All Ireland u21 football championship 2015

Started by giveballaghback, February 16, 2015, 09:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg

From what i saw in the hastings mayo would be ahead off galway.Surprised kerry got beat with all those all irelands on the sideline

gibbs32

I must say it is a beautiful bus.there is a bit of class about it.im told its used 3 times per week on average whether that is senior,underage,ladies or club. Mayo are poor u21.i think galway wil beat them but as i said earlier we are a good bit ahead.bookies rarely wrong and we are 2nd favs after dubs. Mark dowd is being groomed for senior. I dont think anyone would begrudge us winning as we have been knocking and very consistent over last 3 years at u21. Roscommon being roscommon there is always the fear of winning nothing over nxt couple of years but we will have no excuses as everything is in place for this team u21/seniorto succeed. I had doubts about johnny evans but i dont mind saying i was wrong. Massive game on sunday v meath.win that and promotion is in our hands

Shamrock Shore

Longford gave a good account of themselves versus the Dubs.

Final score shows Dubs won by 5 (2-15 to 3-07) but it was only in the last 5 minutes that they pulled away.

Had we been able to win even 25% of our own kickouts the result may have been different  :-\

Good game played in a good spirit.

Shrewdness

I think Diarmuid Murtagh scored about 2-5 tonight before going off. Enda Smith got about 3-1 before he went off. ..Heard that Thomas Corcoran is about 5 weeks away from fitness.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on March 18, 2015, 10:11:35 PM
I think Diarmuid Murtagh scored about 2-5 tonight before going off. Enda Smith got about 3-1 before he went off. ..Heard that Thomas Corcoran is about 5 weeks away from fitness.

Might need to get to an AI final if we don't want that massacre in Tullamore to be Thomas' last U21 game.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 18, 2015, 09:59:44 PM
Quote from: moysider on March 18, 2015, 09:51:48 PM

Bit of straight talkin from Gibbs and his confidence seems to be well placed judging on that result anyway.

Mayo, in contrast, huffed and puffed against Leitrim and were anything but convincing. Maybe that game will act as a sighter for Saturday's match but no more than hopeful of a result v Galway.

Yea, I'm hoping more than expecting v Galway. I don't know if this management is getting the best out of the players, or the players aren't good enough.

We need a few changes from Leitrim game. a couple of lads made a bit of a name for themselves as minors but it was incidental stuff rather than real quality. But the consensus around me the last night was good players, poorly coached. Harsh, and maybe the problem is not just U21 management, but it s frustrating to see bad habits that have been endemic and hugely costly to the county down the years still cropping up in players of this ability and age. Some hard questions needs to be asked about what is being done in these so called development squads and Ted Webb teams.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on March 18, 2015, 10:19:14 PM

Bit of straight talkin from Gibbs and his confidence seems to be well placed judging on that result anyway.

Mayo, in contrast, huffed and puffed against Leitrim and were anything but convincing. Maybe that game will act as a sighter for Saturday's match but no more than hopeful of a result v Galway.

Yea, I'm hoping more than expecting v Galway. I don't know if this management is getting the best out of the players, or the players aren't good enough.

We need a few changes from Leitrim game. a couple of lads made a bit of a name for themselves as minors but it was incidental stuff rather than real quality. But the consensus around me the last night was good players, poorly coached. Harsh, and maybe the problem is not just U21 management, but it s frustrating to see bad habits that have been endemic and hugely costly to the county down the years still cropping up in players of this ability and age. Some hard questions needs to be asked about what is being done in these so called development squads and Ted Webb teams.

Don't know how ye kept the same management after last season. Ted Webb teams have been doing their jobs recently, sure ye won it in 2013. Don't ye have an academy for 17-23 year olds or something? Doesn't sound like cosching structures are the problem.

gibbs32

As a fan of corcoran it would be fitting for him to maybe leave on a high or hopefully stay and get into senior set up. Injury depending as its pretty regular for the lad

gibbs32

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on March 18, 2015, 10:28:49 PM

Don't know how ye kept the same management after last season. Ted Webb teams have been doing their jobs recently, sure ye won it in 2013. Don't ye have an academy for 17-23 year olds or something? Doesn't sound like cosching structures are the problem.

