All Ireland u21 football championship 2015

Started by giveballaghback, February 16, 2015, 09:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: Slievenamon on May 04, 2015, 11:48:41 PM
Excuse me please.  As a follower of Tipperary football I wish to congratulate Tyrone on a fine win on Saturday evening.  We are quiet simply in bits but I am sure they will recover quickly and move on.  I want to address the game in an honest way and I suppose a starting point would be to offer sympathy to the family of Tipperary man Dom Browne who sadly passed away at half time.
     I thought there were three phases in the game.  The opening half was one where Tipp went at Tyrone and were well worth their lead at the break.  In fact but for the final few mins of the half we could have went in 4 points up.  A wrong option by our centre forward as we led by three was intercepted and Tyrone quickly pointed to reduce the gap to just two at the break.  The 3rd 1/4 saw Tyrone absolutely dominate and Tipp struggled to cope with the pace.  Tyrone nearly goaled early in the half.  Then at two points up a long range free came off the cross bar Tyrone broke pointed and from the kickout scored a brilliant goal. 
     This then is where Tipp had grumbles.  As the goal scorer was being treated the whole mood changed in the game.  Throughout the field Tyrone players goaded the Tipp players. Pushing, pulling , laughing in their faces and generally acting in a manner unfitting of the occasion.  I have seen rough play down the years and you must accept that.  Steven O'Brien was lucky to be left on the field after stamping on an opponent.   This was a dirty foul and I would not condone it.  But some of the stuff in the last 14 minutes were disgusting.  If I thought that either Tipperary or Clonmel Commercials would revert to this it would finish me with football so hopefully that wont happen.  The coaches can deny that they coached this way but it is as obvious that once a lead was got we spoil the game.  On two occasions in the dying minutes a hugely organised sideline for Tyrone "failed" to get a message to the man being taken off to allow a sub in.  The whole lot was orchestrated.  Now the incident at the end was not of Tyrones making. Okay a Tyrone man ran an opponent into a goal post but he was dealt with by the ref but failing to throw the ball in is boggling.  Throwing it in didnt mean we would have won the throw in but thats not the point.
      Now I dont want to come on here and just whinge.  I have been as honest as I can and I really enjoyed the game as a spectacle up to the Tyrone goal.  The two teams were wonderful in appalling conditions but for me the antics in the final 1/4 marred it for me  more that the loss.  Well done to Tyrone again and for Tipp we need to dust down beat Waterford and get some sort of a run in the championship.

Your views are fair enuff I don't agree with the half of them most likely as we are viewing them through completely different lens. For example I thought Tyrone were the better team in the first half and should have been well ahead AT HALF TIME because the wides they hit were seriously wasteful not to mention McNulty fumbling a ball that would have lead to a certain goal.

Now I did not see any evidence of goading pushing and pulling but I was only watching it on the box, but let me say this, if it did happen it should not have, it stupid and childish and does not help the perpetrators in the slightest.
I remember being found of the old sledging myself as a youth and getting a ferocious rollicking from a manager about it, Did it stop me? Course not, I couldn't help myself when those lough-shore slabbers would start:) did I play better when I didnt do it? Of course I did. It is stupid carryon but you cant tell young lads some things.
However it happens up and down the country every week at all levels and I would doubt very much that it doesn't happen in Tipperary as well. But lets not get carries away you got to live in real world let me tell you about another manager I had at juvenile level that I think he may have had a similar attitude to yourself . We got into a free for all in a friendly and he refused to talk to us he even had his assistant do all the talking at training. This went for a good month, while matches were going on and everything! He was making a point that it was unacceptable but did it stop rows? Course not young lads are as mad as a box of frogs some times.

But thanks for your post and commiserations on your loss, yous played well Saturday and put up a valiant display and done your county proud

tippabu

Quote from: ONeill on May 05, 2015, 12:25:32 AM
Players were "spat at" too??? Doors kicked in???

