John Delaney singing Joe McDonnell

Started by theticklemister, November 25, 2014, 12:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

For what Joe McDonnell would have or not have done no one can predict, what we can say for certain is that he was a Republican, one who gave up his life for his beliefs. I'm in a band and I see on the circuit in Northern England. I have only mind singing Joe McDonnell once in last 6 months because I know the people we sing to don't want to hear it so we stick to folk tunes. We actual sung joe McDonnell in that time in Denmark to a rapturous  applause and it is my favourite ballad to sing, but I rarely get the chance because of my location. I love Republican ballads and it is my favourite genre but we can't get away with it here, so we do the Dubliners set. We are for Cork next weekend for three gigs so looking forward to a few more rebel tunes, yet again depending on the audience.

Now Delaney has made an absolute tool of himself here by retracting the fact that it was him singing.

If you don't have the balls to put your name to it , ye can go and take a walk.

Joe McDonnell is not a sectarian song, the sash and Billy's boys are.

seafoid

Quote from: balladmaker on November 27, 2014, 02:19:36 PM
QuoteIt's basically described as a republican ballad, which it is, albeit a f**king dreadful one

A matter of opinion, and one which you are entitled to, however, I'd disagree with that opinion.  It is definitely a ballad, it is definitely a ballad about a republican icon and how he gave his life for his beliefs. Personally, I view the song to be probably the finest ballad to emanate from Ireland for a generation.  That's my opinion, which I'm also entitled to ... peace.
probably the best . A very good song and I wouldn't be the biggest fan of the Wolfe Tones.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: theticklemister on November 27, 2014, 05:58:10 PM
For what Joe McDonnell would have or not have done no one can predict, what we can say for certain is that he was a Republican, one who gave up his life for his beliefs. I'm in a band and I see on the circuit in Northern England. I have only mind singing Joe McDonnell once in last 6 months because I know the people we sing to don't want to hear it so we stick to folk tunes. We actual sung joe McDonnell in that time in Denmark to a rapturous  applause and it is my favourite ballad to sing, but I rarely get the chance because of my location. I love Republican ballads and it is my favourite genre but we can't get away with it here, so we do the Dubliners set. We are for Cork next weekend for three gigs so looking forward to a few more rebel tunes, yet again depending on the audience.

Now Delaney has made an absolute tool of himself here by retracting the fact that it was him singing.

So a song glorifying the actions of a member of an organisation which carried out the massacre of 10 Protestant civilians at Kingsmill isn't sectarian, while a song about an Orange sash is? You're some boy!

Main Street

The Sash is nursery rhyme stuff, maybe it's sung by some strange folk.
Though I think the Dubliners had it in their repertoire once upon a time.

theticklemister

Quote from: Main Street on November 27, 2014, 09:00:45 PM

The Sash is nursery rhyme stuff, maybe it's sung by some strange folk.
Though I think the Dubliners had it in their repertoire once upon a time.

yip, wolfe tones recorded it about 5 years ago too

deiseach

Is there any republican song you would think was capable of giving offence to a reasonable person?

seafoid

Oh my name is John Delaney 
From Waherford I came
The  media  I never want to see again
For as a teddy bear 
I spent many happy days
And I loved that PR in oh so many ways
For it's there I spent my adult childhood
And found for me a partner 
I then set out to make for her an image
Oh but all my middle aged ambition
Met with bitterness and hate
I soon found myself inside a twitter storm 

And you dare to call me a hypocrite 
While you look down your Daily Mail
When I think of all the shite  that you have written-
You have plundered many headlines
Divided many decent football supporters 
You have infantilised their people
You rule with a big stick
And you brought this reign of terror to my job

Then one cold November's morning
I was trapped in the lion's den
And I found myself in the headlines once again
I was committed to the newspapers
For fourteen articles or more
With blanket condemnation the criticisms they were poor
Then an apology fightback  we did commence
For the dignity of man
But it seemed to me that no one gave a damn
Oh but now I am a saddened man
I've watched my reputation  die
If only people cared or wondered why

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

balladmaker

Quoteyip, wolfe tones recorded it about 5 years ago too

Their version had a touch of satire to it though and not the official version  :)

Applesisapples

Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 27, 2014, 06:23:05 PM

So a song glorifying the actions of a member of an organisation which carried out the massacre of 10 Protestant civilians at Kingsmill isn't sectarian, while a song about an Orange sash is? You're some boy!
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

seafoid

Quote from: balladmaker on November 28, 2014, 10:33:52 AM
Quoteyip, wolfe tones recorded it about 5 years ago too

Their version had a touch of satire to it though and not the official version  :)
Who wrote the song? Was it not one of the Wolfe Tones ?

mylestheslasher

Great song about a great man and a patriot unfortunately in this case sung by an overpaid clown.

theticklemister

Brian Warfield wrote this song, he is from wolfe tones.

Anyone in Birmingham tonight we are live in irish centre. Mon up day buck. John Delaney is in .

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: seafoid on November 28, 2014, 09:26:18 AM
Oh my name is John Delaney 
From Waherford I came
The  media  I never want to see again
For as a teddy bear 
I spent many happy days
And I loved that PR in oh so many ways
For it's there I spent my adult childhood
And found for me a partner 
I then set out to make for her an image
Oh but all my middle aged ambition
Met with bitterness and hate
I soon found myself inside a twitter storm 

And you dare to call me a hypocrite 
While you look down your Daily Mail
When I think of all the shite  that you have written-
You have plundered many headlines
Divided many decent football supporters 
You have infantilised their people
You rule with a big stick
And you brought this reign of terror to my job

Then one cold November's morning
I was trapped in the lion's den
And I found myself in the headlines once again
I was committed to the newspapers
For fourteen articles or more
With blanket condemnation the criticisms they were poor
Then an apology fightback  we did commence
For the dignity of man
But it seemed to me that no one gave a damn
Oh but now I am a saddened man
I've watched my reputation  die
If only people cared or wondered why

Jesus, that is embarrassing.

You are really deluded about your own talents. You are completely shit.