2015 Laois Senior Football

Started by redsetanta, February 13, 2015, 12:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giovanni

Another good win today.

Played against a ferocious wind in the first half and could only manage 1-1. Our goal came out of a complete c**k up by the Galway keeper but fair play to Kingston who dispossessed him very cleanly and finished to an empty net. We had another goal chance (again Kingston) in the first half that was well saved by the keeper and a few attempts at points that were well off target to say the least. In that first half, we weren't doing as well in midfield as we had been doing but the defence did well enough against the strong wind - Galway had no goal chance all through and most of their scores came from long range shots and/or several handy frees (a good few of which were conceded by Robbie, who is a player I like but he needs to be more careful in the tackle).

Going in only 6 points down at half time, I was fairly confident we'd get back into the game. Although we ended up beating them by 12 points in the half, I didn't think we were as good as we have been. The midfield improved a bit but still wasn't dominant, Begley wasn't in the game as much as he has been, Boyle wasn't as influential as he was, Ross was still off colour (although he was getting to a lot of ball first). Kingston was really magnificent again and Donoher got through a good bit of work. Although they were taken off, I thought Evan O Carroll (in particular) and Paul Kingston did quite well although both subs (Shiel and Attride) both made their contributions. Overall, it was a good win but I'd imagine we'd have to be 25% better to give Kildare a game.

Final word on Marty Duffy who is............ undoubtedly one of the best referees in the country......

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Laois stun Galway with brilliant win
http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/2/2203151633-d2-football-laois-stun-galway-with-brilliant-win/

Laois manager Tomas O'Flatharta spoke to Jack Nolan after their comeback win over Galway
https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/tomas-oflatharta-post-galway-1

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

redsetanta

I have to hold my hands up and say I was wrong. Laois are far from relegation fodder and they are pulling results out of the fire so to speak. 7 points down last week, 6 down against Galway yesterday shows great fighting spirit and let it be said some good football. Someone posted earlier in the thread before the Roscommon game about the experienced players we have and they have led the way. Kingston is proving his ability and worth to the team and the introduction of some of the younger players has freshened things up. Shiel showed his ability lobbing the goalie.
After a very poor start they have got their act together. They are obviously fit as they are dominating the second haf in the recent games. Still not safe from relegation though as we need one more win but we might survive with another draw.

Fair play to the team and panel and it's good to admit I was wrong about these lads. If we're not careful we might actually get promoted!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

portlaoisekid

Have to give credit where credit is due, how TOF and the lads have turned this league around is nothing short of miraculous. The Kildare game will be tough and they certainly wont want Laois to be the ones to relegate them, of course as a county we would take no pleasure in that......

Giovanni

It was good to see a few more from Laois at the match by the way. Still not hundreds but at least you'd need more than two hands to count them. More of a reception of Laois yesterday than they got for the Roscommon match in Portlaoise so that's something.

Unlaoised

superb win...Donie was superb again for Laois and I thought the team worked as a unit to defend very well in the second half.

This bunch of players are proving people wrong I for one hope it continues to happen and everyone gets out and supports them here in Portlaoise next Saturday evening against Kildare!
LAOIS ABÚ

Thewildcat

big chance for laois to put kildare down into division 3 don't take the boot off the neck of kildare football lads, i know what kildare would do if the boot was on the other foot it would be there all ireland. :D

Teo Lurley

Great workrate and effort by the team. The wind made it really difficult for both teams. Galway had to put up a lead and 6 points was on the low side. Without the soft goal we would have been in trouble I think. We chipped away point by point and we were patient. We got it back to 2 and then they had a dominant 10 - 15 minute spell but they couldn't score.
The second goal was soft aswell but I felt we were on our way to winning anyway as we were level by then. Kingston was excellent again but we have the same problem that we need him at centre forward and full forward. The defence was very good in general but I think O'Connor is too loose for corner back. Not his fault as he hasn't played there regularly. Our midfield is strong but we need more scoring forwards. It was a difficult day to score in fairness.
Hopefully the goal will help Shiel settle and gain confidence at this level. As others have said, this is some turnaround and I didn't see it coming. They deserve support for the huge efforts they've been putting in and hopefully they get it Saturday night.

County Man

In terms of yesterdays game in Tuam, it really was a classic case of a game of two halves.

Donie's goal in the first half was massive, it meant the half time lead wasn't too large. The fact that Galway didn't score in the second half just shows the ferocity of the wind. Unpleasant conditions for football.

The lads stayed patient as we closed Galway's lead and we only got level with 6 minutes to play. We finished with a flourish then once young Shiel lobbed the keeper for the 2nd goal.

Was delighted to be there to witness another fine result. This team deserve a decent support at home in a local derby against our fierce rivals, Kildare. Hopefully now with the double header that a sizeable home support will be present.

I think its a 50/50 game against the Lilywhites and if we can produce second half displays like the last 3 matches, then we have every chance.

Saint75

Great win last weekend. Saturday will have a real championship edge to it. Great game to get to find out where we really are.

Unlaoised

Saturday night will big a big test despite Kildare's form in  the league they still have some quality players and a couple back for this one that they have been without all year.

They will bring massive numbers to Portlaoise(its nearly easier for them to get to here that their own pitch).As Saint75 says there will be a real edge to the game.

I hope Laois relax and play they game as they have in Navan and Galway without panic not matter how things are going.

The extra support there for the double header will make for a good atmosphere I for one am looking forward to it.
LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

After the first couple of rounds i wouldn't have given the game a 50/50 status but things have changed since then. In saying that Kildare have been very unlucky in a couple of their games and must be wondering how they only have 2 points. We have been playing second fiddle to them the past few years and they will be looking forward to the clash.
They have some excellent footballers and should bring a big crowd to O'Moore Park.
Doubt there'll be 30 on the pitch at the end of the game.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unlaoised

I still think Laois will need at least another point to be safe...Westmeath could beat cavan to go onto 6 and galway have Kildare at home last that could mean 6 for them....Its going to be a tight finish.Hopefully Down beat Meath and have qualified when we go to Newry on the 5th of April
LAOIS ABÚ

OTF

Quote from: redsetanta on March 24, 2015, 10:23:38 AM
After the first couple of rounds i wouldn't have given the game a 50/50 status but things have changed since then. In saying that Kildare have been very unlucky in a couple of their games and must be wondering how they only have 2 points. We have been playing second fiddle to them the past few years and they will be looking forward to the clash.
They have some excellent footballers and should bring a big crowd to O'Moore Park.
Doubt there'll be 30 on the pitch at the end of the game.
Agree with above, we did beat them in a crucial game ( for us ) in the league a few years back I cant remember the year. If we could get a win Saturday I'd promise God I'd be good and wouldn't take any pleasure from it. :)

The Boy Wonder

Yes - next Saturday will be a huge test with a lot at stake for both teams. Kildare have gotten the upper hand on us over the last 8/9 years - their backs are to the wall so there's no doubt but they will be up for it. It would be a massive boost for us to come out on top.