All Ireland u21 football championship 2015

Started by giveballaghback, February 16, 2015, 09:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

Enjoying this thread immensely. for the record I don't know who sligoman is but he's makes some interesting points sure enough 😇😇😇😇😇
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

rrhf

Even the way the tipp lads in county tracksuits in the stand behind the goals were jumpering Tyrone football's before the game started was not on...  so many negatives we could concentrate on..the only thing good about last Saturday night was the great game packed with excitement. 

larryin89

sort of on topic . I went into watch this game in the local GAA club here in Dublin , now I have been in here 100s of times and anytime I went to watch GAA It was on but fook me they weren't showing it. I asked the barman and he just said sorry I've asked and they want the rugby on. I was disgusted tbh genuinely .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

red hander

Quote from: larryin89 on May 05, 2015, 11:10:59 PM
sort of on topic . I went into watch this game in the local GAA club here in Dublin , now I have been in here 100s of times and anytime I went to watch GAA It was on but fook me they weren't showing it. I asked the barman and he just said sorry I've asked and they want the rugby on. I was disgusted tbh genuinely .

Jackeens? Whatdya expect, sure look at that Indiana boyo  ;)

Fuzzman

Quote from: orangeman on May 05, 2015, 01:28:07 PM
Quote from: mick999 on May 05, 2015, 12:59:25 PM
The Examiner had a good piece on the fallout from this game today :
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/john-fogarty/john-fogarty-two-guilty-parties-as-u-21-final-row-rages-328728.html

Good article and highlights the fact that Tipp would / could / should have been down to 14 with O'Brien being black carded or red carded which removes a lot of Tipp's arguments.

Great article but if you read most of my posts in this thread it is saying exactly what I have been saying the whole time. Both teams guilty of some cynicism but most of Tyrones was in the final 15 mins where they had the experience to close out the game and the clock as he said. Might not be fair in some eyes but its the difference in winning and losing some times. Dubs did it v Mayo in their last AI win yet it is called something else with them.
I posted that it could have been 14 v 15 after 11 mins which would have had a massive negative effect on the game as a contest as MF was Tipps strongest position.
Funny isn't it that when a journalist makes the same points as someone on here its seen as much more balanced and accurate.

I noticed he didn't mention this knee into the head incident and can someone tell me what minute in the game was it as I missed it twice as well?

I'm very pleased he highlighted the Cassidy incident where he got sent off but again he doesn't say what the umpire saw him do but I watched it a few times and can only see him pushing the forward backwards after he fouled the keeper. There seemed very little in it to me but I am biased of course. Cassidy looked perplexed when he got sent off. The umpire seemed adamant it was a yellow card but how he didn't see the huge swing punch is a mystery to me. Biased Umpire? Who knows? Tyrone fans behind him probably gave him a hard time.

Speaking of Tyrone fans I have to say this. I was totally appalled at the booing of frees which probably did cause the Tipp No 13 to miss a few. I was so annoyed I actually shouted out when it went quiet to pack it in we are NOT the Dubs or Donegal lads. A few turned and said well said to me but it made little impact on the mainly younger lads who were the main culprits.

Anyway I'm glad to see the Tipp lads have settled their heads a bit and are more gracious in defeat. I don't think we have been bad winners as there has been so much shite posted about us after this win.

One final controversial point I will raise.
I think a lot of neutrals and even media pundits naturally all wanted Tipperary to win as would I had it not been against Tyrone. I especially noticed here in Dublin a lot of very annoyed Dub fans who seem to hate Tyrone and most things Ulster. I thought about this today and wondered could this be because Dublin finally have an amazing group of talented and athletic footballers who can play very attractive exciting football. However, Jim McGuinness came along a few years ago with a new advanced defensive system where almost soccer style decided to bring nearly everyone behind the ball and let the other team frustrate themselves trying to break down the wall and then when the ball is turned over to play on the break
Having painfully fell on this sword last year, the Dubs now are again worried these tactics is a big obstacle for them winning 5 in a row if not more. Not only have Donegal mastered this now but so have the Dubs biggest rivals Kerry.
Soooooooo....
To see an U21 team come through and beat the team that beat the Dubs and also beat the team the Dubs beat last year in the final, it must be very annoying that this negative style of football is being rewarded by winning an AI on all fronts now.
They see this type of game as the scourge of GAA as they play it so eloquently but they fear now maybe another team who almost beat them in the league can challenge them again later in the year.
Personally I doubt we'll get that far myself but the Dubs are worried.