That came from a texter and its the one and only occasion where its was mentioned by anyone, the presenter should have known better himself than reading out something where there is no evidence at all.

theticklemister

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 05, 2015, 12:26:10 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 05, 2015, 12:19:46 AM
Bloody hell  its a lively one this.  yer first cousins will put an end to yer squealin in a couple of weeks time.

When idiots from Connacht keep sticking an oar in where really there's no need, then you can expect fireworks, especially when some Dubs should know better too, since neither of your provinces were involved in the final! :P

Ye leave him alone ya bollix.

#Derry/Mayo-solidarityaginsttyrone

Syferus

Bloody hell  its a lively one this.  yer first cousins will put an end to yer squealin in a couple of weeks time.

When idiots from Connacht keep sticking an oar in where really there's no need, then you can expect fireworks, especially when some Dubs should know better too, since neither of your provinces were involved in the final! :P

We only teach gaelic football and not MMA. More's the fool us I guess.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Syferus on May 05, 2015, 12:30:31 AM

And boy does that cap fit!  :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

giveballaghback

I havent forgot ya sligoman, what about the 1943 Connacht semi-final played in boyle when ye were denied a 14 yard free to win the game and Ros won the replay and went on to win the all-ire,
this thread is not about personal grudges or vendettas but about the direction out game of football is heading, every county has had its hard men but the ref usually dealt with them, (well some times), Barnes Murphy was no angel and I could name a lot more  of hard sligomen over the years but now it is being coached into young lads that this is the way to play but I have to say fair play to you you did not miss a chance to vent against your connacht neighbours and of course you had to praise the nordies to justify your anger, if we get over London you will have one long angry post to write after what we do to ye and I guarantee their will not be one cynical tackle from the Rossies.

tippabu

Quote from: ONeill on May 05, 2015, 12:24:57 AM
Quote from: Slievenamon on May 05, 2015, 12:18:29 AM
Now I know the podcast as I was listening earlier.  I think that there maybe a mix up here. The contributor was referring to an incident in the 2011 minor final when a Tipp lad was handed the ball for a penalty the Dub informed him that his sister (that he named) was lets say a good looking girl to put it mildly.  I have no evidence of this on Saturday night.   Look I hated the antics in the final 1/4 but the game was wonderful and these lads on both sides deserve huge credit for the skill levels shown.

No there was no mix-up. He said "it was pre-meditated  - and the Tyrone manager said it wasn't". He was referring to Facebook etc. He was making this up. You could tell by how watery on it. Then the journalist tried to bring it up again with the next interviewee. It really was pathetic.

I just listened back there, while talking of players talking about family members and such, if it did happen of course it was premeditated by the player who would have had to look up the information. He also said that the tyrone managed said the players arent coached that way but didnt deny that it happens. Now im pretty certain nobody put it to the tyrone manager about the facebook and that and he was probably asked about the buzzword that is cynicism so i think there was a mix up there

BennyHarp

This has definitely been on of my favourite threads in a long time!

A quick recap of the last few hours.....Indiana has been outed as a multiple All Ireland medalist who strangely hasn't a bucks notion about football or who plays it. Roscommon's mask of fair play to all has been pulled off by Sligoman who gave firm evidence of them indulging in the dark arts long before Tyrone even knew they existed. The Stallion, the bigoted anti Tyrone Derryman is best buds with an ex-Tyrone county player who coincidently hates Tyrone and Tipperary have turned into a bunch of big ninnies over night, crying to their local media over being bullied and called names. Meanwhile Tyrone are still All Ireland U21 champions, it's amazing the impact our success has on others!  ;D
That was never a square ball!!

ONeill

Quote from: tippabu on May 05, 2015, 12:37:34 AM
Now I know the podcast as I was listening earlier.  I think that there maybe a mix up here. The contributor was referring to an incident in the 2011 minor final when a Tipp lad was handed the ball for a penalty the Dub informed him that his sister (that he named) was lets say a good looking girl to put it mildly.  I have no evidence of this on Saturday night.   Look I hated the antics in the final 1/4 but the game was wonderful and these lads on both sides deserve huge credit for the skill levels shown.

