John Delaney singing Joe McDonnell

Started by theticklemister, November 25, 2014, 12:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

muppet

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 27, 2014, 03:04:48 PM
I know, and I don't disagree with you. But I don't agree with the fact that the Head of the FAI shouldn't have or shouldn't express a republican view point because of that position when it's not reflecting the viewpoint of that organization.

Expressing a Republican viewpoint is one thing, mangling a song in a pub like he did is just embarrassing.
MWWSI 2017

trueblue1234

I agree. But I've never argued it wasn't. My only response was to Gallsman who used the story to have a poke at posters on here from a republican viewpoint. (Which is standard enough for the same poster) 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

gallsman

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 27, 2014, 03:13:00 PM
I agree. But I've never argued it wasn't. My only response was to Gallsman who used the story to have a poke at posters on here from a republican viewpoint. (Which is standard enough for the same poster)

Yes that's right, I'm an Uncle Tom. No, I had a poke at posters who are hypocritical in refusing to consider any viewpoint other than their own yet who'll happily criticise themmuns when they do the exact same.

trueblue1234

No you didn't. You trying to force an angle that wasn't there to have a pop at posters. Simple as that.

gallsman

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 27, 2014, 03:24:09 PM
No you didn't. You trying to force an angle that wasn't there to have a pop at posters. Simple as that.

The angle is clearly there.

Can't help but notice you've chosen to ignore questions about whether or not it would be acceptable or not for Delaney's Norn Iron or English equivalents to sing loyalist sings.

trueblue1234

And I can't help to notice you've ignored my question as well. 
There is no angle other than in your head.

brokencrossbar1

Whats the issue,  a man sings a song about another man who died in a different country who was a freedom fighter/activist for the country that he died in,  no different then Christy singing about the Biko Drum`

deiseach

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 27, 2014, 02:30:09 PM
Would there be an issue with the Head of the FA in England singing about the British Army or laying a poppy day wreath? Not a bit, would be a none story. And he would come under no pressure to apologise for doing so. And rightly so.

I'm trying to think of a song about 'the British Army', but if the head of the FA sang a song about whatever the equivalent would be from the republican songbook, there would be uproar in England. You'd also have the Daily Mail expressing disbelief at what all the fuss was about.

muppet

I think I recall us being delighted in 1993 when Billy Bingham conducted the Windsor Park crowd as they regaled us with Billy Boys and The Sash.
MWWSI 2017

trueblue1234

Quote from: deiseach on November 27, 2014, 03:55:51 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 27, 2014, 02:30:09 PM
Would there be an issue with the Head of the FA in England singing about the British Army or laying a poppy day wreath? Not a bit, would be a none story. And he would come under no pressure to apologise for doing so. And rightly so.

I'm trying to think of a song about 'the British Army', but if the head of the FA sang a song about whatever the equivalent would be from the republican songbook, there would be uproar in England. You'd also have the Daily Mail expressing disbelief at what all the fuss was about.

I know it's hard to get a comparison. But say for example he/ she gave a rendition of the X factor song "Help for the Heros". I don't believe there would be any uproar.

deiseach

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 27, 2014, 04:01:23 PM
I know it's hard to get a comparison. But say for example he/ she gave a rendition of the X factor song "Help for the Heros". I don't believe there would be any uproar.

I don't know who should be more offended by that comparison!

trueblue1234

Applesisapples

Wouldn't it be great if they could sing the Billy Boys and The Sash and we could sing our chucky songs and everybody enjoyed the craic and the rivalry? But meanwhile:
I remember the hunger strikes and the emotion very well, I was in my twenties and Joe McDonald for me evokes that time and as a ballad I personally like it.
Whilst Delaney singing it has brought me the joy of pissing off Boycie and the OWCers, I don't think it is appropriate that he as CEO of the FAI should do so, any more than Bingham should have conducted the sing along.
If he is shite at his job and I personally don't know the answer to that, then that is a different issue. His employers need to consider both issue separately in the first instance.

Main Street

Quote from: muppet on November 27, 2014, 03:59:20 PM
I think I recall us being delighted in 1993 when Billy Bingham conducted the Windsor Park crowd as they regaled us with Billy Boys and The Sash.
I think Billy's alleged role in conducting the rabid choir in their many renditions of the Sash and Billy Boys, during that tense game was and still is exaggerated.

And so also is exaggerated  are many of the indignant responses to the signing of a song about a republican activist who died on hunger strike for political status. Had Joe lived he would have gained political status and would possibly have supported the GFA  and a real possibility that he would be an elected representative today, a similar life story to many other republican political figures today,  who have participated in the last 50 years as part of the republican movement as campaigners, militarists, prison campaigns and whose movement signed a no fault peace treaty and were elected by the people to share administrative power. That in anyones language, in the history of world nationhood, legitimises the struggle, it doesn't mean you have to agree with it, but respect the legitimacy.