Paisley gone to his eternal reward

Started by passedit, September 12, 2014, 12:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 12, 2014, 01:20:55 PM
Hard to believe he's gone. He obviously went on a  charm offensive (insomuch as he could) in his latter years, but he was one hateful man with his rhetoric in the really bad times.

Whatever way you view him, he was a huge, huge part of this country's history over the past 40 years or more, and it's certainly feels like the end of something big.

I'll feel no sadness for him. Bigoted ould bstard. Whilst the IRA army council perpetuated the violence on the nationalist side, Ian, Thatcher and a good few other prominent Unionist politicians perpetuated violence on their side for 30 or 40 years. A powerful figure in Unionism he could have led his people to compromise and peace. He choose not to and killed a great many people when he helped topple Sunningdale.

Be under no illusions he is responsible for hundreds of deaths.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

AZOffaly

I never said he wasn't. I have no grá for Ian Paisley, Jaysus. I'm just saying it is the end of  man who had a huge part in all of our consciousnesses growing up.

johnneycool

Quote from: mikehunt on September 12, 2014, 01:18:33 PM
He'd better hope God is in a forgiving mood today.

I found out about this just there now in mixed company, I couldn't feign any sadness and could only suggest that he'd have some explaining to do to his god.

Won't be able to watch BBC NI or UTV for a week now, but as there's Feck all on it, its no loss.

passedit

Don't Panic

general_lee

His contribution to politics here was less than positive. He formed his own church and political party, and went on to become First Minister in the north; eventually shunned from all 3. I don't think he'll be greatly missed by either his opponents or his supposed peers within Unionism... People say he mellowed in his later years,  I think he was just losing the plot.

trileacman

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on September 12, 2014, 01:28:47 PM
Getting that weird feeling, I hated the man for so many years, but the more I hear about him in recent years really does surprise me.

Fcuk him, got his grubby mits on power and like the Shinners was happy to to sell out his ideals to be calling the shots and have a load of English and Irish gobshites tell them what great peacemakers they are.

armaghniac

Paisley was a complex character, it is easy to characterise him as a simple bigot but worse he was someone who know better, but beat the drum when it suited him.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnneycool

Quote from: AQMP on September 12, 2014, 01:39:18 PM
Funeral will be private.

Ah shíte, I'll just have to go sign the book of condolences with his third force buddies in Newtownards.

trileacman

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 12, 2014, 01:32:45 PM
I never said he wasn't. I have no grá for Ian Paisley, Jaysus. I'm just saying it is the end of  man who had a huge part in all of our consciousnesses growing up.

I never said you did.

Watching RTE here now.To be fair there is little fawning over him apart from the obligatory "did his bit for peace in the latter years/ mellowed a bit" shite.

AQMP

Poster on the Guardian website:

"I think the best tribute which we can pay is to all observe a minute's shouting"

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: trileacman on September 12, 2014, 01:37:18 PM
Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on September 12, 2014, 01:28:47 PM
Getting that weird feeling, I hated the man for so many years, but the more I hear about him in recent years really does surprise me.

Fcuk him, got his grubby mits on power and like the Shinners was happy to to sell out his ideals to be calling the shots and have a load of English and Irish gobshites tell them what great peacemakers they are.

I tend to agree with you, just seen Chris Butlers report on BBC he summed up with .... PEACEMAKER, Paisley was no peacemaker, in fact he was the wart on the thumbs when others were trying to make peace

Kidder81

93-DY-SAM

I will definitely not be shedding any tears for him.  His contribution to life here in the North was negative to the extreme.

Just one thing I would point out, regardless what you thought of him be careful resorting to calling him this, that, thon and the other as it'll only be used in forums and social media else where to try and reflect badly on the GAA and anything remotely associated with the Catholic community.

T Fearon

Probably the epitome of Paisley's hatefulness was his relevantly recent allegation, made under Parlaimentary Privilege, that Eugene Reavey (whose three teenage brothers were shot dead in a sectarian massacre in their own home in 1976) was a senior member of the IRA, a claim refuted by the RUC/PSNI and every other source. Despite this he refused to apologise, causing untold distress to the elederly mother of the three lads and to the surviving family members, who had already suffered  more than enough.

No Sympathy Here.