John Delaney singing Joe McDonnell

Started by theticklemister, November 25, 2014, 12:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Obviously that's what you think. I'd completely disagree.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

gallsman

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 27, 2014, 12:42:07 PM

Put it like this, would it be acceptable for the IFA (or FA) chairman to sing the Billy Boys in a pub?

AZOffaly

Quote from: gallsman on November 27, 2014, 01:13:29 PM

Put it like this, would it be acceptable for the IFA (or FA) chairman to sing the Billy Boys in a pub?

The Billy Boys is a bit of an extreme example. If you said the Sash, that would be similar and your question still stands.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 27, 2014, 01:28:47 PM

The Billy Boys is a bit of an extreme example. If you said the Sash, that would be similar and your question still stands.

It is, but I did it deliberately anticipating a particular response. What matters here is the perspective we apply to "our songs" vs "their songs". Because "ours" aren't about blood or guts or murder, we can't or refuse to comprehend that they might be considered offensive by others.

AZOffaly

I get your point. Just trying to preempt the responses about equivalence between the Joe McDonnell song and the Billy Boys.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 27, 2014, 01:35:32 PM
I get your point. Just trying to preempt the responses about equivalence between the Joe McDonnell song and the Billy Boys.

Oh they'll come alright. Can draw fair equivalence between them in that they're both utter bilge.

balladmaker

QuoteIt's basically described as a republican ballad, which it is, albeit a f**king dreadful one

A matter of opinion, and one which you are entitled to, however, I'd disagree with that opinion.  It is definitely a ballad, it is definitely a ballad about a republican icon and how he gave his life for his beliefs. Personally, I view the song to be probably the finest ballad to emanate from Ireland for a generation.  That's my opinion, which I'm also entitled to ... peace.

gallsman

Quote from: balladmaker on November 27, 2014, 02:19:36 PM
QuoteIt's basically described as a republican ballad, which it is, albeit a f**king dreadful one

A matter of opinion, and one which you are entitled to, however, I'd disagree with that opinion.  It is definitely a ballad, it is definitely a ballad about a republican icon and how he gave his life for his beliefs. Personally, I view the song to be probably the finest ballad to emanate from Ireland for a generation.  That's my opinion, which I'm also entitled to ... peace.

Perfectly entitled to it. Although you'd praise one of the Wolfe Tones farting and scratching their hole if they recorded it.

trueblue1234

Quote from: gallsman on November 27, 2014, 01:34:00 PM

It is, but I did it deliberately anticipating a particular response. What matters here is the perspective we apply to "our songs" vs "their songs". Because "ours" aren't about blood or guts or murder, we can't or refuse to comprehend that they might be considered offensive by others.

Would there be an issue with the Head of the FA in England singing about the British Army or laying a poppy day wreath? Not a bit, would be a none story. And he would come under no pressure to apologise for doing so. And rightly so. 

balladmaker

QuotePerfectly entitled to it. Although you'd praise one of the Wolfe Tones farting and scratching their hole if they recorded it.

;D Don't think I would, but just for you ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkxpgBFvS9s&index=24&list=PL_fDegjpDwfzgGnQP3HEOTI9-WMv-3ff3

muppet

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 27, 2014, 02:30:09 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 27, 2014, 01:34:00 PM

Would there be an issue with the Head of the FA in England singing about the British Army or laying a poppy day wreath? Not a bit, would be a none story. And he would come under no pressure to apologise for doing so. And rightly so.

Would you have any problem if he sang about the Black & Tans, or Cromwell, or The Parachute Regiment?
MWWSI 2017

trueblue1234

muppet

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 27, 2014, 02:46:31 PM
I asked first.

Your question was the equivalent of asking if Delaney sang the National Anthem or attended a ceremony at The Garden of Remembrance. I personally hate all that propaganda crap, whether it is the Poppy or its desperately sad imitation, the Easter Lily.

MWWSI 2017

trueblue1234

I know, and I don't disagree with you. But I don't agree with the fact that the Head of the FAI shouldn't have or shouldn't express a republican view point because of that position when it's not reflecting the viewpoint of that organization.