New Catholic Church/ DUP coalition! Is this they way forward?

Started by T Fearon, February 24, 2015, 05:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on March 09, 2015, 08:25:08 PM
People are treated differently in many aspects of life.Thats why men and women generally wear different clothes and have different toilets etc.

It all boils down to why they're treated differently.As I said I'd have no problem letting out a single room to an individual member of the gay community,which proves I'm non discriminatory.

So a married gay couple. Would you refuse them a room?

Hardy

Quote from: Orior on March 09, 2015, 09:09:05 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 09, 2015, 05:51:54 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 09, 2015, 05:49:10 PM

I disagree. You are applying 20th century attitudes and transparency to a time when in those in authority were never challenged and no exceptions. Whistle blowing was never an option. Sean Brady is easy target.

The 14 year old managed it.

I went to an all boys school. There was always talk about one priest in particular who visited the dormitories at night.

Should I be hanging my head in shame that I didnt report it to the RUC?

Report what?

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on March 09, 2015, 09:20:27 PM
I would not let a room to an unmarried hetrosexual couple either
Would you ask for a marriage cert and ID?

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 09, 2015, 10:41:52 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on March 09, 2015, 09:20:27 PM
I would not let a room to an unmarried hetrosexual couple either
Would you ask for a marriage cert and ID?

Prejudice is like a lie. It gets harder and harder to keep it going.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

When you understand what prejudice is,we can debate😀

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on March 09, 2015, 10:52:25 PM
When you understand what prejudice is,we can debate😀

I would concede that you are the recognised expert on prejudice on this board.
MWWSI 2017

Orior

Quote from: Hardy on March 09, 2015, 10:06:03 PM

I disagree. You are applying 20th century attitudes and transparency to a time when in those in authority were never challenged and no exceptions. Whistle blowing was never an option. Sean Brady is easy target.

I went to an all boys school. There was always talk about one priest in particular who visited the dormitories at night.

Report what?

That abuse was happening in my secondary school, but I didnt understand it at the time. However when I appreciate the gravity, should I still report the priest even if he is now dead?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hardy

Quote from: Orior on March 09, 2015, 11:36:40 PM
Quote from: Hardy on March 09, 2015, 10:06:03 PM

Report what?

That abuse was happening in my secondary school, but I didnt understand it at the time. However when I appreciate the gravity, should I still report the priest even if he is now dead?

Stop with the silly questions, Orior and I know you didn't start it, but can we also stop bringing up child abuse in a discussion about homophobia?

You don't need me or anyone else to inform your conscience. The last time you posted that story here you described it as "rumours" about a priest who was "asking boys about what they do with their girlfriends" and "wandering through the dormitories at night". Do you really see an equivalence between that and Brady's facilitation of child rape?

Even if you do (and you don't, I hope) you know the answer to your rhetorical questions. They're facile. You were a child. You had no responsibility then. If you think there's a possibility that this is still going on now, you know your responsibilities.

Orior

Quote from: Hardy on March 10, 2015, 09:35:20 AM

Stop with the silly questions, Orior and I know you didn't start it, but can we also stop bringing up child abuse in a discussion about homophobia?

You don't need me or anyone else to inform your conscience. The last time you posted that story here you described it as "rumours" about a priest who was "asking boys about what they do with their girlfriends" and "wandering through the dormitories at night". Do you really see an equivalence between that and Brady's facilitation of child rape?

Even if you do (and you don't, I hope) you know the answer to your rhetorical questions. They're facile. You were a child. You had no responsibility then. If you think there's a possibility that this is still going on now, you know your responsibilities.

Fair enough, and my complements on your memory.

I still believe that the hounding of Sean Brady is harsh and in the absence of anyone else he has become a scapegoat. The real culprit is the guy who ordered Brady to deal with Smyth and silence his victims.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

T Fearon

Orior,don't waste your time.Brady is an ideal target for the anti Catholic fascists,the more senior the church figure they can demonise the happier they are. :(

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on March 10, 2015, 05:53:02 PM
Prior,don't waste your time.Brady is an ideal target for the anti Catholic fascists,the more senior the church figure they can demonise the happier they are.

Yes Tony, anyone who dares criticise a man who silenced the victims of child sex abuse is a fascist.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Silence them? Did he seal up their lips? Did he prevent their parents from delving into why their young children might have been summonsed to a meeting with clergy? Or did he do his bidding in a bureaucratic organisation by carry out an investigation and report his findings accurately to his superiors,who wielded real power and influence in the Church at that time?

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on March 10, 2015, 05:59:35 PM
Silence them? Did he seal up their lips? Did he prevent their parents from delving into why their young children might have been summonsed to a meeting with clergy? Or did he do his bidding in a bureaucratic organisation by carry out an investigation and report his findings accurately to his superiors,who wielded real power and influence in the Church at that time?

Yes he did! Do you understand what an oath is?

He broke the law doing it as well.

MWWSI 2017