Paisley gone to his eternal reward

Started by passedit, September 12, 2014, 12:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

A giant of a figure in our youth - and a dangerous one for the impressionable. And another reason why organised religion needs to be smashed to pieces.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: BennyCake on September 12, 2014, 06:01:55 PM
Never never never... 'How much' ...Oh, alright then.

I think that should be his epitaph.

Agent Orange

The high priest of hatred, may he burn in hell.

dec

Quote from: ONeill on September 12, 2014, 06:02:52 PM
A giant of a figure in our youth - and a dangerous one for the impressionable. And another reason why organised religion needs to be smashed to pieces.

We could use a big sledge hammer to do the smashing

Wildweasel74

Haven't looked at the 5 previous pages here yet, but normally i was brought up not to speak ill of the dead, in this case i make a exception. At the end of the road he turned a corner and did change but not accepting responsibility for all his shit stirring and violence which lead from the rhetoric he came out with will always blackened him.

Calling catholics breeding like vermin and many other anti pope and catholic language meant he was never acceptable to any catholic worth his salt. A bigot (even though he couldn't see it) and maybe one of the biggest causes of trouble in the north through all the dimwits who followed him.

Personally i always hold him responsible for the death of the 3 Quinn boys in Ballymoney after his shit stirring their be blood on the streets speech round drumcree time,

Think i open my 12yr old bottle of bushmills the nite, always keep it for special occasions!!This qualifies

BennyCake

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 12, 2014, 06:39:38 PM
Haven't looked at the 5 previous pages here yet, but normally i was brought up not to speak will of the dead, in this case i make a exception. At the end of the road he turned a corner and did change but not accepting responsibility for all his shit stirring and violence which lead from the rhetoric he came out with will always blackened him.

Calling catholics breeding like vermin and many other anti pope and catholic language meant he was never acceptable to any catholic worth his salt. A bigot (even though he couldn't see it) and maybe one of the biggest causes of trouble in the north through all the dimwits who followed him.

Personally i always hold him responsible for the death of the 3 Quinn boys in Ballymoney after his shit stirring their be blood on the streets speech round drumcree time,

Think i open my 12yr old bottle of bushmills the nite, always keep it for special occasions!!This qualifies

THE biggest.

Wildweasel74

who believe it a thread which brings Armagh, Tyrone and Derry together, all happy campers!!

PAULD123

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 12, 2014, 07:05:49 PM
who believe it a thread which brings Armagh, Tyrone and Derry together, all happy campers!!

There are plenty of Down men willing to see eye-to-eye with their Armagh neighbours on this one

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 12, 2014, 06:39:38 PM
Haven't looked at the 5 previous pages here yet, but normally i was brought up not to speak ill of the dead, in this case i make a exception. At the end of the road he turned a corner and did change but not accepting responsibility for all his shit stirring and violence which lead from the rhetoric he came out with will always blackened him.

My Parents would have always instilled that in us but I agree today is an exception.

stew

Quote from: theskull1 on September 12, 2014, 02:18:19 PM
Tony Blair, GW Bush, Paisley, Sean Brady will all get to heaven. All devout men so why wouldn't they? Certainly that would be the opinion of people who think they are great fellas. I shouldn't matter to God what negative impact they had on the world should it?

f**k off skull you maggot! Paisley died you twat, how about you make a meaningful contribution about his legacy or give  meaningful insight with your opinion! Nah, for you that would be too much!

For me I will always remember him as a hateful, opportunist showman who stirred the ignorant sheep he led into commiting many crimes against the nationalist community. I will shed no tears nor will i have anything to do with slamming him on social media, i will simply give the aul hoor no more thought!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

JP

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 12, 2014, 07:05:49 PM

At least in death he was an unifying force......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6A-ucLv44Y

playwiththewind1st

All I can say is that I'm old enough to remember the feeling of sheer panic & fear abroad  in 1974, during the UWC strike. The man was a complete sc**bag & all your revisionist history & "Chuckle Brothers" nonsense can't disguise an entire career built, almost till the end, on anti-Catholic [never mind anti-republican] bigotry. So - he made "peace" right at the end of his life, yes, it was all smiles for a year or 2 & still Robinson / McGuinness can't sit down & run a government like mature adults? Therefore, his short term in the sun, as First Minister, left no legacy to be built upon. I work in Ballymena & it was noticeable tonight that they couldn't get any of the Council's DUP bigwigs out to say much about him......clearly they're all Robinson punters now.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: AQMP on September 12, 2014, 01:39:18 PM
Funeral will be private.

No wonder - fell out with the Free Presbyterian Church & DUP. Nobody was going to be invited from those bodies.

seafoid

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/12/the-rev-ian-paisley

It took another two and a half years of personal reflection, internal party debate and continued persuasion by governments in London and Dublin before Paisley was ready to commit himself to the type of pact he had spent most of his life opposing. In the closing phase of the process, Paisley, characteristically, did not chart a predictable course. At a 12 July parade of the Independent Orange Order in 2006 he told followers: "[Sinn Féin] are not fit to be in partnership with decent people. They are not fit to be in the government of Northern Ireland and it will be over our dead bodies if they ever get there."
In a sign of the prevailing mood of war-weariness, that outburst triggered a swift rebuke from loyalist paramilitary leaders. "If there is blood to be spilled," observed a former UDA official, "then let Dr Paisley spill his own blood, because it will not be our blood he is climbing over."

bcarrier

Good article seafoid

The compact with Sinn Féin provoked few defections and prompted hardline supporters to query why he had not reached the same political compromise 40 years earlier – an act that might have sidestepped the mayhem and misery of the Troubles. The question that may never be satisfactorily answered is whether Paisley was the chief fomenter of Protestant alarm, or merely a larger-than-life reflection of it.

He may have condemned violence and taken extraordinary pains to avoid getting caught up in it, but he stirred, inflamed, ranted and terrified loyalists into believing that their heritage and their very lives were threatened. In the end, critics alleged, it was lust for power and a more imposing place in history that secured his conversion to the cause of political compromise. His belated commitment to cross-community cooperation, however, suggested that, like McGuinness, he had learned lessons during an extraordinary political odyssey.