run it and it's probably gonna take a team to become so skilled at kicking that everyone will simply have to follow suit.

Also the tackle in football & hurling has always been ambiguous. How do you stop a man running at you with the ball in hand especially if he's already taken 3, 4 steps and is going to take another 3,4 steps until he's past you before he kicks or bounces?. A big feature in practically evey game of football/hurling is 6,7 step over-carry ,going completely unpunished.

I was in a pub in Galway 2 years ago watching a leinster  championship match & explaining the rules to a couple from New Zealand (in fairness it could have been any match in gaa) and their question was is there a special reason why certain players were allowed to take more steps than others without bouncing or kicking ?

I didn't know how to answer that other than say the rules are just guidelines lol

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: ha ha derry on March 29, 2015, 10:08:17 AM
Allow only one player to tackle the player in possession.

I would be in favor of something along these lines. 

smelmoth

Quote from: Throw ball on March 29, 2015, 06:25:16 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 29, 2015, 05:38:26 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on March 29, 2015, 05:31:04 PM
Indiana has nordie issues which are reflected in his posts BUT he is correct in that coaches coach around the rules and its the rules that need changing not necessarily the coaches (though some coaches would be found out by rule changes)

I have issues with the Nordies telling us we can't set our sights a bit higher then providing a game that people want to watch rather then one where they will turn off the TV.
Its the rules that need changing not the up-skilling of coaches. And for the record I'm not in favour of limiting handpassing. What I am in favour of is drastic changes to the penalties available to referees for the systemic and organised fouling that is killing the game due to teams having the entire range of personnel in their own half.

The black card has been a shambles because it wasn't allowed go far enough.

As a genuine question as I do not know the answer. Which province, per head of population gets the biggest average attendance at matches?

Its Ulster but is that really to do with the quality of skill on display. More likely to be the more even spread of "quality" within the county (less games where the winner is clearly evident before throw in). After all there are plenty of fans in Ulster who couldn't give a rats arse about their team's performance or the quality of the spectacle. Winning is all that counts for them.

smelmoth

Quote from: INDIANA on March 29, 2015, 06:24:50 PM
And to do any of that you have to change he rules. Who were the most vociferous opponents of the black card who ensured it's watering down?

The black card certainly hasn't done the game any harm and if had not have been watered down could have done the game a lot more good.

smelmoth

Quote from: rrhf on March 29, 2015, 06:20:51 PM
Before the black card we were told hawkeye was the answer.
Who told you that?

redzone

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on March 29, 2015, 06:45:25 PM

sure thats the rule at the minute ffs

Throw ball

Quote from: redzone on March 29, 2015, 06:59:04 PM

I am sure someone will give you a link to the rules but I am fairly sure it was amended recently to say more than one person can tackle.

DuffleKing

You're both wrong.

It was never the rule except in people's heads.

ha ha derry

Quote from: redzone on March 29, 2015, 06:59:04 PM

No, multiple tacklers are allowed, hence the problem. It takes the skill factor away from both defending and attacking.Simple enough change in the rules would be more beneficial than the black card.

INDIANA

Quote from: smelmoth on March 29, 2015, 06:53:23 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 29, 2015, 06:24:50 PM

The black card certainly hasn't done the game any harm and if had not have been watered down could have done the game a lot more good.

Hasn't done it any good because it's brief isn't wide enough. Players shouldn't be replaced for starters.