Another classic goal from Diarmuid Connolly, Footballer of the Year

Started by The Hill is Blue, October 06, 2014, 01:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

twohands!!!

Quote from: Syferus on October 18, 2014, 11:33:07 PMI'd still take Flynn over Connolly, consistent and reliable high-level output over such a long period is worth more to me than a mercurial talent. Connolly does have a good case for PotY, though.

Yeah - Flynn has been so routinely excellent for so long now I don't know how you couldn't pick him ahead of Connolly.

Also I still have memories of the Dublin subs bench collapsing about the place laughing in front of me at Connolly's attempts to kick a 45 in a league game against Kerry a few years back, which I think may have permanently affected my judgement on Connolly.

The thing is that JOD is a certainty to win POTY the way that award works in terms of players on  All-Ireland winning teams winning POTY but it's interesting to ponder what the state of play would have been like if Donegal had won the final. You'd have to think JOD would still be one of the nominations as would McGee. You'd probably think that Murphy would have been a decent shout in terms of replacing Connolly if Donegal had won (this obviously assumes Murphy had put in a match-winning display in the All-Ireland)

Wildweasel74

moysider

Quote from: orangeman on October 19, 2014, 10:31:05 PM
Diarmuid isn't even in the top 3 according to this man who knows a thing or two :

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/1710141506-oisin-mcconvilles-top-3-footballers-of-the-year/

Agree. Especially if it has to be a forward. Thought Neil McGee and Higgins were the 2 best overall.

Dont Matter

Connolly doesn't even deserve an all star. McHugh, Murphy and MacNiallais or Walsh should be on the half forward line.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

yellowcard

Quote from: Dont Matter on October 19, 2014, 11:30:36 PM
Connolly doesn't even deserve an all star. McHugh, Murphy and MacNiallais or Walsh should be on the half forward line.

Seriously? McHugh barely touched the ball in the AI final, MacNiallis played midfield and done well but doesn't deserve an All Star and Walsh has no chance of getting an All Star.

Zulu

Connolly is the best footballer in Ireland bar none IMO. That doesn't mean he is the best in every aspect of the game but he has everything you'd want in a footballer, if you were to clone one footballer it would have to be Connolly IMO. Even when Gilroy was subbing him I thought he was outstanding and could never understand what Gilroy was doing. For me, Connolly is one of those players who never gets enough credit for the good things he does while he gets overly criticised when has a poor game or makes a poor mistake. Nobody else in Ireland, not the Gooch, not Flynn, not Murphy, or Cillian O'Connor would have got two of the points he scored against Donegal. He also took the fight to Donegal in the second half when many of his teammates were floundering. A joy to watch.

Jinxy

If a naturally talented player has a very relaxed style, sometimes supporters get the idea he's not working hard.
I used to get it all the time.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

rrhf

orangeman

Colm O'Rourke is in no doubt -

In another county final, Diarmuid Connolly played a huge part in St Vincent's win in Dublin, and his year was in marked contrast to Donaghy's. Connolly has had no rest; after Dublin won the All-Ireland in 2013 he set about helping St Vincent's to the county title and the voyage continued to an All-Ireland club final in March. At all times he was imperious, and he is now showing much more maturity and leadership.

Last Monday night in the Dublin final (great venue, great crowd) he was marked by at least two players all the time - and sometimes more - and while his scoring contribution was minimal, his vision and range of passing was still exceptional. By the time the All-Ireland semi-final comes round, if Vincent's are still in it, Connolly will have been on the go for two years, and all the time producing performances of a consistently high standard. In a complete meltdown by Dublin against Donegal, he was their best player.

So for me, Connolly is the player of the year. O'Donoghue is a very credible choice and had outstanding performances against Cork in the Munster final and in the two games against Mayo. Even in the All-Ireland final he worked hard and never stopped showing for the ball, he kept playing for the team and did not worry about personal glory. All the time, too, with a smile on his face, really enjoying the whole experience.

Yet for me the primus inter pares, or first among equals as the Roman senators might say, is Diarmuid Connolly.

Sunday Indo Sport

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: orangeman on November 02, 2014, 10:13:03 AM
Colm O'Rourke is in no doubt -

In another county final, Diarmuid Connolly played a huge part in St Vincent's win in Dublin, and his year was in marked contrast to Donaghy's. Connolly has had no rest; after Dublin won the All-Ireland in 2013 he set about helping St Vincent's to the county title and the voyage continued to an All-Ireland club final in March. At all times he was imperious, and he is now showing much more maturity and leadership.

Last Monday night in the Dublin final (great venue, great crowd) he was marked by at least two players all the time - and sometimes more - and while his scoring contribution was minimal, his vision and range of passing was still exceptional. By the time the All-Ireland semi-final comes round, if Vincent's are still in it, Connolly will have been on the go for two years, and all the time producing performances of a consistently high standard. In a complete meltdown by Dublin against Donegal, he was their best player.

So for me, Connolly is the player of the year. O'Donoghue is a very credible choice and had outstanding performances against Cork in the Munster final and in the two games against Mayo. Even in the All-Ireland final he worked hard and never stopped showing for the ball, he kept playing for the team and did not worry about personal glory. All the time, too, with a smile on his face, really enjoying the whole experience.

Yet for me the primus inter pares, or first among equals as the Roman senators might say, is Diarmuid Connolly.

Sunday Indo Sport
The GPA won't like that

Syferus

rrhf

Quote from: yellowcard on October 20, 2014, 11:04:50 AM
Quote from: Dont Matter on October 19, 2014, 11:30:36 PM

Seriously? McHugh barely touched the ball in the AI final, MacNiallis played midfield and done well but doesn't deserve an All Star and Walsh has no chance of getting an All Star.
Connolly didnt touch the ball in that game either. 

muppet

Quote from: moysider on October 19, 2014, 11:09:54 PM
Quote from: orangeman on October 19, 2014, 10:31:05 PM
Diarmuid isn't even in the top 3 according to this man who knows a thing or two :

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/1710141506-oisin-mcconvilles-top-3-footballers-of-the-year/

Agree. Especially if it has to be a forward. Thought Neil McGee and Higgins were the 2 best overall.

Generally agree. Regarding O'Donohue being a great 'find', he is certainly a terrific and exciting footballer, but I think he is about 2 years older than O'Connor and only 10 months younger than Murphy. He would have a lot to do very quickly to get to where Gooch is imho.
MWWSI 2017