Mayo v Tyrone Sunday 8th February 2015

Started by Redhand Santa, February 02, 2015, 10:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on February 08, 2015, 09:10:29 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on February 08, 2015, 08:52:04 PM
How long do you give freeman in the 14 jersey? One more shot, two more , the whole league campaign ?

The lack of an alternative is keeping him there

I d say that s part of it but today could be the end of the line for him - as an inside target man anyway. Maybe he can be reinvented someplace else.

muppet

How long do you give freeman in the 14 jersey? One more shot, two more , the whole league campaign ?

Danny Kirby got injured at a bad time.
MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on February 08, 2015, 09:07:26 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 08, 2015, 08:47:54 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 08, 2015, 08:23:06 PM
We missed Chris Barrett's tenacity at the back.

If that's true moy, regarding management's 'mishandling of the situation' then I do despair.

From the Bunker, I love your 'learning' in February-type mindset, yet how come we have to learn every February? I said before some of the older players, McL, AOS, Vaughan etc need to stand up and start doing stuff on the field. Otherwise it could be a painful year for us. I wonder how many of the forwards spend time taking frees apart from Cillian?

There was a lot of experimenting in today's selection (and last weeks).

I m not sure any team we selected would have done any better against that system because we know now that they were not prepared for it properly.

If you asked me which game we learned more from (and you'd hope the Management learned more from) it was today's game.

I ve my doubts we ll learn anything from it. If we meet Tyrone later in the year it ll be more of the same. Jaysus, Tyrone did nothing new today. Who did they think was coming to town. Mary Poppins?

But at the same time I see what you re saying.

When I say learned, I don't mean they learned how to deal with the situation that arose. More so that they learned this can happen, will more than likely will happen and there is time to devise a system to deal with it.

Last weeks win over Kerry was good for morale and nice to put points on the table, but in the scheme of things was a dead rubber otherwise.

omagh_gael

Great result for us today, aesthetics can wait to another day!

Some immense performances out there. Personally thought Cathal McCarron had a stormer and Peter Hughes got through some amount of work.

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on February 08, 2015, 09:13:23 PM

Could Corduff do a job here? Dont know an awful lot about the lad to be honest but he has the size for it

Justin McMahon would love to see him or any other giant we could wheel out coming. Remember him or the brother put Donaghy in his box in 08. We can t handle any big ff (remember the scrios caused by Derry's McGuickin last year in McHale Park) but other counties can. Other counties fear skill and pace rather than size. We just don t have a big 14 that can play and until one emerges we should find another way.

Rossfan

Any betting on how many pages we'll get here especially with 2 blank weekends coming up :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 08, 2015, 09:20:36 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 08, 2015, 09:07:26 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 08, 2015, 08:23:06 PM
We missed Chris Barrett's tenacity at the back.

If that's true moy, regarding management's 'mishandling of the situation' then I do despair.

From the Bunker, I love your 'learning' in February-type mindset, yet how come we have to learn every February? I said before some of the older players, McL, AOS, Vaughan etc need to stand up and start doing stuff on the field. Otherwise it could be a painful year for us. I wonder how many of the forwards spend time taking frees apart from Cillian?

There was a lot of experimenting in today's selection (and last weeks).

I m not sure any team we selected would have done any better against that system because we know now that they were not prepared for it properly.

If you asked me which game we learned more from (and you'd hope the Management learned more from) it was today's game.

I ve my doubts we ll learn anything from it. If we meet Tyrone later in the year it ll be more of the same. Jaysus, Tyrone did nothing new today. Who did they think was coming to town. Mary Poppins?

But at the same time I see what you re saying.

When I say learned, I don't mean they learned how to deal with the situation that arose. More so that they learned this can happen, will more than likely will happen and there is time to devise a system to deal with it.

Last weeks win over Kerry was good for morale and nice to put points on the table, but in the scheme of things was a dead rubber otherwise.

Pateen had time to come up with a strategy for Diarmuid Connolly last year too. Didn t look like much thought was put into it. Look we all know what time of management we got. Leopards don t change their spots. Pat is not going to turn into a master tactician at this stage.

Nihilist

Quote from: moysider on February 08, 2015, 09:23:59 PM

Justin McMahon would love to see him or any other giant we could wheel out coming. Remember him or the brother put Donaghy in his box in 08. We can t handle any big ff (remember the scrios caused by Derry's McGuickin last year in McHale Park) but other counties can. Other counties fear skill and pace rather than size. We just don t have a big 14 that can play and until one emerges we should find another way.

All the top 4/5 counties have both options.
Kerry have donaghy Walsh along with O'Donogue (height and pace)
Dublin - O'Gara along with a myriad of forwards
Donegal - Murphy.McFadden along with Mcbrearty
Tyrone - Seán Cavanagh along with McCurry and Mattie Donnelly
Cork - plenty of guys

Both are needed to offer variation in a game when required. So Mayo probably need them too. Sweeney and Ronaldson won't cut it against the big guns when everyone much fitter and the hits much harder 

Nihilist

Quote from: moysider on February 08, 2015, 09:42:05 PM

Pateen had time to come up with a strategy for Diarmuid Connolly last year too. Didn t look like much thought was put into it. Look we all know what time of management we got. Leopards don t change their spots. Pat is not going to turn into a master tactician at this stage.

Out of curiosity how come you don't include Noel Connelly in the equation here? AFAIK it's a dual management role.

Whishtup

I blame Mayo for the blanket defence as their swarm attack shifted all play to the Tyrone half.

muppet

Quote from: Whishtup on February 08, 2015, 09:54:14 PM
I blame Mayo for the blanket defence as their swarm attack shifted all play to the Tyrone half.

Indeed, our swarm attack from our own kickouts pushed them into their own half before the ball was even placed. :D
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: Nihilist on February 08, 2015, 09:50:38 PM

Cork - plenty of guys

Both are needed to offer variation in a game when required. So Mayo probably need them too. Sweeney and Ronaldson won't cut it against the big guns when everyone much fitter and the hits much harder

True and unfortunately neither will Freeman it looks like.  Do you have a big lad in mind? I ve heard Byrne and Irwin mentioned but they might have their hands full at U21 yet.

moysider

Quote from: Nihilist on February 08, 2015, 09:52:49 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 08, 2015, 09:42:05 PM

Out of curiosity how come you don't include Noel Connelly in the equation here? AFAIK it's a dual management role.

Little bird told me that he s the man calling the shots. Probably easier sell to board members with Connelly on ticket because there wouldn t be great memories of Pat around from last time.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: moysider on February 08, 2015, 10:05:28 PM
Quote from: Nihilist on February 08, 2015, 09:50:38 PM

Cork - plenty of guys

True and unfortunately neither will Freeman it looks like.  Do you have a big lad in mind? I ve heard Byrne and Irwin mentioned but they might have their hands full at U21 yet.

I don't see any reason not to give Beirne and Irwin a run. I thought Diarmuid O'Connor was quiet today, but he came into the game more and more as it went on. Adam Gallagher worth another gallop or two as well.

Nihilist

Quote from: moysider on February 08, 2015, 10:05:28 PM

No I don't have a solution but it should be investigated broader. I'm surprised that Pat (if he is calling the shots) hasn't tried out  Barry Moran  or Kirby at FF. They did play in that position for him at club. Personally I would move Freeman to the corner and start Cillian at FF to see how it goes.