All Ireland u21 football championship 2015

Started by giveballaghback, February 16, 2015, 09:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

OK. I still don't really get the tumble drier analogy, but I await Joe Brolly's use of the term during the summer :)

AZOffaly

Quote from: DermyTDredi on May 05, 2015, 01:26:07 PM
Even if this thread gets to 1,000 pages, it still only represents the muttering and yapping of an insignifcant few...one of the lads has a wee line under his name which says "if you were any use, you'd be playing"...or something like that.

The more you try and attack, the more we try and defend, and the more we try and defend, the more you try and attack...ultimately there none of us high level coaches or players...maybe some that were and some that could be....but to paraphrase your man "if we had any sense, we'd be working..."

Each to their own and good luck your respective seasons - seasons which now suggest great possibility for every county...getting  a run in the qualifiers, getting to a provincial final, last four, all Ireland winner....each team will have a goal and each management team will be doing their best to get as far as they can in their respective tournaments.

Ideally I would like to see tyrone get to an all ireland final and win it, playing beautiful football, the way you all remember your own counties playing it in the golden years, but realistically, Id settle for a better year than last year and a good run in the qualifiers with some of those u21s getting a run at a place.

All irelands dont come along every year - even for kerry. And what our team did at the weekend was fulfil the aspirations of every u21 player on the island....win an all ireland.

I'm happy to let them revel in their greatness even if it may only be for one day

Hey! Who are you calling insignificant? I'm a legend in my own mind.

sligoman

You must never have seen Frankie Dolan or Francie Grehan play Syferus.

INDIANA

Quote from: ONeill on May 05, 2015, 12:27:58 AM
"One of the Tyrone defenders, for 45 mins, smiled at him and talked into his ear. It was scandalous."

Then the journalist talks about Tyrone doing their homework on family members and how they were a disgrace to the organisation.

What a shower.

You have form on the family members thing. Or is your well oiled propaganda machine going to deny that too?

DermyTDredi

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 05, 2015, 01:46:05 PM
Even if this thread gets to 1,000 pages, it still only represents the muttering and yapping of an insignifcant few...one of the lads has a wee line under his name which says "if you were any use, you'd be playing"...or something like that.

The more you try and attack, the more we try and defend, and the more we try and defend, the more you try and attack...ultimately there none of us high level coaches or players...maybe some that were and some that could be....but to paraphrase your man "if we had any sense, we'd be working..."

Each to their own and good luck your respective seasons - seasons which now suggest great possibility for every county...getting  a run in the qualifiers, getting to a provincial final, last four, all Ireland winner....each team will have a goal and each management team will be doing their best to get as far as they can in their respective tournaments.

Ideally I would like to see tyrone get to an all ireland final and win it, playing beautiful football, the way you all remember your own counties playing it in the golden years, but realistically, Id settle for a better year than last year and a good run in the qualifiers with some of those u21s getting a run at a place.

All irelands dont come along every year - even for kerry. And what our team did at the weekend was fulfil the aspirations of every u21 player on the island....win an all ireland.

I'm happy to let them revel in their greatness even if it may only be for one day

Hey! Who are you calling insignificant? I'm a legend in my own mind.

I was obviously thinking of Syferus when i wrote that!!!

Gabriel_Hurl

100 pages - must watch this game to see what all the fuss is about

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: sligoman on May 05, 2015, 01:49:44 PM
You must never have seen Frankie Dolan or Francie Grehan play Syferus.

I'm glad you brought that up, Karl Mannion repeatedly cleaning David McKenna out of it in mid air in the 2011 AI club final.  Curran feigning injury in the 2013 semi, to get a man sent off.  Not cynical at all, at all. 

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on May 05, 2015, 01:42:41 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 05, 2015, 01:28:00 PM
Sorry, I wasn't picking up on the spelling. I'm genuinely curious. I don't know what you mean by that. I have visions of lads rolling around on the ground fighting or something, but I didn't see much of that on Saturday.

If you saw what McNulty did to Ronan Daly in the semi-final you'd get it. He must have run the gauntlet of everything from strikes to pulling, choking, wrestling on the ground nevermind mouthing. All when Tyrone had the match in the bag. That was the moment I knew there was something deeper to their antics than the usual sledging you see. McNulty couldn't even turn it off when they had the win in the bag.

