Are you glad to see him go?
42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

easytiger95

QuotePosted by: T Fearon
« on: Today at 07:05:52 PM » Insert Quote
It stands to sense that if you don't believe in and indeed trust in God,he will not reward you, in the next life no matter if you live like a Saint,even that much is logical.

eh Tony, we're talking about an omnipotent being who created the entire universe in 7 days, but still leaves dinosaur bones around as a joke to wind up Darwinists.

Logic really doesn't come into it. Indeed, isn't Faith the exact opposite of logic? So the application of logic to God's will, indeed the claiming of knowledge of God's will, is an act of incredible arrogance, going by the Christian belief system?

Armamike

Quote from: T Fearon on September 23, 2014, 01:41:13 PM
I said that is my core belief,I don't see the need to get bogged down in theological doctrinal.minutiae.Simply believe inHod,keep the commandments ,love your neighbour.

But you hate Tyrone.
That's just, like your opinion man.

The Iceman

Quote from: theskull1 on September 23, 2014, 07:39:54 PM
So the robber on the cross who told the other robber to shut his mouth, told JC he believed in him and then asked him for a lift up to heaven to which JC accepted.....what can we interpret from that?
This actually came up at in discussion this past weekend. Paradise was what the Jews referred to as the holding place. Not hell but not Heaven as Jews understood that Heaven was unattainable without the Messiah.
When Jesus died and descended to the dead he went to Paradise where he released all the Old Testament prophets to Heaven. This is where the "good" thief was promised - what I believe we call purgatory.

This past Sunday's gospel was about the Master hiring the labourers. He promised a fair day's wage for a fair day's work and men agreed. Then he went out at lunch time and found some more men standing about and hired them too. He did the same around mid afternoon and again 1 hour before the end of the shift. When the day was over he paid them all the same. Even though the first workers got what they were promised they complained. The master said because of this the first shall be last and the last shall be first.

It makes a lot of sense in light of some of the questions you raise. God promises eternity to those who freely love and serve Him. Some choose to early on in life, some choose on their death bed and some not at all. 
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

haveaharp

Quote from: T Fearon on September 23, 2014, 05:59:48 PM
No,belief in God must be accompanied by an appropriate lifestyle.As I said living like a Saint but not believing in God will not cut any ice with God.

You make God sound like an awful bollix. My own feeling is do right by others and whatever will be will be. Chances are christianity is only an extension of what one pharaoh did Akhenaten - basically switch from polytheism to monotheism and thereby paving the way for the modern religions. If you are punting on the afterlife you are only the same as the mad mullahs and their 70 virgins or whatever it is. Live it now.

T Fearon

Ephesians 2:8-9English Standard Version (ESV)

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

That's what the Bible says about good works and the need for these to be accompanied by faith

easytiger95

Google is great for a lad without a bible - that is the second google entry for "faith works bible"

Try this - Matthew 6:5

"And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.

Armamike

It's alright talking a good game about religion and faith but the trick is in practicing what you preach. I know a right few individuals who would call themselves christians and believe they're on a one way ticket to heaven but their actions and behaviour to others isn't very 'christian'.
That's just, like your opinion man.

ONeill

Tony has you lads in the palm of his hand. It's fairly funny.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T Fearon

Palm Funday? Seriously I am bemused as to the number of Theophobes who keep coming back looking for "proof " "evidence" or "logic" about the mysteries of faith.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

theskull1

Quote from: T Fearon on September 23, 2014, 10:50:02 PM
Palm Funday? Seriously I am bemused as to the number of Theophobes who keep coming back looking for "proof " "evidence" or "logic" about the mysteries of faith.

No we're just trying to find out if you know anything more about your faith than what was pumped into you at primary school. 

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

haveaharp

Quote from: theskull1 on September 24, 2014, 12:08:06 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 23, 2014, 10:50:02 PM

No we're just trying to find out if you know anything more about your faith than what was pumped into you at primary school.

The vincentians did their job alright.Shame Tony cant see that the  wonderful education was a hindrance not a help. Still he is quare value.

Main Street

Quote from: theskull1 on September 23, 2014, 07:39:54 PM
So the robber on the cross who told the other robber to shut his mouth, told JC he believed in him and then asked him for a lift up to heaven to which JC accepted.....what can we interpret from that?
Jesus never rebuked anybody who spoke favourably of him :)  he was much more a politician than a spiritualist. As for the alleged incident you describe, Jesus made many promises  with the populist zeal of a british government leader with a few days to go in the scottish referendum, promises which Jesus couldn't and didn't fulfil. The gospel of Matthew reads almost like an exposition of prophesy and fulfillment.
As for the crucifixion itself, we don't know what happened there as all the disciples were kept far away,  see Mat 27:55:56 Mark 15:21 Luke 23-49 romans 16:13.  John's testimony has little value. We don't know who was crucified. None of the apostles identified the corpse, whoever was on the cross was there for just a few hours, the 'body' was then wrapped in a shroud and spirited away.

T Fearon

He appeared to all the apostles (Tom got quite a shock) and they all witnessed his ascension into heaven.His mother witnessed the crucifixion.

haveaharp

Quote from: T Fearon on September 24, 2014, 06:39:08 AM
He appeared to all the apostles (Tom got quite a shock) and they all witnessed his ascension into heaven.His mother witnessed the crucifixion.

Jesus wept