Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardtole

Will anyone be able to put up prices for the SFC IFC and JFC games now that down are out. I think the first game is due to be played this Saturday.

DownFanatic

Senior Championship               
Day        Date   Time                  Venue      Referee   

Sat          30/7/11   5 00      ASK Lecale    v   Longstone      Newcastle      G Corrigan   

Mon      8/8/11   7 30      Warrenpoint   v   Ballyholland      Burren      O Burke   
Sat       6/8/11   7 30      Loughinisland   v   Tullylish      Castlewellan      L Smyth   
Wed       3/8/11   7 30      Rostrevor   v   Downpatrick      Kilcoo      E O Hare   
Sun      7/8/11   3 30      Clonduff    v   Castlewellan      Kilcoo      B Rice   
Sun      7/8/11   6 00      Saval   v    Mayobridge      Newry      C Brannigan   
Sun      7/8/11   7 30         v   Burren      Newry      G Tumelty   
Fri         5/8/11   7 30      An Riocht   v   Bryansford      Mayobridge      C Reynolds   
Thurs    4/8/11   7 30      Liatroim   v   Kilcoo      Clonduff      K Trainor   

Intermediate Championship               

Sun     7/8/11   3 30      Carryduff   v   Dundrum      Downpatrick      C Mooney   
Sun     7/8/11   2 00      Kilclief   v   Shamrocks      Kilcoo      S O Hanlon   
Sat      6/8/11   6 00      Drumaness   v   Atticall      Castlewellan      A Sharvin   
Thurs   4/8/11   7 30      Drumgath   v   Clann na Banna      Saval      N Cousins   
Sat      6/8/11   2 00      St Johns   v   Glasdrumman      Drumaness      D Ryan   
Tues   9/8/11   8 00      Darragh Cross   v   Annaclone      Newry      D Laverty   
Tues   9/8/11   6 30      Glenn   v    St John Bosco      Newry      D Brogan   
Sat      6/8/11   3 30      Ballymartin   v   Ardglass      Drumaness      F Laverty   

Junior Championship               

Sun       7/8/11   2 00      Dromara   v   Aughlisnafinn      St Johns      D Kearns   
Sun       7/8/11   2 00      Saul   v    Balllykinlar      Downpatrick      K Mc Mahon   
Fri         5/8/11   7 30      Bright   v   Mitchels      Dundrum      D Cotter   

5 Sams

Quote from: Out in Front on July 23, 2011, 10:36:15 PM
Who is the best fullback playing club football in Down at the moment?

Soupy Campbell....pity he's about half a foot too small. Outstanding performances week in week out for us....alright we use him quite a bit at half back but I've seen him holding the best forwards in the county scoreless regularly from any one of the six positions.
The Aristocrat Years

DownFanatic

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 24, 2011, 09:27:10 PM

Soupy Campbell....pity he's about half a foot too small. Outstanding performances week in week out for us....alright we use him quite a bit at half back but I've seen him holding the best forwards in the county scoreless regularly from any one of the six positions.

Was he about the county panel a few years back for awhile?

Best fullback in Division 3 is Stephen Deegans of Ardglass but he wouldn't be county standard nor is he the player he was 2/3 years ago.

thewobbler

There are very few clubs in the county who can afford the liberty of playing a county standard player at full back. For different reasons, Gordon and Garvey are probably the best options the county has, depending on what we're up against. 

Best club full backs in Down over past 4-5 years. Steve Trainor and Andrew Kane, both too old now. Brendan Grant, tried and failed. Gary McArdle and Darren Cunningham, tried but not trusted when it matters. Based on one game I saw, your man Johnston of Tullylish.

Damien Turley of Downpatrick has potential, but is probably missing the size needed. Darragh O Hanlon and Niall Donnelly will both get a run there sometime in the future, but only time will
tell there.

From my own perspective, if you had have put Colgan, King and Gordon in a line 2 years ago and asked me which one was going to be a county full back, Gordon would have been my distant 3rd pick. King's aggressiveness and Colgan's presence would have suggested so.

I'm sure McCartan and co must have pondered likewise and training must have been set up to find put who could play there.   

ardtole

Stevie Deegans is 30 this year, but he should have been in the county panel 10 years ago. Considering how down have been struggling for defenders particullary in the full back line going right back to Paddy O'Rourkes time in charge it was a disgrace he didnt get a chance with the county. Considering the likes of Adrian Scullion {who was playing div 3 with Carryduff around the same time} among many others were given ample opportunities it always pissed me off that Stevie was always overlooked.

On another not, I see the county board does not give ask lecale much hope of beating Longstone, the winners play Burren and that game is fixed the day after Ardglass v Ballymartin in the IFC and the same day as Kilclief and Saul play their first round games.