Structures/academies are there yeah but what is the product?
I d know 2 of that U21 teams since they were kids. 2 very different but very good players. I was a bit disappointed where they were the last night. I don t think they have developed into the players they could have. Just sayin. Their weaknesses still there and they haven t got to a level they ought to have. One in particular could kick the ball better at 14/15 than he can now.
The captain Adam Gallagher seems to be going backwards at a rate of knots. A bag of nails. Shot selection/execution off. Can t kick a free anymore!
Felt sorry for him because he made some great runs the last night which were not seen/ignored (after all these years I dunno which is worse). The awful decision making in general is a malaise in all our teams.

giveballaghback

The quality of Sligo may be questioned but the quality of Roscommons play and more importantly the quality of our score taking was top drawer, they are really a big physical team of top class footballers playing to the highest possible standard, a totally flawless performance from start to finish. Stiffer tests lie ahead for sure and a team can get caught on any given day ( our u21 in the 2013 Connacht final against Galway being the perfect example of the better team losing)and a little luck may be needed at some stage but all things being equal this Rossie team can go all the way, one step at a time but I think we can beat Mayo or Galway and anything ulster has to offer, wont call the last one just yet but if we are there bring on the super dubs.

gibbs32

Kevin mcstay was the man for mayo moysider and probably win d elusive all irealand. When mayo county board turned their noses on one of the best tactical,strategic man managers who won a club all ireland for brigids which no other manager would do,well it defies belief.croynism in mayo stinks. Am i right in saying vice county chairmans brother got the gig with his side kick?ive always wanted mayo to win all ireland but that boat has sailed. Thankfully i can concentrate fully on the rossies making a march

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on March 18, 2015, 10:43:46 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 18, 2015, 10:28:49 PM

Structures/academies are there yeah but what is the product?
I d know 2 of that U21 teams since they were kids. 2 very different but very good players. I was a bit disappointed where they were the last night. I don t think they have developed into the players they could have. Just sayin. Their weaknesses still there and they haven t got to a level they ought to have. One in particular could kick the ball better at 14/15 than he can now.
The captain Adam Gallagher seems to be going backwards at a rate of not. A bag of nails. Shot selection off. Can t kick a free anymore!
Felt sorry for him because he made some great runs the last night which were not seen/ignored (after all these years I dunno which is worse). The awful decision making in general is a malaise in all our teams.

All the last four Conan ht champions have made the AI final; we lost to Dublin, the eventual champions, in 2010 too. There's a real concentration of good teams in Connacht at U21 in recent years. Apart from last year Mayo have been competitive pretty much through it all. Again I was surprised the management team survived but aside from that Mayo have one of the best underage programs in the country - two minor AI finals, one win and one loss, AISF last year, a great U21 run a decade ago (which was probably the impotedous for both Galway and us getting our acts together so) and one that produced the core of a senior team that almost won the AI.

Looking at the cycles success goes through Mayo are pretty much where they should be overall. Horan doesn't seem to have left the young players coming through during his reign in a great place alright and it might be contributing to C&H's 'struggles' so far. We have the benefit of operating at lower levels so lads like the Smiths and Murtaghs are well used to senior football at ages when Mayo counterparts mightn't get a minute's game-time.

larryin89

Tbh with you Syferus , we don't have any smiths or murtaghs  comin through but on the other hand these roscommon kids have yet to play big league and as was pointed out to me during the weekend of analysis at home,this is where they should be judged .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

Quote from: gibbs32 on March 18, 2015, 10:56:43 PM
Kevin mcstay was the man for mayo moysider and probably win d elusive all irealand. When mayo county board turned their noses on one of the best tactical,strategic man managers who won a club all ireland for brigids which no other manager would do,well it defies belief.croynism in mayo stinks. Am i right in saying vice county chairmans brother got the gig with his side kick?ive always wanted mayo to win all ireland but that boat has sailed. Thankfully i can concentrate fully on the rossies making a march

Any county that puts in good work deserves all the rewards that come their way.

Our problems in Mayo are with us I m afraid. Any relative success we ve had has been in spite of ourselves. Ah, well.