Will all you atheists be celebrating....

Started by T Fearon, March 16, 2015, 09:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

OgraAnDun

Presumably the same reason "all those" atheists, Muslims, Hindus etc celebrate Christmas - because it's a national (or in the case of Christmas, international) festival which has gone beyond a simple religious celebration.

Hardy

Quote from: T Fearon on March 16, 2015, 09:09:21 PM
St Patrick's Day tomorrow? If so,why?

Will you apostate Christians be celebrating?

T Fearon

But why celebrate something you don't believe in?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: T Fearon on March 16, 2015, 09:15:48 PM

It's gone past actually celebrating the saint himself and developed into a celebration of "Irishness", whether you like it or not.

Oraisteach

Apart from the Bacchanalian binge and obvious religious connection, I'd say St. Patrick's Day is a way by which the Irish diaspora can connect to home, providing a sense of belonging.

Mind you, I say that as one who keeps his head well below the parapet on March 17, careful to avoid drunks in plastic 'Kiss Me, I'm Irish' hats and cautious to sidestep the splash of projectile green beer.

Still, Happy St. Patrick's Day to one and all.

T Fearon

It is in fact a desecration of a Christian feast

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on March 16, 2015, 09:15:48 PM

What is the opposite of proselytism?
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Quote from: OgraAnDun on March 16, 2015, 09:19:51 PM

It's gone past actually celebrating the saint himself and developed into a celebration of "Irishness", whether you like it or not.
[/quote]

Celebration of " Oirishness" more like.
Leprauchaun hats, red "beards" etc etc. Painful day. I'm Irish every day of the year.
Thankfully working tomorrow.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on March 16, 2015, 09:54:24 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on March 16, 2015, 09:19:51 PM

Celebration of " Oirishness" more like.
Leprauchaun hats, red "beards" etc etc. Painful day. I'm Irish every day of the year.
Thankfully working tomorrow.
[/quote]

Oh Jaysus, that's enough for anyone to stay in bed tomorrow.

I don't celebrate it, mainly because I don't believe the St Patrick story. One man comes in and converts millions of hairy-arsed pagan sun worshippers to Christianity. Yeah right.

Bingo

The snakes though. Explain the snakes?  ;)

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

J70

I don't really celebrate it, but if I do, its a celebration of being Irish. Paddy's Day is basically the Irish version of Independence Day.

You might not like the fact, but just like Christmas, its pretty much a secular holiday.

laoislad

Quote from: J70 on March 16, 2015, 10:39:23 PM

I don't really celebrate it, but if I do, its a celebration of being Irish. Paddy's Day is basically the Irish version of Independence Day.

You might not like the fact, but just like Christmas, its pretty much a secular holiday.
The movie wouldn't be as good though...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.