Tyrone won't listen to anyone that doesn't file it away under 'normal' football behavior but it's hard to make a case that a team with as many cards (many of them black in Ulster) and as many incidents as this Tyrone team had didn't go noticeably beyond what is expected.

They deserved to win but their manner of doing it left a sour taste in a lot of peoples' mouths, it seems.

Feck me are you still bleating on about this?? You seem to be the only person who actually did see it! What about all the dirty hoors that have played for you over the years as highlighted by Sligoman last night, I'm sure they were prone to the odd tumble drier?
That was never a square ball!!

The Black Mamba

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 05, 2015, 02:17:53 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 05, 2015, 01:42:41 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 05, 2015, 01:28:00 PM
Sorry, I wasn't picking up on the spelling. I'm genuinely curious. I don't know what you mean by that. I have visions of lads rolling around on the ground fighting or something, but I didn't see much of that on Saturday.

If you saw what McNulty did to Ronan Daly in the semi-final you'd get it. He must have run the gauntlet of everything from strikes to pulling, choking, wrestling on the ground nevermind mouthing. All when Tyrone had the match in the bag. That was the moment I knew there was something deeper to their antics than the usual sledging you see. McNulty couldn't even turn it off when they had the win in the bag.

Tyrone won't listen to anyone that doesn't file it away under 'normal' football behavior but it's hard to make a case that a team with as many cards (many of them black in Ulster) and as many incidents as this Tyrone team had didn't go noticeably beyond what is expected.

They deserved to win but their manner of doing it left a sour taste in a lot of peoples' mouths, it seems.

Feck me are you still bleating on about this?? You seem to be the only person who actually did see it! What about all the dirty hoors that have played for you over the years as highlighted by Sligoman last night, I'm sure they were prone to the odd tumble drier?
Quite a number of the Rossies in the stand saw it actually, myself included.

Gabriel_Hurl

Cynical Rossie hoors  ::) - and this at minor level - what are they teaching them at that young age?  ::)

BennyHarp

Ah come on - did you not know that Indiana has loads of All Ireland medals? Giveballacksback played in the Hank Traynor cup and Stallion knows an ex Tyrone county player? What more qualifications do you need?
That was never a square ball!!

Over the Bar

I see Declan Browne has come out to say well done to Tyrone as worthy winners and for Tipp to accept they were beaten fair and square and to quit engaging in the begrudgery and the sour-grapes to that is embarrassing the county.

Perhaps that will be the end of it from Tipp perspective but no doubt the gobshoites from other counties on here will attempt to keep it going for a while yet. 

Slievenamon

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 05, 2015, 12:28:49 AM
Quote from: Slievenamon on May 04, 2015, 11:48:41 PM
Excuse me please.  As a follower of Tipperary football I wish to congratulate Tyrone on a fine win on Saturday evening.  We are quiet simply in bits but I am sure they will recover quickly and move on.  I want to address the game in an honest way and I suppose a starting point would be to offer sympathy to the family of Tipperary man Dom Browne who sadly passed away at half time.
     I thought there were three phases in the game.  The opening half was one where Tipp went at Tyrone and were well worth their lead at the break.  In fact but for the final few mins of the half we could have went in 4 points up.  A wrong option by our centre forward as we led by three was intercepted and Tyrone quickly pointed to reduce the gap to just two at the break.  The 3rd 1/4 saw Tyrone absolutely dominate and Tipp struggled to cope with the pace.  Tyrone nearly goaled early in the half.  Then at two points up a long range free came off the cross bar Tyrone broke pointed and from the kickout scored a brilliant goal. 
     This then is where Tipp had grumbles.  As the goal scorer was being treated the whole mood changed in the game.  Throughout the field Tyrone players goaded the Tipp players. Pushing, pulling , laughing in their faces and generally acting in a manner unfitting of the occasion.  I have seen rough play down the years and you must accept that.  Steven O'Brien was lucky to be left on the field after stamping on an opponent.   This was a dirty foul and I would not condone it.  But some of the stuff in the last 14 minutes were disgusting.  If I thought that either Tipperary or Clonmel Commercials would revert to this it would finish me with football so hopefully that wont happen.  The coaches can deny that they coached this way but it is as obvious that once a lead was got we spoil the game.  On two occasions in the dying minutes a hugely organised sideline for Tyrone "failed" to get a message to the man being taken off to allow a sub in.  The whole lot was orchestrated.  Now the incident at the end was not of Tyrones making. Okay a Tyrone man ran an opponent into a goal post but he was dealt with by the ref but failing to throw the ball in is boggling.  Throwing it in didnt mean we would have won the throw in but thats not the point.
      Now I dont want to come on here and just whinge.  I have been as honest as I can and I really enjoyed the game as a spectacle up to the Tyrone goal.  The two teams were wonderful in appalling conditions but for me the antics in the final 1/4 marred it for me  more that the loss.  Well done to Tyrone again and for Tipp we need to dust down beat Waterford and get some sort of a run in the championship.

