2015 Laois Senior Football

Started by redsetanta, February 13, 2015, 12:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILikeStrawberryJam

Great fightback on Saturday. We were poor in the first half and when we went 7 down
it looked bleak. JOL, Timmons, Donie led the fightback. Donies switch to CHF made
the difference and they couldn't handle JOL direct running. I thought after the Cavan match we were screwed and that TOF was clueless but these lads are proving me wrong.
Timmons was excellent on bray. Paul begley was tigerish and o Connor while having none of the instincts of a corner back really grew into the game. His pace was important.
Thought Colm begley showed great experience and never gave the ball away.
Paul Kingston looks to be made of the right stuff. Couple of great points.
What drove me nuts as the game went into the last 15 minutes was Boyles lack of stamina and glaring lack of pace. He's a nice composed footballer but can't do 70 mins
And some of his attempts at tackling were awful when they ran at us towards the end.
Ross tried hard but just didn't happen for him. Didn't happen for Evan or young Dillon but they deserve a bit of support it takes time at this level.
We are doing well with a threadbare squad.
Galway will be a huge test but we have some good leaders in that team and you'd never know. Hopefully we can get a big crowd for the Kildare match it will be a relegation decider more than likely.

Unlaoised

Delighted with a draw but the players were disappointed I heard afterwards...

It was a great fightback from a team that looked dead and buried.

Quigley and O'Loughlin were superb in the middle.

The backs to a man were good in the second half especially Mark Timmons.

It's a pity we didn't play Galway a few weeks back when the lads were really up for it that day and Glaway were short as we would be nearly safe now...

Who's to say we can't go win next weekend if the players show the same spirit as they did in Navan

Well done to everyone involved

LAOIS ABÚ

Giovanni

I assume the Corofin boys will be still drunk by next Sunday?  :P

Heshs Umpire

Hope Lundy is unavailable for them. Class footballer.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

OTF

Quote from: Giovanni on March 18, 2015, 10:38:35 AM
I assume the Corofin boys will be still drunk by next Sunday?  :P

As any self respecting clubman would be.

Great effort on Saturday night ,the first half was more of the same rubbish we played all last summer the second half was very good and is how we should play.
The backs more or less keeping their positions and not getting caught out up field.
Donnie coming to the forty and Ross playing in front of goal made a huge difference but the whole team had a better shape. Colm Begley comes in for a lot of stick from time to time but for me he was excellent in both half's on Saturday .
We have momentum now and will give Galway plenty of it if we produce the second half performance and shape.

Unlaoised

I hope a few more travel to Tuam on Sunday to show their support for the team...I'm sure that come back that a lot of people will have seen on the box will encourage people to go out and watch the lads again.

Yes we are missing loads of players but there is still great talent in the team.
Mark Timmons,Colm Begley,John O'Loughlin Brendan Quigley,Donie Kingston and Ross Munnelly are as good as you'll get in most county teams...With young players like Graham Brody,Evan O'Carroll Tom shiel and Paul Kingston maybe the doom and Gloom that was there earlier can be left behind.

I also think that Conor Boyle's switch to Centre forward has been a master stroke he might not have great pace but he is a great ball player that can kick a point and never gives the ball away.

LAOIS ABÚ

Unlaoised

Presuming the team will be the same only O'connor for Hanrahan ...Maybe Finn/Kingston for Dillion...

Paul Kingston seems to be working better from the bench maybe Evan O'Carroll could do with a break as he looked very tired the last day!
LAOIS ABÚ

Giovanni

Do we know anything about Hanrahan's injury? Overall, I thought we was making a very good fist of the corner back position.

As regards the selection of Dillon, I would imagine that if the manager has some doubts about him, he shouldn't start him (rather than giving him the benefit of the doubt to start and then whip him off when a few things go wrong). This thing of taking people off early all the time can be very damaging to a player's confidence. Anyway, it would be hard to leave Paul Kingston on the bench on the basis of his last 2 performances.

OTF

I also think that Conor Boyle's switch to Centre forward has been a master stroke he might not have great pace but he is a great ball player that can kick a point and never gives the ball away.
[/quote]

I'd have to disagree there,I thing it was Donie's arrival  here played a big part last week.
This is his best  position he can comfortable score from 40 yards.
Ross need to play close to goal if not in front,he can't do any damage out at the corner flag and Donie is the man to give him the right ball.
The six backs must hold their positioned with a bit of help from wing forwards and Quigley maybe, at this stage we know what will happen if the get turned over up the field.
There won't be much in this game and hopefully we can come out on top.

TomBoy

I would agree with Unlaoised regarding the importance of Boyle to the team. His foot passing is probably the best on the team and he shows great composure on the ball. Maybe centre forward isn't the place for him but without doubt he needs to be playing around the middle third of the field to take advantage of his vision, brain and footballing ability.

Dillon has been unlucky in the games he has played. In fairness to the chap he is trying his heart out and that is clear to anybody who has attended the games he has played in. He is constantly moving and looking for the ball in attack, while tackling and chasing defenders when our opponents have the ball. Perhaps his eagerness is playing against him and he seems to struggle to get his hands on the ball at times. TOF has given him a chance by playing him and maybe he just needs more time to get used to the pace of this level. I still feel that Dillon has something to offer the squad.

This weekend is an important game for us and one that we could get something out of if we play to our potential. But that is a big if considering the inconsistency and Jekyll/Hyde nature of our recent performances.

Giovanni

I would also agree that Boyle's move to the forwards has been a positive thing. It is true that he hasn't great pace, which is why it's better that he shouldn't play wing back. He reminds me a bit of Bruno - he lost his pace and the move into the forwards gave him a new lease of life. I think the role he played against Meath suited him very well.

Unlaoised

I was right its the same team except Damien O'connor in for Hanrahan.....
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Senior Football v Galway 2015-03-20 12:20:00    

Laois Senior Football Manager Tomás O'Flaharta has announced his starting 15 for Laois' crucial Allianz League Division 2 encounter with Galway on Sunday at 2pm in Tuam.

1. Graham Brody (Portlaoise)

2. Paul Begley (Stradbally)

3. Mark Timmons (Graiguecullen)

4. Damien O'Connor (Timahoe)

5. Darren Strong (Emo)

6. Robbie Kehoe (O'Dempsey's)

7. Colm Begley (Parnells)

8. Brendan Quigley (Timahoe)

9. John O'Loughlin (St Brigid's)

10. Niall Donoher (Courtwood)

11. Conor Boyle (Portlaoise)

12. Gareth Dillon (Portlaoise)

13. Ross Munnelly (Arles-Kilcruise)

14. Donal Kingston (Arles-Killeen)

15. Evan O'Carroll (Crettyard)
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

SCFC

Huge game for us. A win would put us in a great position.

Defeat and we're looking for something from either a trip to Newry or the visit of Kildare who have had our number for some years now.

Good luck lads.

ILikeStrawberryJam

Well TOF is giving young Dillon every chance. Surely it would make more sense for him to come in off the bench. Would be less pressure on the lad. If things don't go well for him early today he'll be hawled off again destroying his confidence further. I hope he has a blinder. Its a big ask to get a result up there but not impossible. Need Ross to return to better form and for O'Connor to do OK in corner back.