Will all you atheists be celebrating....

Started by T Fearon, March 16, 2015, 09:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beer baron

Quote from: laoislad on March 16, 2015, 10:41:08 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 16, 2015, 10:39:23 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on March 16, 2015, 09:09:21 PM
St Patrick's Day tomorrow? If so,why?

I don't really celebrate it, but if I do, its a celebration of being Irish. Paddy's Day is basically the Irish version of Independence Day.

You might not like the fact, but just like Christmas, its pretty much a secular holiday.
The movie wouldn't be as good though...

Who'd play Will Smiths part?

Bingo

Colin Farrell as will smith
Arnie to play President Higgins

muppet

Tony Fearon could easily play Will Smith. As long as he doesn't pretend to be Will Smith under his own roof, everyone else will be fooled.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: T Fearon on March 16, 2015, 09:25:50 PM
It is in fact a desecration of a Christian feast

Do a Cromwell on it so and ban the bloody thing if it annoys ye so much. Wouldn t bother me except for the day off work.

It is a feast day after al,l so people are supposed to have a feed of something - even if its only beer.

Lookit, the old Celtic chiefs that Patrick converted just went along with it out of politeness and continued in their practices of collecting heads and robbing other peoples cattle anyway. Probably regarded him as a bit of a plaguer and indulged him so he would piss off and leave them alone so they could get on with raping and pillaging and slave trading. By all accounts they were fond of drinking as well so our present day fashion of marking the day is probably apt. There is still a lot of cattle thieving going on as well so it s good to see we still have links with our past,

Eamonnca1

Are you taking Sunday off, Tony? Taking time off to honour the sun?

Taking the day off on Saturday too? Honoring the god Saturn? Will you be paying respects to Thor on Thursday? Odin on Wednesday?

ziggysego

I'll go to Mass in the morning. Watch the MacCrory Cup Final and the All-Ireland Club Finals.

That'll be my St Patrick's Day celebrations.
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

As I suspected.Hypocrisy using a solemn Christian Feast for all the wrong reasons.Surely the proper response from atheists would be to ignore St Patrick's Day

cornerback

Quote from: T Fearon on March 17, 2015, 06:18:40 AM
As I suspected.Hypocrisy using a solemn Christian Feast for all the wrong reasons.Surely the proper response from atheists would be to ignore St Patrick's Day
Judging people again there Tone

T Fearon

So reading comments on this thread and drawing obvious conclusions is now "judging people?"

J70

How is it hypocrisy?

Do you deny that Paddy's Day has evolved into a celebration of Irishness?

T Fearon

It is hypocrisy for atheists to celebrate St Patrick's Day when they don't even believe in him

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on March 17, 2015, 07:49:59 AM

How is it hypocrisy?

Tony will celebrate it supporting a Scottish team in Glasgow. And A Jewish team in London... Tony keeping his options open when it comes to the pearly gates. Bit of a shame when he realises (to late of course) that its just dust he'll turn into in the end!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 17, 2015, 08:09:58 AM
Quote from: J70 on March 17, 2015, 07:49:59 AM

How is it hypocrisy?

Tony will celebrate it supporting a Scottish team in Glasgow. And A Jewish team in London... Tony keeping his options open when it comes to the pearly gates. Bit of a shame when he realises (to late of course) that its just dust he'll turn into in the end!!

No no, Tony's right about the afterlife. He'll just be heading downstairs is all. It'll probably be full of gays, there for their repugnant sins. Backs to the wall down there Tony, they'll still all be out to get you.

deiseach

What is there to 'believe' about St Patrick? Are good gay God-fearing Catholics meant to think he literally banished the snakes from Ireland rather than that heathen nonsense about ice ages?

haveaharp

Quote from: T Fearon on March 17, 2015, 08:09:32 AM
It is hypocrisy for atheists to celebrate St Patrick's Day when they don't even believe in him

It is perfectly plausible to be an atheist whilst recognising the existence of Patrick. There was a historical figure called Jesus, doesn't mean you have to be believe he was the son of god.

Happy St Patricks day all. Enjoy.