Championship draw 2015

Started by GalwayBayBoy, October 09, 2014, 04:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on October 11, 2014, 12:39:43 PM
Barring any shock results in the earlier games, the Connacht semi finals will be Galway v Mayo in Salthill and Sligo v Roscommon in Markievicz Park..... Am i correct in saying that if Galway beat Mayo, they will have home advantage in the Connacht Final, regardless of whether it's Sligo or Roscommon who they meet?

Sligo and Galway Connacht finals will be played at McHale per the old neutral venue rules for Connacht finals featuring counties unable to host Connacht finals. Technically we might be able to push for a neutral Connacht final too given the current situation with the Hyde but if we were playing Mayo I'd be surprised if we had the brass balls to drag everyone down to Salthill, especially given our last match was a home one for us.

Armamike

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on October 11, 2014, 11:56:05 AM
How embarrassing for Armamike. His complete ignorance of GAA history is exposed to the board and , to cap it all off, Kerry have as many hurling AI as Armagh have football !!

Jeez is it really 37?  I would never have thought that. You live and learn.
That's just, like your opinion man.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on October 11, 2014, 12:58:12 PM
Barring any shock results in the earlier games, the Connacht semi finals will be Galway v Mayo in Salthill and Sligo v Roscommon in Markievicz Park..... Am i correct in saying that if Galway beat Mayo, they will have home advantage in the Connacht Final, regardless of whether it's Sligo or Roscommon who they meet?

Sligo and Galway Connacht finals will be played at McHale per the old neutral venue rules for Connacht finals featuring counties unable to host Connacht finals. Technically we might be able to push for a neutral Connacht final too given the current situation with the Hyde but if we were playing Mayo I'd be surprised if we had the brass balls to drag everyone down to Salthill, especially given our last match was a home one for us.

Next Ros-Mayo game will be in Cstlebar.
After that if ye have no pitch of yer own then ye ll have a case for Salthill in future.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on October 11, 2014, 10:31:12 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 11, 2014, 12:58:12 PM

Next Ros-Mayo game will be in Cstlebar.
After that if ye have no pitch of yer own then ye ll have a case for Salthill in future.

That's based on the home-away arrangements Ros-Mayo-Galway had that applied to Connacht finals but we have a case to push for a neutral Connacht final as we can't host them right now, just as Sligo and Leitrim are always entitled to a neutral venue when they reach the final. Big John created a massive loop-hole that we could be set up to take advantage of.

If it ends up being Ros-Mayo it will probably be McHale but we would be very tempted by the prospect of rooting Galway out of Salthill for the final if it's Ros-Galway.

moysider

The day Mayo and Ros people have to go to Salthill to play a match would be a sad development.

Limerick would be easier in my experience  ;D

ONeill

Quote from: balladmaker on October 11, 2014, 12:51:06 PM
Logie says it best ...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FNLfuKD82kc

Agree with most (not all) of this but it'll never happen for 2 reasons.

1 - The historic/romance reason
2 - The financial reason

Both bullshit.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Syferus

Quote from: ONeill on October 11, 2014, 11:49:19 PM
Logie says it best ...

2 - The financial reason

Both bullshit.

Neither are bullshit. It's far more romantic to think a sport can support itself without solid finances.

Yer man is also so deeply on the Ulster love-in he called Donegal the All-Ireland champions..

Jinxy

You'd miss the hamsters all the same.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ONeill

Quote from: Syferus on October 12, 2014, 12:01:42 AM
Quote from: ONeill on October 11, 2014, 11:49:19 PM
Logie says it best ...

2 - The financial reason

Both bullshit.

Neither are bullshit. It's far more romantic to think a sport can support itself without solid finances.

What?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Maguire01

Nice draw for Monaghan, but a few potential banana skins there. Would be great to get a win in Breffni but would also be the worst place to lose.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on October 10, 2014, 12:26:05 AM
What is so hard about Ulster ?

I've never understood this fixation with the "competitiveness" of the Ulster championship.

Leinster and Munster sides have always been more successful when it comes to the crunch. Surely the obvious conclusion from that is that  Ulster sides compete "equally" at their own level and are found wanting at the higher level ?

Cork would have more provincial titles than Cavan if they were in Ulster. This is an indisputable fact.

Hi Mike, how are you?

I wonder if you'd mind explaining your post above to me.

What I'm struggling with is how an historic hypothetical could be regarded as an indisputable fact.

The one thing I'd have thought your statement isn't is a fact.

Thanks in advance for your time.

orangeman

Eugene Mc Gee's take on Gaa politics as it pertains to the provincial championships :

Power-brokers won't allow any changes to Championship

Apart from Ulster there was little excitement to be garnered from the provincial championship draws last week. Kerry will play Cork in the Munster final and beat them, while Dublin will skate through Leinster.

In Connacht there should be a Mayo-Roscommon final, so only in Ulster is there uncertainty. The standard in Ulster is not as high as in the glory days of the Tyrone-Armagh times a decade ago, with the exception of Donegal.

It seems everybody in the GAA wants changes in the format of the All-Ireland Championship - they want it but they do not want to do anything practical about it. A typical GAA scenario.

The GAA is not run by the plain people of Ireland - instead the really big decisions are made by the members of the four provincial councils - about 75 people - and the Central Council, with about 45 members.

So the hundreds of thousands of dedicated GAA people, and bodies like the GPA, who come up with all sorts of wonderful ideas for changing the present lopsided four provinces scenario, are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think the provincial championship system will be changed in the foreseeable future.

When the FRC made a very modest proposal to adjust the provinces slightly into four groups of eight, several of those power-brokers were immediately out to denigrate it. That's the real world of GAA politics.

Shamrock Shore

Word on the street is that if Offaly bate Longford in May 2015 then the Dubs will have to travel to Tullamore for Leinster QF.

However Lein Council wont fix the match for Longford if we prevail. Not only is Pearse Park smaller than Tullamore there is also the problem of the main stand looking like it was build by a shower of cowboys and so may have to be ripped down and rebuilt sooner rather than later.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 13, 2014, 09:40:17 AM
Word on the street is that if Offaly bate Longford in May 2015 then the Dubs will have to travel to Tullamore for Leinster QF.

However Lein Council wont fix the match for Longford if we prevail. Not only is Pearse Park smaller than Tullamore there is also the problem of the main stand looking like it was build by a shower of cowboys and so may have to be ripped down and rebuilt sooner rather than later.

Structural issues?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 13, 2014, 09:40:17 AM

There you go. It's your duty to allow us beat ye so we can give the Dubs a little road trip. We're going to switch the exit signs and send them off the motorway at Rochfortbridge, and send them to Mullingar. They'll never get out of there, and we'll get a walkover. Glory days on the way back.