Mayo v Tyrone Sunday 8th February 2015

Started by Redhand Santa, February 02, 2015, 10:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Over the Bar on February 08, 2015, 07:30:00 PM
Surely O'Shea's on Morgan could only be deemed as either an accident (no sanction)  or dangerous play (yellow card).  Can anyone explain why a black card was shown?

Marty Duffy was linesman.
MWWSI 2017

mayoman dan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 08, 2015, 08:23:06 PM
We missed Chris Barrett's tenacity at the back.

If that's true moy, regarding management's 'mishandling of the situation' then I do despair.

From the Bunker, I love your 'learning' in February-type mindset, yet how come we have to learn every February? I said before some of the older players, McL, AOS, Vaughan etc need to stand up and start doing stuff on the field. Otherwise it could be a painful year for us. I wonder how many of the forwards spend time taking frees apart from Cillian?

Well said Farr lessons are not being learned and we keep makng the same mistakes over and over again

From the Bunker

Quote from: mayoman dan on February 08, 2015, 08:19:48 PM
Very worrying.Mickey Harte is a master tactician but he done nothing new or out of the ordinary today.The next few weeks will be interesting thats for sure

Tyrone did to us today what they did in the AI semi final in 2013. Two screaming points from Chris Barrett from nowhere, got us back into that game and put doubt into Tyrone minds as to their tactics would work. So to say this was a surprise tactic today after Tyrones game last week, is going into the game with blinkers. Anyway, I do understand that players have to be looked at, players have to be rested,  it's not about starting your strongest team at this time of the year. But we were rightly choked today and looked all over the place in dealing with the situation.

muppet

Let's face it.

Beaten at home by Ros in the FBD.
Beat a very makeshift Kerry team.
Well beaten at home by Tyrone.

Things would want to show signs of improvement within a couple of games.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

To be fair in 2013 Mayo and Tyrone were operating on different levels - Mayo destroying everyone in their path, Tyrone struggling over everyone but Offaly. It always felt like Tyrone would need to play a perfect game to even have a chance of winning. The second half of that game was a procession.

Difference now is more Mayo falling down to Tyrone's level, who themselves hardly had a powerhouse 2014. Only the early part of the league but C&H don't have a long leash with what they're following. Connacht might be interesting this year.

From the Bunker

If that's true moy, regarding management's 'mishandling of the situation' then I do despair.

From the Bunker, I love your 'learning' in February-type mindset, yet how come we have to learn every February? I said before some of the older players, McL, AOS, Vaughan etc need to stand up and start doing stuff on the field. Otherwise it could be a painful year for us. I wonder how many of the forwards spend time taking frees apart from Cillian?

Yea it's only February! Game two of the season. I'm not counting FBD, because the team representing us in that competition is only a shadow of the one that will represent us come Championship. There was a lot of experimenting in today's selection (and last weeks). Even many of our regulars are playing out of position. This (even in the strongest of teams) upsets balance. When we beat Kerry last week, I thought nothing more of it than 2 points. And this week losing to Tyrone is just a big fat Duck egg! If you asked me which game we learned more from (and you'd hope the Management learned more from) it was today's game.

Last year Derry finished their League Campaign pulling up and look how their Championship petered out!

larryin89

Quote from: Syferus on February 08, 2015, 08:35:17 PM
To be fair in 2013 Mayo and Tyrone were operating on different levels - Mayo destroying everyone in their path, Tyrone struggling over everyone but Offaly. It always felt like Tyrone would need to play a perfect game to even have a chance of winning. The second half of that game was a procession.

Difference now is more Mayo falling down to Tyrone's level, who themselves hardly had a powerhouse 2014. Only the early part of the league but C&H don't have a long leash with what they're following. Connacht might be interesting this year.

We have been telling you for a while now Syf but you and the rest of your brigade think it's a bit of silly beggars but it's not , Roscommon will play Galway in the connacht final this year. Nothing surer.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

larryin89

How long do you give freeman in the 14 jersey? One more shot, two more , the whole league campaign ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

muppet

Today we scored a total of 1-07. At home.

Yes it is the League and yes I know to all the usual caveats and cliches.

But can anyone remember the last time we scored as little as that against anyone? Only Limerick & The Diese scored less this weekend and they were both away from home.
MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

Quote from: muppet on February 08, 2015, 08:58:51 PM

But can anyone remember the last time we scored as little as that against anyone? Only Limerick & The Diese scored less this weekend and they were both away from home.

And the goal was a square ball!  :-\

We won a Connacht final scoring 1-5 back in 1993 in Hyde Park?

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 08, 2015, 08:47:54 PM

There was a lot of experimenting in today's selection (and last weeks).

I m not sure any team we selected would have done any better against that system because we know now that they were not prepared for it properly.

[/quote]

If you asked me which game we learned more from (and you'd hope the Management learned more from) it was today's game.

[/quote]

I ve my doubts we ll learn anything from it. If we meet Tyrone later in the year it ll be more of the same. Jaysus, Tyrone did nothing new today. Who did they think was coming to town. Mary Poppins?

But at the same time I see what you re saying.

Nihilist

Quote from: larryin89 on February 08, 2015, 08:52:04 PM
How long do you give freeman in the 14 jersey? One more shot, two more , the whole league campaign ?

Depends on the alternatives. Obviously Andy Moran will take it but there should be a different guy who might stand up. Someone younger is needed. Someone with nothing to lose. You'd imagine in a county the size of Mayo with the amount of clubs there are that there would be one big guy out there. Up to now though you had to be playing at minor or U21 level to be even considered nearly for Senior. I think it's time to look out side the box.

mayoman dan

The lack of an alternative is keeping him there

moysider

Quote from: muppet on February 08, 2015, 08:58:51 PM

Same total in Ballyshannon 3 leagues ago. Worse than today. They had 14 men for an hour of that :o

mayoman dan

Quote from: mayoman dan on February 08, 2015, 09:10:29 PM

The lack of an alternative is keeping him there

Could Corduff do a job here? Dont know an awful lot about the lad to be honest but he has the size for it