No there was no mix-up. He said "it was pre-meditated  - and the Tyrone manager said it wasn't". He was referring to Facebook etc. He was making this up. You could tell by how watery on it. Then the journalist tried to bring it up again with the next interviewee. It really was pathetic.

I just listened back there, while talking of players talking about family members and such, if it did happen of course it was premeditated by the player who would have had to look up the information. He also said that the tyrone managed said the players arent coached that way but didnt deny that it happens. Now im pretty certain nobody put it to the tyrone manager about the facebook and that and he was probably asked about the buzzword that is cynicism so i think there was a mix up there

"Mentioning family members and that....It looked like Tyrone reverted to it when they went ahead....mentioning your sister's name and that......he didn't deny it happened."

It wasn't a mix-up. The interviewee was making it up. The presenter asked him if that really happened. He said "well....yeah, unfortunately". Then the presenter brought it up as fact with the next interviewee.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Black Mamba

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 05, 2015, 12:43:45 AM

A quick recap of the last few hours.....Indiana has been outed as a multiple All Ireland medalist who strangely hasn't a bucks notion about football or who plays it. Roscommon's mask of fair play to all has been pulled off by Sligoman who gave firm evidence of them indulging in the dark arts long before Tyrone even knew they existed. The Stallion, the bigoted anti Tyrone Derryman is best buds with an ex-Tyrone county player who coincidently hates Tyrone and Tipperary have turned into a bunch of big ninnies over night, crying to their local media over being bullied and called names. Meanwhile Tyrone are still All Ireland U21 champions, it's amazing the impact our success has on others!  ;D
Sligoman's post was almost as laughable as some of Stallion's :P

omaghjoe

Quote from: Syferus on May 05, 2015, 12:30:31 AM

A message from Sligo for you Rossies

Quote from: sligoman on May 04, 2015, 09:45:56 PM
I've been a long time lurker on these boards but I finally felt it worthwhile to join up reading some of the rubbish posted here. Syferus takes the biscuit. I wonder is the sense of irony lost on him talking about diving, cheating, cynicism, defensive football and dirt.

Does he defend the way Roscommon players dived and conned the referee in the 2010 Connacht final, where anytime they felt the slightest touch they flung themselves to the ground. Where they consistently fouled Harrison and Johnny Davey any time they broke out with the ball from the back? Sligo lost that game themselves that way but the gaul of you to claim moral high ground of the so called dark arts of the game.

Roscommon is the same county who had thugs like Grehan and Seamie O'Neill touring the country with absolute dirt on show. I wonder how many players O'Neill buried with punches in his career, he was as big a thug as you'd find in the game. And Grehan now far behind him. Talking about sledging, step forward Curran and Frankie Dolan. Dolan would spend his whole game talking and verbally harrassing the referee and his opponent, hardly the sign of someone playing the game in the right spirit is it? Curran was as unsporting a player you could have and would use every single trick in the book too. Do you have issues with the gamesmanship in the replay with Sligo in 2004 or does you mock outrage only extend to teams who beat ye?

Finally, I seem to remember Roscommon playing every single player they had behind the ball last year in the qualifier with Armagh so concentrate on getting your own house in order before telling us how other teams are ruining the game.

For what it's worth I attended the game between Roscommon and Tyrone and I didn't see any signs of cynicism beyond the norm with Tyrone that day. They were just a better team who were hungrier. The incident you highlighted with Daly and the Tyrone lad seemed to have been instigated by Daly who was giving it as good as he was getting it at the least.

I have to agree with the Tyrone lads here, if Kerry, Dublin or Mayo adopt these tactics they are exonerated as being cute or intelligent. If an Ulster side do it they are thugs and cynical who are ruining the game.

