The Connaught Thread

Started by Croí na hÉireann, February 17, 2015, 10:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on February 20, 2015, 07:47:36 PM
Syf said the population of Ros was 72k in the 40s. What is it now? 50 k?
Did Mayo also have a fall off in population over the period?

64k.

giveballaghback

Farrendeen biting and muppet coming back for more, this new fishing rod is great, by the way a club to play their football in roscommon was being formed some years ago but mayo took it to connacht council and got it stopped, Sligo voted with Ros, Leitrim voted with Mayo and Galway had the deciding votes and sided with Mayo, so a Roscommon mans right to play for the county of his birth was taken away by those great democrats in the connacht council boardroom at the behest of the Mayo lobby, I feel that at the time if a legal challenge was taken our case would have been upheld, everything that the gaa stands for is being denied here ie club county parish, and i would not deny any ballagh man his right to play for mayo of he so wishes, but if a ballagh man wants to play for the county of their birth then that right should also be upheld and if this was the case many of your county stars over the years would have chosen the primrose and blue, let the roaring begin.

maigheo

crawl back under your rock and stay there

muppet

Quote from: giveballaghback on February 21, 2015, 02:17:53 PM
Farrendeen biting and muppet coming back for more, this new fishing rod is great, by the way a club to play their football in roscommon was being formed some years ago but mayo took it to connacht council and got it stopped, Sligo voted with Ros, Leitrim voted with Mayo and Galway had the deciding votes and sided with Mayo, so a Roscommon mans right to play for the county of his birth was taken away by those great democrats in the connacht council boardroom at the behest of the Mayo lobby, I feel that at the time if a legal challenge was taken our case would have been upheld, everything that the gaa stands for is being denied here ie club county parish, and i would not deny any ballagh man his right to play for mayo of he so wishes, but if a ballagh man wants to play for the county of their birth then that right should also be upheld and if this was the case many of your county stars over the years would have chosen the primrose and blue, let the roaring begin.

Yes everything the GAA stands for is about a landlord moving his town from one county to another to avoid paying tax? Your county council territory benefitted from a tax-exile, your GAA territory didn't. But you want to have your Cake and eat him. Your name actually suggests giving back to Mayo county council what was taken from their old territory. I would support you in that.

And I really wish you took that legal challenge. That would have been a good laugh.

You'll find that the courts generally allow organisations to follow their own procedures, unless they stray into territory such as human rights or the constitution etc.
MWWSI 2017

larryin89

"County stars over the years"

Noel Durkin ?

Kevin Cahill ?

John Morley ?

Andy moran ? ( albeit a Rossie as a gasun , I genuinely believe he would of opted for Mayo if there was a choice )

Others who represented Mayo over the years that I can think of , kilcullens ( Mayo men and good supporters too) . Pearce Hanley ? The drakes ? Keith Rodgers ?  John o Mahony , Mayo man from Magherboy Kilmovee originally . Christy  mcann , gerry Coleman etc all Mayo men through and through.

Of the last team that won the county apart from the Conway lads , I can't think of any Rossies . I don't know where this roscommon thing comes from but I do agree on choice and it would be very interesting to see as I believe if they were good enough to get a run with Mayo they wouldn't go within an asses roar of the Rossies.

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Sean Kilbride was good enough for both.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: muppet on February 21, 2015, 04:24:46 PM

Yes everything the GAA stands for is about a landlord moving his town from one county to another to avoid paying tax? Your county council territory benefitted from a tax-exile, your GAA territory didn't. But you want to have your Cake and eat him. Your name actually suggests giving back to Mayo county council what was taken from their old territory. I would support you in that.

And I really wish you took that legal challenge
. That would have been a good laugh.

You'll find that the courts generally allow organisations to follow their own procedures, unless they stray into territory such as human rights or the constitution etc.

But the sheepshaggers did try and mount a legal challenge mup, back in 1962.
They brought a case before the Connacht Council, seeking to have Ballagh transferred to their jurisdiction and the other four unanimously rejected it.
They were bad losers, as always, and huffed and puffed about bringing the matter to court but they let the matter drop because they had no case.
Crucially, the Ballagh club sided with Mayo, as it still does. The council decided that unless the club members decided to throw in their lot with Roscommon, (ie lower their standards) they were entitled to continue playing in Mayo. 

What this ladeen is harping about is quite another matter.
The woolly jumpers tried to have a junior club established in Ballagh parish and they were told, again by the Connacht Council, that one club, one parish was still the order of the day.
It was pointed out to them friggers once again that the club was entitled to play football with |Mayo unless and until a democratic vote of the club members decided otherwise.
Jaysus, there can't be a single forum in the Cosmos where the "We want Ballagh" brigade hasn't shown up, baaing and bleating about Ballagh not playing with them.
It's a bit embarrassing really having their muddy hoof prints all over the place.
Now, if they had a titter of sense between them, they'd realise that they'd be better off appealing to the members of that hallowed institution to throw in their lot with them rather that subjecting the rest of humanity to this senseless whining.
But they are afraid to approach the Ballagh club members because the know the answer they will get- the same they've been getting for six generations and will get for sixty more!

Maigheo Abú!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

And I really wish you took that legal challenge. That would have been a good laugh.

Forcing players to play county for the House of Pain when they're from their nearest neighbours is a human rights issue.

The Ballagh GAA club swallows up Roscommon sports grants. It only suits them to say they're Mayo when the money men aren't calling.

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on February 21, 2015, 05:10:19 PM

Forcing players to play county for the House of Pain when they're from their nearest neighbours is a human rights issue.

The Ballagh GAA club swallows up Roscommon sports grants. It only suits them to say they're Mayo when the money men aren't calling.

1) Try that one in court.

2) So it is all about money. Should have known.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on February 21, 2015, 05:20:49 PM

It was never only about money.

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on February 21, 2015, 05:26:06 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 21, 2015, 05:20:49 PM

It was never only about money.

Ok then, it was and is somewhat about money.
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 21, 2015, 05:04:30 PM
They were bad losers, as always, and huffed and puffed

Sounds like you supporters & Mayo seniors 1989 to 2014.

For all your wins over us & Connacht titles won not to mention the pick & resources compared to us you still only have won one more senior All Ireland than us. No wonder you have to count sheep to sleep at night & can't get them off your mind during the day  :D
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on February 21, 2015, 06:33:11 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 21, 2015, 05:04:30 PM
They were bad losers, as always, and huffed and puffed

Sounds like you supporters & Mayo seniors 1989 to 2014.

For all your wins over us & Connacht titles won not to mention the pick & resources compared to us you still only have won one more senior All Ireland than us. No wonder you have to count sheep to sleep at night & can't get them off your mind during the day  :D

Jealous?
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Those bitter rhubarbs will never win Sam while they have Ballagh affiliated to them.
There is a Higher Power that looks after these things.
We all know God is a Rossie. ;) - from Croghan I believe.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Quote from: muppet on February 21, 2015, 06:38:32 PM
Jealous?
Of what? Not condition anyone would want. Poor Lar has mind full of sheep they must be crawling up the wall like this baby in trainspotting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgeDh1WCyeM

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open