Tyrone_redhand

Tipperary must be the biggest whingers in GAA right now. It's over , youse were beaten  ::)

omaghjoe

Quote from: sligoman2 on May 05, 2015, 10:25:30 PM
Enjoying this thread immensely. for the record I don't know who sligoman is but he's makes some interesting points sure enough 😇😇😇😇😇

WTF there's 2 of ye,  :D

This is the thread that just keeps giving

omaghjoe

Quote from: Slievenamon on May 05, 2015, 06:33:13 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 05, 2015, 12:28:49 AM
Quote from: Slievenamon on May 04, 2015, 11:48:41 PM
Excuse me please.  As a follower of Tipperary football I wish to congratulate Tyrone on a fine win on Saturday evening.  We are quiet simply in bits but I am sure they will recover quickly and move on.  I want to address the game in an honest way and I suppose a starting point would be to offer sympathy to the family of Tipperary man Dom Browne who sadly passed away at half time.
     I thought there were three phases in the game.  The opening half was one where Tipp went at Tyrone and were well worth their lead at the break.  In fact but for the final few mins of the half we could have went in 4 points up.  A wrong option by our centre forward as we led by three was intercepted and Tyrone quickly pointed to reduce the gap to just two at the break.  The 3rd 1/4 saw Tyrone absolutely dominate and Tipp struggled to cope with the pace.  Tyrone nearly goaled early in the half.  Then at two points up a long range free came off the cross bar Tyrone broke pointed and from the kickout scored a brilliant goal. 
     This then is where Tipp had grumbles.  As the goal scorer was being treated the whole mood changed in the game.  Throughout the field Tyrone players goaded the Tipp players. Pushing, pulling , laughing in their faces and generally acting in a manner unfitting of the occasion.  I have seen rough play down the years and you must accept that.  Steven O'Brien was lucky to be left on the field after stamping on an opponent.   This was a dirty foul and I would not condone it.  But some of the stuff in the last 14 minutes were disgusting.  If I thought that either Tipperary or Clonmel Commercials would revert to this it would finish me with football so hopefully that wont happen.  The coaches can deny that they coached this way but it is as obvious that once a lead was got we spoil the game.  On two occasions in the dying minutes a hugely organised sideline for Tyrone "failed" to get a message to the man being taken off to allow a sub in.  The whole lot was orchestrated.  Now the incident at the end was not of Tyrones making. Okay a Tyrone man ran an opponent into a goal post but he was dealt with by the ref but failing to throw the ball in is boggling.  Throwing it in didnt mean we would have won the throw in but thats not the point.
      Now I dont want to come on here and just whinge.  I have been as honest as I can and I really enjoyed the game as a spectacle up to the Tyrone goal.  The two teams were wonderful in appalling conditions but for me the antics in the final 1/4 marred it for me  more that the loss.  Well done to Tyrone again and for Tipp we need to dust down beat Waterford and get some sort of a run in the championship.

Your views are fair enuff I don't agree with the half of them most likely as we are viewing them through completely different lens. For example I thought Tyrone were the better team in the first half and should have been well ahead AT HALF TIME because the wides they hit were seriously wasteful not to mention McNulty fumbling a ball that would have lead to a certain goal.

Now I did not see any evidence of goading pushing and pulling but I was only watching it on the box, but let me say this, if it did happen it should not have, it stupid and childish and does not help the perpetrators in the slightest.
I remember being found of the old sledging myself as a youth and getting a ferocious rollicking from a manager about it, Did it stop me? Course not, I couldn't help myself when those lough-shore slabbers would start:) did I play better when I didnt do it? Of course I did. It is stupid carryon but you cant tell young lads some things.
However it happens up and down the country every week at all levels and I would doubt very much that it doesn't happen in Tipperary as well. But lets not get carries away you got to live in real world let me tell you about another manager I had at juvenile level that I think he may have had a similar attitude to yourself . We got into a free for all in a friendly and he refused to talk to us he even had his assistant do all the talking at training. This went for a good month, while matches were going on and everything! He was making a point that it was unacceptable but did it stop rows? Course not young lads are as mad as a box of frogs some times.

But thanks for your post and commiserations on your loss, yous played well Saturday and put up a valiant display and done your county proud

Fair play we all have differing opinions and that is what sport is all about.  As I said (but it was largely ignored) the game on Saturday was as good as you want to see.  I would know most of our lads and while I knew we had a strong team this year I under estimated them but thought they were superb all year.  They were beaten by the better team on Saturday although they went mighty close.  What I would love to have seen on Saturday is that the pattern of the game in the 1st 45 minutes continued for the final 1/4.  If it did actually Tyrone may have won easier we wont ever know.  Losing an All Ireland is a bitter pill to swallow as we all know but the last 15 mins makes it even more bitter.  As I say we must lick our wounds get up and get going again.  The club scene restarts tomorrow night so that will clear the heads a bit.  BTW I have a vision of both counties clashing in the senior qualifiers .  That would be interesting. Prob the same result but interesting none the less.  Enjoy folks.