DownFanatic

Quote from: ardtole on July 24, 2011, 09:53:18 PM
Stevie Deegans is 30 this year, but he should have been in the county panel 10 years ago. Considering how down have been struggling for defenders particullary in the full back line going right back to Paddy O'Rourkes time in charge it was a disgrace he didnt get a chance with the county. Considering the likes of Adrian Scullion {who was playing div 3 with Carryduff around the same time} among many others were given ample opportunities it always pissed me off that Stevie was always overlooked.

On another not, I see the county board does not give ask lecale much hope of beating Longstone, the winners play Burren and that game is fixed the day after Ardglass v Ballymartin in the IFC and the same day as Kilclief and Saul play their first round games.

Will be interesting to see this Lecale lineup for Saturday's game. Im guessing it will be heavily Kilclief based. Ardtole, you think they have got a chance?

whitegoodman

Quote from: thewobbler on July 24, 2011, 09:45:30 PM
There are very few clubs in the county who can afford the liberty of playing a county standard player at full back. For different reasons, Gordon and Garvey are probably the best options the county has, depending on what we're up against. 

Best club full backs in Down over past 4-5 years. Steve Trainor and Andrew Kane, both too old now. Brendan Grant, tried and failed. Gary McArdle and Darren Cunningham, tried but not trusted when it matters. Based on one game I saw, your man Johnston of Tullylish.

Damien Turley of Downpatrick has potential, but is probably missing the size needed. Darragh O Hanlon and Niall Donnelly will both get a run there sometime in the future, but only time will
tell there.

From my own perspective, if you had have put Colgan, King and Gordon in a line 2 years ago and asked me which one was going to be a county full back, Gordon would have been my distant 3rd pick. King's aggressiveness and Colgan's presence would have suggested so.

I'm sure McCartan and co must have pondered likewise and training must have been set up to find put who could play there.   

I would say these boys were never tried because Colgan is slow and King is dead slow.  Gordon mightnt be the fastest but he has a degree of pace which allows him to man mark most men.  I just couldnt imagine King marking Stevie or even Donaghy for that matter and nor would i want to.  Colgan struggled to man mark from CHB and I would say he would be  worse at it further back against nippier, more dangerous forwards.  The same would apply to Mckernan imo

ardtole

It is very hard to say downfanatic. If you were to look at it, Longstone have 4 players who are currently in the senior county panel. Michael Higgins has played senior championship as well for Down. Lecale do not have any players who have even played a minute of league football for Down. So there is a huge difference in experience, id still expect Lecale to put it up to Longstone but no one will really know until saturday evening. I wonder what way the bookies will price up this game.

real food, real people

What about Peter Turley from Downpatrick at full back. i have a vague recollection of him doing rightly there a few times.

5 Sams

Quote from: DownFanatic on July 24, 2011, 09:31:41 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on July 24, 2011, 09:27:10 PM

Was indeed....height beats him but he has everything else

Was he about the county panel a few years back for awhile?

Best fullback in Division 3 is Stephen Deegans of Ardglass but he wouldn't be county standard nor is he the player he was 2/3 years ago.
The Aristocrat Years

An Cloch Scoilte

Senior Championship                

ASK Lecale    v  Longstone      

Warrenpoint   v   Ballyholland    
Loughinisland   v   Tullylish         
Rostrevor   v   Downpatrick         
Clonduff    v  Castlewellan        
Saval   v    Mayobridge         
          v  Burren      Newry     
An Riocht   v  Bryansford 
Liatroim   v   Kilcoo           

Intermediate Championship               

Carryduff   v   Dundrum       
Kilclief   v   Shamrocks       
Drumaness   v   Atticall         
Drumgath    v   Clann na Banna       
St Johns   v   Glasdrumman         
Darragh Cross   v   Annaclone       
Glenn   v    St John Bosco     
Ballymartin    v   Ardglass     

Junior Championship          

Dromara   v   Aughlisnafinn       
Saul    v    Balllykinlar       
Bright   v  Mitchels     

umpire

For those who are wishing to join the PREDICTION LEAGUE. Please wait till after 9pm on Satl  I will post the selection on Sat evening. Last year was a difficult one to organise due to  Down successful run to Ai final.
Thank you.

ardtole

I was hoping to capitalise on a preliminary round shock with a lecale win over Longstone.

umpire

Prediction League 2011
Only outright winners accepted in each game.

43 games in total
19 first round games in SFC, IFC and JFC
12 Quarter finals games in SFC, IFC and JFC
6 Semi-final games in SFC, IFC and JFC
6 Final games in SFC, IFC, JFC, PRFC, RFC and MFC

Previous Prediction league leaderboard

1   34    Bearly on loose
2   33    cokers
3   33    johnnie 99
4   33   Mid Down Gael
5   32   Dubh driocht

1   34   Bacon