Best debut season?

Started by blanketattack, October 01, 2014, 07:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Quote from: Mourne Rover on October 02, 2014, 05:37:36 PM
Martin Clarke certainly had an excellent first season in 2010, as Brick Tamlin says, but the best Down newcomer in the modern era was probably Gregory McCartan in 1994.

He played a couple of league games in the half backs that year and was then thrown in away to the All Ireland holders Derry for his championship debut at midfield against what was reckoned to be the top pairing in the country of Tohill and Magilligan.

McCartan also took on the main responsibility for free taking and had an outstanding match as Down won at Celtic Park. He kept up the same standard for the rest of the season and ended up with an All Ireland and an All Star in arguably the most demanding position of all.

He was later unlucky with injuries, and had a spell in the US, but he remained an automatic choice for Down whenever he was available over the next decade.

He resides in Liverpool now I believe. Tried to get him down to take our lads to no avail

Keane

Quote from: Mourne Rover on October 02, 2014, 10:18:21 PM
Keane, Gregory McCartan's war dance was at the final whistle in Celtic Park. The celebrations after the goal were much more restrained as Down still had to hold out for ten minutes against the AI champions on their own ground.

The only one I've seen is on YouTube of him doing a Ministry of Silly Walks type run back to midfield celebrating a goal, it's absolutely f**king class! I must check if there's a video of him after the whistle goes.

Keane

Here's the goal celebration anyway (presume it's the same game) - love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6IZysuPkLs

5 Sams

Keane, Gregory McCartan's war dance was at the final whistle in Celtic Park. The celebrations after the goal were much more restrained as Down still had to hold out for ten minutes against the AI champions on their own ground.

Go to 9:14 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxU9aCiLW3o
The Aristocrat Years

Keane

That's class. I love that guy!

muppet

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 03, 2014, 11:50:39 AM

Go to 9:14 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxU9aCiLW3o

Does Logie (?) say just after the above: 'Celtic Park is a happy humping ground'?
MWWSI 2017

Mourne Rover

The commentator is Jimmy Smyth. It is a little difficult to make out what he says but the pictures speak for themselves. Few players enjoyed their celebrations more than big Gregory, and he was unlucky that his prime years coincided with a wider period of decline for Down.  He would probably have finished up with another Ulster medal in 2003 if he had not been sent off in the first half of the final through an outrageous piece of acting by Brian McGuigan. However, as a two-footed midfielder who could score from play and frees, he had few equals in his day.

Aristo 60

Quote from: Mourne Rover on October 03, 2014, 01:24:33 PM
The commentator is Jimmy Smyth. It is a little difficult to make out what he says but the pictures speak for themselves. Few players enjoyed their celebrations more than big Gregory, and he was unlucky that his prime years coincided with a wider period of decline for Down.  He would probably have finished up with another Ulster medal in 2003 if he had not been sent off in the first half of the final through an outrageous accomplished piece of acting by Brian McGuigan. However, as a two-footed midfielder who could score from play and frees, he had few equals in his day.

johnneycool

Quote from: Mourne Rover on October 03, 2014, 01:24:33 PM
The commentator is Jimmy Smyth. It is a little difficult to make out what he says but the pictures speak for themselves. Few players enjoyed their celebrations more than big Gregory, and he was unlucky that his prime years coincided with a wider period of decline for Down.  He would probably have finished up with another Ulster medal in 2003 if he had not been sent off in the first half of the final through an outrageous piece of acting by Brian McGuigan. However, as a two-footed midfielder who could score from play and frees, he had few equals in his day.

Not only was he two footed, he could throw a ball like a cannonball, Brian McGuigan was lucky he wasn't killed by that ball..

Big Ger McGrattan won Downs only hurling allstar in his debut year, he was only 20 at the time.

Tony Kelly in all fairness probably bettered him in 2013, only just though  8)

PAULD123

Martin Clarke had a outstanding debut season mostly because he led the team. It's not that he only played well, he was the defacto captain and focus of the entire play both defensively and attacking.

But another Down man with a terrific debut season was Peter Rooney. Started the 1968 championship as a minor and finished as an All-Ireland Senior winner. That's a pretty impressive. I also think (but not sure) that he actually played minor and senior championship on the same day.

Ethan Tremblay

I remember the buzz around Clarke returning home from the afl and was well justified in my opinion, was a play-maker through and through, was consistently good in 2010 and his aura lifted the team itself.     

I feel he will make a huge impact for Down this year if he opts in, also expect Caolan Mooney to break into the panel and show his worth,
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Aristo 60

Going on the bbc report today Clarke has had some ill health of late. I hope he recovers fully with no lasting impact on his health and fitness.

No1

QuoteNot only was he two footed, he could throw a ball like a cannonball, Brian McGuigan was lucky he wasn't killed by that ball..

Big Ger McGrattan won Downs only hurling allstar in his debut year, he was only 20 at the time.

Tony Kelly in all fairness probably bettered him in 2013, only just though  8)

I bet Tony couldn't carry off the white socks with tux look though!  ;D

You Ards boys were always fashion leaders.  ;)

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: ONeill on October 03, 2014, 01:02:36 AM
Bouncing off two tackles on the sideline on the run may have something to do with it.

Not receiving a pass and slicing it.

Yup, and if he was wearing a green and gold jersey he'd have been dragged to the ground on the first tackle.

I suppose its easier to win when one team is naively trying to play fair.

JP

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on October 03, 2014, 09:02:41 PM
Quote from: ONeill on October 03, 2014, 01:02:36 AM
Bouncing off two tackles on the sideline on the run may have something to do with it.

Not receiving a pass and slicing it.

Yup, and if he was wearing a green and gold jersey he'd have been dragged to the ground on the first tackle.

I suppose its easier to win when one team is naively trying to play fair.

lol Did you see Kerry this year in the All Ireland. Kerry are as cynical as any other team, If you took the blinkers off maybe you would see this.