Yeah it was a good game although as a supporter I hate tight games I much preferred the 12-point hammerings we used to dish out (which are a distant memory these days). Anyway you are right about the final 1/4 Tyrone did go into their shell to see out the game which is frustrating as I feel they could have kicked on (rose tinted glasses obiviously) and finished with a margin.

BTW this has been a great thread for you introduction on this board, they aren't usually like this. Egos get the better of people and they take the thing far to seriously and go on and on and on.

nrico2006

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 06, 2015, 04:06:01 AM
Excuse me please.  As a follower of Tipperary football I wish to congratulate Tyrone on a fine win on Saturday evening.  We are quiet simply in bits but I am sure they will recover quickly and move on.  I want to address the game in an honest way and I suppose a starting point would be to offer sympathy to the family of Tipperary man Dom Browne who sadly passed away at half time.
     I thought there were three phases in the game.  The opening half was one where Tipp went at Tyrone and were well worth their lead at the break.  In fact but for the final few mins of the half we could have went in 4 points up.  A wrong option by our centre forward as we led by three was intercepted and Tyrone quickly pointed to reduce the gap to just two at the break.  The 3rd 1/4 saw Tyrone absolutely dominate and Tipp struggled to cope with the pace.  Tyrone nearly goaled early in the half.  Then at two points up a long range free came off the cross bar Tyrone broke pointed and from the kickout scored a brilliant goal. 
     This then is where Tipp had grumbles.  As the goal scorer was being treated the whole mood changed in the game.  Throughout the field Tyrone players goaded the Tipp players. Pushing, pulling , laughing in their faces and generally acting in a manner unfitting of the occasion.  I have seen rough play down the years and you must accept that.  Steven O'Brien was lucky to be left on the field after stamping on an opponent.   This was a dirty foul and I would not condone it.  But some of the stuff in the last 14 minutes were disgusting.  If I thought that either Tipperary or Clonmel Commercials would revert to this it would finish me with football so hopefully that wont happen.  The coaches can deny that they coached this way but it is as obvious that once a lead was got we spoil the game.  On two occasions in the dying minutes a hugely organised sideline for Tyrone "failed" to get a message to the man being taken off to allow a sub in.  The whole lot was orchestrated.  Now the incident at the end was not of Tyrones making. Okay a Tyrone man ran an opponent into a goal post but he was dealt with by the ref but failing to throw the ball in is boggling.  Throwing it in didnt mean we would have won the throw in but thats not the point.
      Now I dont want to come on here and just whinge.  I have been as honest as I can and I really enjoyed the game as a spectacle up to the Tyrone goal.  The two teams were wonderful in appalling conditions but for me the antics in the final 1/4 marred it for me  more that the loss.  Well done to Tyrone again and for Tipp we need to dust down beat Waterford and get some sort of a run in the championship.

Your views are fair enuff I don't agree with the half of them most likely as we are viewing them through completely different lens. For example I thought Tyrone were the better team in the first half and should have been well ahead AT HALF TIME because the wides they hit were seriously wasteful not to mention McNulty fumbling a ball that would have lead to a certain goal.

Now I did not see any evidence of goading pushing and pulling but I was only watching it on the box, but let me say this, if it did happen it should not have, it stupid and childish and does not help the perpetrators in the slightest.
I remember being found of the old sledging myself as a youth and getting a ferocious rollicking from a manager about it, Did it stop me? Course not, I couldn't help myself when those lough-shore slabbers would start:) did I play better when I didnt do it? Of course I did. It is stupid carryon but you cant tell young lads some things.
However it happens up and down the country every week at all levels and I would doubt very much that it doesn't happen in Tipperary as well. But lets not get carries away you got to live in real world let me tell you about another manager I had at juvenile level that I think he may have had a similar attitude to yourself . We got into a free for all in a friendly and he refused to talk to us he even had his assistant do all the talking at training. This went for a good month, while matches were going on and everything! He was making a point that it was unacceptable but did it stop rows? Course not young lads are as mad as a box of frogs some times.

But thanks for your post and commiserations on your loss, yous played well Saturday and put up a valiant display and done your county proud

Fair play we all have differing opinions and that is what sport is all about.  As I said (but it was largely ignored) the game on Saturday was as good as you want to see.  I would know most of our lads and while I knew we had a strong team this year I under estimated them but thought they were superb all year.  They were beaten by the better team on Saturday although they went mighty close.  What I would love to have seen on Saturday is that the pattern of the game in the 1st 45 minutes continued for the final 1/4.  If it did actually Tyrone may have won easier we wont ever know.  Losing an All Ireland is a bitter pill to swallow as we all know but the last 15 mins makes it even more bitter.  As I say we must lick our wounds get up and get going again.  The club scene restarts tomorrow night so that will clear the heads a bit.  BTW I have a vision of both counties clashing in the senior qualifiers .  That would be interesting. Prob the same result but interesting none the less.  Enjoy folks.