Mayo did it in the 2012 Connacht final with Sligo when Johnny Davey came on and was cynically dragged to the ground on 3 or 4 times in the last few minutes. Barry Moran got a second yellow card for clotheslining him and it was cynical in the extreme. I don't have an issue with Mayo doing it, if Sligo were the team who were two points up in injury time I'd expect us to be doing the same. The issue falls on the referees and how they punish these incidents.

But to hear Syferus, a Roscommon man, riding his high horse about one county being responsible for all the ills of the games when his own county are far from angels is sickening.

I watched the game yesterday, it was good game played in tough conditions with both teams giving it all and doing what it took to win. I thought if anything Tipperary were slightly the more cynical and the midfielder was very lucky not to get the line for what he did to the Tyrone no9 who continued to come in for special treatment all game long. Felt sorry for Tipp at the time as they were desperately unlucky to fall short and the way the game ended with them being denied a chance of an equaliser must have been sickening but I quickly lost that sympathy when hearing the stories of the comments they made after the game and denying the Tyrone manager from offering his commiserations after the game. I certainly can't understand the negativity towards Tyrone on the basis of yesterday and would agree that there seems to be an agenda against Northern teams.

I have seen Sligo play against plenty of Northern sides in my time following GAA and I can safely say I found them a lot less cynical and dirty than some of our closer neighbours.

Not my words but I dying to hear your reply

omaghjoe

Jaysus this thread is movin quick I can't even keep up with it and I have been on it most of the day at work

Thanks for the update

Anyway keep er lit lads the tons in sight!

tippabu

Quote from: ONeill on May 05, 2015, 12:45:17 AM
Quote from: tippabu on May 05, 2015, 12:37:34 AM

"Mentioning family members and that....It looked like Tyrone reverted to it when they went ahead....mentioning your sister's name and that......he didn't deny it happened."

It wasn't a mix-up. The interviewee was making it up. The presenter asked him if that really happened. He said "well....yeah, unfortunately". Then the presenter brought it up as fact with the next interviewee.

Did you read the second half of my post? Im pretty certain youre manager wasnt asked about it so how could he deny it, i said that part must have been a mix up.

Fuzzman

The game is on TG4 player today

There seems to be two different issues being talked on here.
1. That Tyrone as a county have become a disgrace and take cynical  methods to a whole new level and as they don't have the talent any more they now base their whole game on winning at all costs.

2. This actual game itself was quite entertaining and competitive and enjoyable up until the team most of us didn't want to win actually got the goal and went in front. Then we all saw their true colours of cheating and diving and cynical play whereas anything cynical that Tipp had done like several players trying to take Cathal McShane out of the game during the whole game was just part and parcel of the game.

This is where my issue is with this thread. People see what they want to see and ignore what doesn't help them argue their point. There has been a few reasonably balanced posts like Sligoman and blowitup I think who enjoyed a good tough game in terrible conditions where the slight underdog who everyone wanted to win just fell short.

Id love a few of ye to list out the ACTUAL cynical incidents you thought happened by watching the game again. I'm not saying there were none but judge it for yourself and not from people texting in saying oh I heard this or saw that when its so easy for them to make up stuff.
Personally I lost count of the number of times I saw Tipp players trying to DO Cathal McShane. The OBrien one is the worst of course but there were shoulders to the ribs tripping and dragging him down but no sign of a black card all day. Even his goal which I thought he hit badly at the keeper, the defender knew he wasn't gonna get there in time so he made sure he left his leg out to do damage after the ball had gone.
Usually the winning team's fans would bite their tongue and not bring up all their annoyances after a game but I am so fed up listening to inaccurate anti Tyrone propaganda whilst other teams who do the same thing get away with it.
Had O'Brien correctly got a red card for his offence in the 11th minute what sort of game would it have been then?
As a matter of interest does anyone think he shouldn't have saw red

To end of a positive. O'Riordan is one hell of a player and I'd say we'll be seeing him a lot in the years ahead unless he goes down under. 

theticklemister

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 05, 2015, 12:43:45 AM

Laughing me balls off here lol.

I have the f**king horrors and can't get to sleep!