Best debut season?

Started by blanketattack, October 01, 2014, 07:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

I was wondering who if anyone has had a better debut season than Paul Murphy?
Scored a goal on his championship debut from corner back, played every minute of every championship game, scored a crucial equalising point in the All-Ireland final that was a good bit closer to the sideline than Dooher's much acclaimed point in 2008, played very well in every game, won Man Of The Match in the All-Ireland final, won an All-Ireland medal, is a definite for an All-Star and had a shooting accuracy for the year that forwards could only dream of (https://mobile.twitter.com/sidelineye/status/515521428717068289/photo/1).

Ronan Clarke in 02 would be close but didn't get the motm in an AI final or an All-Star but did get young player of the year.

BennyCake

Aaron Kernan in 2005 had a great debut season. Young player of the year too.

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: blanketattack on October 01, 2014, 07:31:38 PM
Scored a goal on his championship debut from corner back, played every minute of every championship game, scored a crucial equalising point in the All-Ireland final that was a good bit closer to the sideline than Dooher's much acclaimed point in 2008, played very well in every game, won Man Of The Match in the All-Ireland final, won an All-Ireland medal, is a definite for an All-Star and had a shooting accuracy for the year that forwards could only dream of (https://mobile.twitter.com/sidelineye/status/515521428717068289/photo/1).

Ronan Clarke in 02 would be close but didn't get the motm in an AI final or an All-Star but did get young player of the year.

Murphy had some season, but in the comparison you have given i think Ronan Clarke has to be ahead. Coming from Kerry and helping them win their 37th All-Ireland carries less weight than coming through an ulster Championship Tyronex2, Cavan and Donegal and then Sligox2 Dublin and then Kerry in the final to win their 1st ever All-Ireland. Although not MOTM in the final he scored 3 top drawer points and gave 'the great Moynihan' a light head. That summer the southern media went a bit overboard with the 'new messiah' Ray Cosgrove and if Clarke have had that breakthrough for an establish southern superpower he would have had a lot more attention.

BennyCake

We beat Fermanagh in 2002, not Cavan.

And yes, I'd have Clarke ahead.

The Hill is Blue

Jason Sherlock 1995 - none better
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Wildweasel74

Probably has to be the Bomber Liston in 78, Kerry struggled to beat Dublin the previous 2 years and the big man entered the fray that year and give Kerry the aerial threat they previously missed,and he run riot that year. and collected 7 big ones over the next 9yrs

5 Sams

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on October 01, 2014, 08:04:40 PM

Murphy had some season, but in the comparison you have given i think Ronan Clarke has to be ahead. Coming from Kerry and helping them win their 37th All-Ireland carries less weight than coming through an ulster Championship Tyronex2, Cavan and Donegal and then Sligox2 Dublin and then Kerry in the final to win their 1st ever All-Ireland. Although not MOTM in the final he scored 3 top drawer points and gave 'the great Moynihan' a light head. That summer the southern media went a bit overboard with the 'new messiah' Ray Cosgrove and if Clarke have had that breakthrough for an establish southern superpower he would have had a lot more attention.

Just wondering why you have put the words the great Moynihan in inverted commas?
The Aristocrat Years

BennyCake

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 02, 2014, 12:23:34 AM
Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on October 01, 2014, 08:04:40 PM

Just wondering why you have put the words the great Moynihan in inverted commas?

He must be a magician these days.

Jinxy

Darren Fay.
All Star in his debut season in 1996 at the age of 19.
Didn't concede a single score from play from his direct opponent in any game.
Was attacked by several Mayo players in the replay and didn't let it faze him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Bod Mor

Quote from: Jinxy on October 02, 2014, 09:54:14 AM
Was attacked by several Mayo players in the replay and didn't let it faze him.
Jinxy, you are an absolute pleasure to come on this board and read your comments. Legend.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

rosnarun

Coming from Kerry and helping them win their 37th All-Ireland carries less weight than coming through an ulster Championship
[/quote]

We have suspected this attitude for a long time
good to see it confirmed
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

haranguerer

Every time I hear Ronan Clarke mentioned I shake my head thinking about what we were deprived of as spectators.

He was absolutely top drawer, its a tragedy he was so plagued with injury.

Keane

This is an enjoyable thread.

blanketattack

Kevin Moran, 1976 was another good debut season.

nrico2006

Tony Kellys first full season is as good as it gets.  Player Of The Year, Young Player of the Year, All Star and All Ireland winner.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'