Yeah it was a good game although as a supporter I hate tight games I much preferred the 12-point hammerings we used to dish out (which are a distant memory these days). Anyway you are right about the final 1/4 Tyrone did go into their shell to see out the game which is frustrating as I feel they could have kicked on (rose tinted glasses obiviously) and finished with a margin.

BTW this has been a great thread for you introduction on this board, they aren't usually like this. Egos get the better of people and they take the thing far to seriously and go on and on and on.

The big thing that I took from the game was that Tyrone were not at their best yet stuck at it and dug out the win.  Things weren't going well for them in the first half yet they never dropped the heads.  On another day they could have won that game by 6 or 7.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

theticklemister

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 06, 2015, 09:07:00 AM

The big thing that I took from the game was that Tyrone were not at their best yet stuck at it and dug out the win.  Things weren't going well for them in the first half yet they never dropped the heads.        On another day they could have won that game by 6 or 7.   

On another day it would have been on Sunday, Monday or Thursday too..............

You can't say that like, what happens if a different Tip team turned up on a different day?????

Fuzzman

I suspect you didn't make the trip Tickler but Tyrone kicked 10 sides in the first half and a weird short free kick than went horribly wrong. Considering Tipp should have been down to 14 and losing one of their best players I think Nrico could be justified with his post.
Of course Tipp battled hard too and when two up before the goal I was worried.
The way they came back in the final 5 mins we were very relieved to hear final whistle. I would have settled for a draw and another exciting game between two well matched teams.

tippabu

Quote from: theticklemister on May 06, 2015, 09:16:01 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 06, 2015, 09:07:00 AM

The big thing that I took from the game was that Tyrone were not at their best yet stuck at it and dug out the win.  Things weren't going well for them in the first half yet they never dropped the heads.        On another day they could have won that game by 6 or 7.   

On another day it would have been on Sunday, Monday or Thursday too..............

You can't say that like, what happens if a different Tip team turned up on a different day?????

Exactly, what if We scored the frees we should really have converted, what if it was a sunny day, what if we had the 4 forwards who were missing. The game was what it was and result is what it is. Anything could have happened if you're going through what ifs

nrico2006

Tyrone missed shooting chance that they would normally not, Tipp missed a free or two.  Who are these 4 stars that were missing?  Are they really that good and would they have made a difference?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Keyser soze

I can understand posters on here letting rip and being unhappy about how th game turned out, though the sour grapes form the Ros and Dubs supporters is laughable. There is a resounding silence when they are asked for any evidence of cynical play.

I can understand journalists promulgating lazy stereotypes, they have deadlines to meet. And again they don't have to produce any evidence, paper never refused ink as they say.

I can understand a county board official barring an opposing manager from the changing rooms, these people arent generally elected for their charisma or brains tbh.

I can understand a county board official going on the radio and having a good oul whinge about getting bate, as most county officials, in my experience, could talk sh*** for ages without any recourse to facts or even common sense.

But for the life of me I just cannot fathom how the manager of a county team could demnstrate such a lack of nous, class and sportmanship after a game. The man has completely lost all credibility. He more or less admitted his team were less street wise, couldnt manage the game as well and were more niave than their opponents i.e. the other team were better coached and managed than our lads. Buffoon.

AZOffaly

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 06, 2015, 10:17:33 AM
Tyrone missed shooting chance that they would normally not, Tipp missed a free or two.  Who are these 4 stars that were missing?  Are they really that good and would they have made a difference?

The 4 Tipp forwards that were missing were definitely better than the 4 that started in their place. However in the case of at least 2 of them, I think we may have to write them off unfortunately, as they are pursuing soccer scholarships in the US. Colman Kennedy is one of them. You may remember him as the minor that scored the cracking goal against Dublin in the 2011 final. He also scored a few great goals for Tipp in other games as well. He came on as a sub with the Seniors last year, having spent the year away from football until he joined up with our Juniors in the early summer. He played well enough then to get the call up.

More than anything I think the conditions made Saturday a bit of a lottery, so it's hard to say what would happen on a dry day between the same two teams. Sure hopefully we'll have a chance to see as the years go by and these teams meet in senior championships. If Tipp are playing Tyrone in meaningful championship games, then they will be on the right track.