Championship draw 2015

Started by GalwayBayBoy, October 09, 2014, 04:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

AZ.

Super sexy Dubs wouldn't dream of traveling down to the bog by road. No siree Bob. Twill be a jet for them boys. AIG will finance temp runway on The Bog of Allen and helicopters will then land them across the road from O'Connor Park.

AZOffaly

They could use Birr Airfield I suppose, although apparently it's very hard to get to Tullamore from Birr. Thousands of Offaly hurling supporters have an awful problem doing it. Maybe the dubs would end up in Portumna. That'd nearly be worse than Mullingar.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteStructural issues?

Fraid so - looks like shoddy foundations and ergo urgent remedial work which may involve a feckin bulldozer to rip the structure down.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 13, 2014, 04:15:00 PM
QuoteStructural issues?

Fraid so - looks like shoddy foundations and ergo urgent remedial work which may involve a feckin bulldozer to rip the structure down.

Sure if it's that bad you won't need a bulldozer. A few belts of a hurl would do the trick.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 13, 2014, 04:17:17 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 13, 2014, 04:15:00 PM
QuoteStructural issues?

Sure if it's that bad you won't need a bulldozer. A few belts of a hurl would do the trick.

Who in their right mind would lend Longford a hurl? Some of their towns are rough enough as it is...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 13, 2014, 04:12:06 PM
AZ.

Super sexy Dubs wouldn't dream of traveling down to the bog by road. No siree Bob. Twill be a jet for them boys. AIG will finance temp runway on The Bog of Allen and helicopters will then land them across the road from O'Connor Park.

Maybe Donegal can give us a loan of their helicopter?

muppet

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 13, 2014, 08:21:56 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on October 10, 2014, 12:26:05 AM
What is so hard about Ulster ?

I've never understood this fixation with the "competitiveness" of the Ulster championship.

Leinster and Munster sides have always been more successful when it comes to the crunch. Surely the obvious conclusion from that is that  Ulster sides compete "equally" at their own level and are found wanting at the higher level ?

Cork would have more provincial titles than Cavan if they were in Ulster. This is an indisputable fact.

Hi Mike, how are you?

I wonder if you'd mind explaining your post above to me.

What I'm struggling with is how an historic hypothetical could be regarded as an indisputable fact.

The one thing I'd have thought your statement isn't is a fact.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Welcome Esmarelda.

The line 'indisputable fact' on this board can sometimes, in the right hands, actually mean an indisputable fact. But more often it is hyperbole, poorly played and really means what precedes it is 'insufferable arse'.
MWWSI 2017

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: muppet on October 13, 2014, 07:05:55 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on October 13, 2014, 08:21:56 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on October 10, 2014, 12:26:05 AM
What is so hard about Ulster ?

I've never understood this fixation with the "competitiveness" of the Ulster championship.

Leinster and Munster sides have always been more successful when it comes to the crunch. Surely the obvious conclusion from that is that  Ulster sides compete "equally" at their own level and are found wanting at the higher level ?

Cork would have more provincial titles than Cavan if they were in Ulster. This is an indisputable fact.

Hi Mike, how are you?

I wonder if you'd mind explaining your post above to me.

What I'm struggling with is how an historic hypothetical could be regarded as an indisputable fact.

The one thing I'd have thought your statement isn't is a fact.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Welcome Esmarelda.

The line 'indisputable fact' on this board can sometimes, in the right hands, actually mean an indisputable fact. But more often it is hyperbole, poorly played and really means what precedes it is 'insufferable arse'.

Hi Esmerelda,

Sometimes "indisputable facts" are put forward, in a mischievous way, to counter other "indisputable facts" that have been baldly stated over the years. Unfortunately some posters are too thick or po-faced to pick up on this and mistake it for actual hyperbole. Typically though, these posters merely have an axe to grind for past slap downs.

Strange things like this happen on gaaboard all the time. You will even find that other posters will create new accounts just to have a pop or to wum...its mad stuff altogether !

Esmarelda

Thanks for replying Mike, although I'm not sure reply is the correct word as you didn't address what I asked.

Not to worry though, as, while we're on the topic of common themes on the GAA board, I find that not addressing direct questions and seeking to be "right" rather than "enlightened" are the two I find most common.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 17, 2014, 12:41:02 PM
Thanks for replying Mike, although I'm not sure reply is the correct word as you didn't address what I asked.

Not to worry though, as, while we're on the topic of common themes on the GAA board, I find that not addressing direct questions and seeking to be "right" rather than "enlightened" are the two I find most common.

You are welcome Esmarelda.

I must say I am impressed with the way you have just jumped right in to the fray on Gaaboard. Most new posters would be a little less combative. Also, for someone who has just joined the board you are remarkably quick to pick up on Gaaboard "themes"

Coincidentally there have been a few posters like that recently  ;)

Esmarelda

Long time reader Mike, but well spotted nonetheless.

I feel you're paranoid but maybe with good reason.

I don't think I was being combative. I just queried your post. I thought I was very careful not to be too aggressive. Read my post again and I hope you agree.

I think it's pretty silly for people behind a keyboard to engage aggressively with one another.

Anyway, this thread has strayed off topic which I feel I'm partly to blame for.

Mike Sheehy

ok, against my better judgement I will assume you are not wumming  ;)

welcome to the board

Esmarelda

Phew.

I feel like I passed the entrance exam. :)

macdanger2

With the league out of the way, the real stuff starts (or at least the stuff before the really real stuff starts on the August bank holiday) in a few weeks. For the provinicials, the following would be my predictions:
Connacht

Preliminary Round
New York v Galway

Quarter-final
London v Roscommon
New York / Galway v Leitrim

Semi-finals
London / Roscommon v Sligo
New York / Galway / Leitrim v Mayo

Winners: Mayo (possibly more heart than head here)

Munster

Quarter-finals
Waterford v Tipperary
Clare v Limerick

Semi-finals
Clare / Limerick v Cork
Kerry v Waterford v Tipperary

Winners: Kerry

Ulster

Prelim
Donegal v Tyrone

Quarter
Armagh v Donegal/Tyrone,
Cavan v Monaghan,
Fermanagh v Antrim,
Derry v Down

Semi
Derry/Down v Armagh/Donegal/Tyrone
Cavan/Monaghan v Fermanagh/Antrim

Winners: Monaghan

Leinster

1st Round
Offaly v Longford
Laois v Carlow
Louth v Westmeath

Quarters
Offaly/Longford v Dublin
Laois/Carlow v Kildare
Louth/Westmeath v Wexford
Wicklow v Meath

Semi
Offaly/Longford/Dublin v Laois/Carlow/Kildare
Louth/Westmeath/Wexford v Wicklow/Meath

Winners: Dublin

bambi

Lads / Lassies, hopefully this post makes it up here, there is a great event to get a good discussion going on the 2015 Ulster championship and the All-Ireland as a whole and is being held in the Kilmore in Cavan on Friday week (8 May 2015).

The Ballybay Senior team are hosting an All Ireland preview night and have secured a very interesting panel - Declan O'Sullivan (Kerry), Michael Meehan (Galway), Anthony Moyles (Meath) and Kevin Cassidy (Donegal). Declan Bogue (Author and journalist) will MC the event and should ensure an interesting debate between the panel.

Four course meal, wine and other entertainment on the night also, all for €50!! Promises to be brilliant!

Tickets can be bought online at this http://ballybaypearsebrothers.bigcartel.com/product/all-ireland-launch-night