Your views are fair enuff I don't agree with the half of them most likely as we are viewing them through completely different lens. For example I thought Tyrone were the better team in the first half and should have been well ahead AT HALF TIME because the wides they hit were seriously wasteful not to mention McNulty fumbling a ball that would have lead to a certain goal.

Now I did not see any evidence of goading pushing and pulling but I was only watching it on the box, but let me say this, if it did happen it should not have, it stupid and childish and does not help the perpetrators in the slightest.
I remember being found of the old sledging myself as a youth and getting a ferocious rollicking from a manager about it, Did it stop me? Course not, I couldn't help myself when those lough-shore slabbers would start:) did I play better when I didnt do it? Of course I did. It is stupid carryon but you cant tell young lads some things.
However it happens up and down the country every week at all levels and I would doubt very much that it doesn't happen in Tipperary as well. But lets not get carries away you got to live in real world let me tell you about another manager I had at juvenile level that I think he may have had a similar attitude to yourself . We got into a free for all in a friendly and he refused to talk to us he even had his assistant do all the talking at training. This went for a good month, while matches were going on and everything! He was making a point that it was unacceptable but did it stop rows? Course not young lads are as mad as a box of frogs some times.

But thanks for your post and commiserations on your loss, yous played well Saturday and put up a valiant display and done your county proud

Fair play we all have differing opinions and that is what sport is all about.  As I said (but it was largely ignored) the game on Saturday was as good as you want to see.  I would know most of our lads and while I knew we had a strong team this year I under estimated them but thought they were superb all year.  They were beaten by the better team on Saturday although they went mighty close.  What I would love to have seen on Saturday is that the pattern of the game in the 1st 45 minutes continued for the final 1/4.  If it did actually Tyrone may have won easier we wont ever know.  Losing an All Ireland is a bitter pill to swallow as we all know but the last 15 mins makes it even more bitter.  As I say we must lick our wounds get up and get going again.  The club scene restarts tomorrow night so that will clear the heads a bit.  BTW I have a vision of both counties clashing in the senior qualifiers .  That would be interesting. Prob the same result but interesting none the less.  Enjoy folks.

giveballaghback

Is bennyharp the new Oliver Callen? or is he Oliver Twist.

Rodman

Quote from: giveballaghback on May 05, 2015, 12:57:49 AM
Rodman what is there to understand, I have played for and captained Roscommon district league in the oscar traynor cup, I have played underage inter county football, I have won county medals at every age group, and have coached underage club teams, the direction our games have taken is wrong in every way,
this is not the example we should be setting for our young people apart from the fact that what is going on in some gaelic football matches is bordering on criminal and I dont say that lightly or to get advantage or to help make my point, think about it for a minute, leave your allegiances aside for once, would you want your son engaging in these tactics? if your answer is yes there is no more to be said.

I had no idea what the Oscar Traynor cup was so I admit to using google......so those of you who don't know, it is a prestigious soccer tournament somewhere in Roscommon, about 10 grades below league of Ireland.  Well done on captaining this team, i'm sure you played lovely free flowing football with not a bit of cynical play or time wasting in sight.....thanks for sharing that with us.  But back to the real world, every single team in every sport engages in cynical play and time wasting at some stage. Tyrone did it for the last 5 minutes of an all ireland final while clinging on to a slender lead against an excellent team.....hardly cause for a national up roar.