Sean Brady Has Retired.

Are you glad to see him go?
42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Hardy

Quote from: Main Street on September 24, 2014, 11:13:49 AM
it's a form of cultural arrogance for all these new atheists (all of them westerners)
How do you come to the conclusion that there are no "new" atheists (by which I presume you mean people who have given up religious belief) in the East? Never mind in the North or South?

To believe that material science can answer all the unanswered questions regarding the universe is a type of faith that is essentially religious in nature. It is merely belief, not science but scientism.
Straw man. I don't know anybody who believes that. I'd say my take on this is typical enough – science concerns itself with trying to understand the material facts about the origin and working of the universe and to seeking the answers to those particular unanswered questions – the what, when and how.

In the course of that quest, when others (religions, for instance) intervene with claims without evidence, scientists simply state that there is no reason to consider those claims until some evidence is presented that makes them worthy of investigation. And when religions try to use those claims to promote ignorance (e.g. teaching "intelligent design") some scientists may take a political stance and oppose it.

But science doesn't concern itself with "all" the unanswered questions. In particular, the "why " questions that religion claims to answer and that philosophy concerns itself with considering, have no relevance at all to the realm of science. Until and unless evidence should happen to appear supporting some "why" hypothesis, science does not and will not concern itself with the purpose of existence. Right now, I'm not aware of any "why" hypothesis known to science.

The atheist will look at the universe and see no proof of God's existence and the spiritualist will look at the same universe and see everything as proof of God's existence.
I'd revise that to say that the atheist doesn't look at the universe in a frame of mind that even considers God's existence, never mind seeking proof of it. He just responds to claims of God's existence by stating that there's no reason to suppose a god exists. Or he may go further and state a political view that the world would be a better place if progress wasn't stunted or, worse, people slaughtered because of unsupported beliefs in supernatural phenomena.

T Fearon

To borrow a phrase from Hardy,Keep Posting.

Zip Code

Quote from: T Fearon on September 24, 2014, 06:14:35 PM
To borrow a phrase from Hardy,Keep Posting.

And you keep paving your path to heaven!!!

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 23, 2014, 07:05:52 PM
It stands to sense that if you don't believe in and indeed trust in God,he will not reward you, in the next life no matter if you live like a Saint,even that much is logical.

only if the god character has been written in such a way as to suffer from acute megalomania

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 23, 2014, 10:50:02 PM
Palm Funday? Seriously I am bemused as to the number of Theophobes who keep coming back looking for "proof " "evidence" or "logic" about the mysteries of faith.

Because we don't believe in fairy stories and can't but help laugh at those who do and separately we do occasionally get irrate at the influence these spiritualists have or attempt to gain

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 24, 2014, 06:39:08 AM
He appeared to all the apostles (Tom got quite a shock) and they all witnessed his ascension into heaven.

Evidence?

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 24, 2014, 09:47:51 AM
Like billions of other people I believe this.We can't all be wrong?

I don't understand. You believe something with out proof. Somebody else believes the same thing but also without evidence. How does amount to evidence that either/both of you are right in what you believe?

I child of 4 would not fall for such balmy "logic". Well one that has dodged brain-washing anyway

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 24, 2014, 11:39:26 AM
Generally no argument here is going to convert people here to or from religious belief.The issue on this thread now is the inordinately offensive reaction to religious beliefs and believers and the unilateral lack of tolerance demonstrated by non believers for those who do believe.

Ah now Tony. Is it the beliver or the belief that is being attacked?

Can't be anything wrong with attacking the belief (or its basis).

Belief cannot be tolerated just because someone believes it. If believers want their faith to have any influence on public policy then the believers will have to offer some evidence - real evidence and not just i believe it and somebody else does and therefore it must be true. Sure there are believers beheading people and all sorts because of their faith. There is also that old difficulty that believers have with believers in others imaginery friends.

T Fearon

I believe,you don't,that's your prerogative,I'm not in any way affected by your non belief,but why are you and so many others exercised by mine.As I said there's no evidence I can produce to make you change your mind.I don't understand why the non believers on this thread continue to get exercised,except of course I'm touching a few raw nerves and awakening latent voices?

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 24, 2014, 09:36:34 PM
I believe,you don't,that's your prerogative,I'm not in any way affected by your non belief,but why are you and so many others exercised by mine.As I said there's no evidence I can produce to make you change your mind.I don't understand why the non believers on this thread continue to get exercised,except of course I'm touching a few raw nerves and awakening latent voices?

Any chance of you answering any of the questions I have posted over the last 40 or pages - direct answers like?

T Fearon

I cannot provide answers to questions of faith, all I know,like Iceman,is that I believe I was created and that I will face judgement at the end of this life. This is faith and can neither be proved or disproved by anyone on earth.

johnneycool

Quote from: LCohen on September 24, 2014, 09:12:53 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 23, 2014, 07:05:52 PM
It stands to sense that if you don't believe in and indeed trust in God,he will not reward you, in the next life no matter if you live like a Saint,even that much is logical.

only if the god character has been written in such a way as to suffer from acute megalomania

So this God lad, he wants worshipped in a big way, the how you live your life part is an irrelevance as long as you worship him by carrying a bible with you, wear your best suit at mass, go to confessions and churn out the same nonsense you've been doing since you were 14, after that, you can do whatever you want.

No wonder Seany Brady thinks hes nothing to answer if this is his type of God too.

T Fearon

No no no.You must believe and avoid sin particularly the mortal variety.Stand by for the Catholics Come Home evangomercials to be launched here after its enormous success in the States in luring lapsed Catholics back to church.Prepare to be re-evangelised!

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 24, 2014, 10:01:52 PM
I cannot provide answers to questions of faith, all I know,like Iceman,is that I believe I was created and that I will face judgement at the end of this life. This is faith and can neither be proved or disproved by anyone on earth.

You have been asked specific question about what you personally did or did not believe in. If you do not consider yourself qualified to answer those question please explain why?