Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

Quote from: redandblackareback on May 11, 2011, 02:06:05 PM
Quote from: supersub on May 11, 2011, 01:46:09 PM
Are there a round of fixtures next Friday as normal?

Yes on Friday the 20th supersub and they are completely starred. Handy one for yous supersub  ;)

Longstone v Mayobridge   
Saval v An Riocht 
Bryansford  v Kilcoo 
Rostrevor v Burren 
Ballyholland  v Clonduff 

The following friday, night before the Down game there is no fixture. I also heard last night that this weeks games are now no longer starred and only those players injured dont play. Surely this is going to cause a lot of controversy especially the likes of Ballyholland  for example who face Burren and probably would have a chance if Burrens 7 or 8 were starred?? Its an interesting one.

Cheers, thought so, just checking! Aye should be a breeze sure..

Square Ball

with ASK lecale who will be managing? will it be one of the three managers or will an outsider be brought in for the short term?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

whitegoodman

Quote from: redandblackareback on May 11, 2011, 02:06:05 PM
Quote from: supersub on May 11, 2011, 01:46:09 PM
Are there a round of fixtures next Friday as normal?

Yes on Friday the 20th supersub and they are completely starred. Handy one for yous supersub  ;)

Longstone v Mayobridge   
Saval v An Riocht 
Bryansford  v Kilcoo 
Rostrevor v Burren 
Ballyholland  v Clonduff 

The following friday, night before the Down game there is no fixture. I also heard last night that this weeks games are now no longer starred and only those players injured dont play. Surely this is going to cause a lot of controversy especially the likes of Ballyholland  for example who face Burren and probably would have a chance if Burrens 7 or 8 were starred?? Its an interesting one.

I would say the way Burren and the harps are playing at min ballyholland would fancy their chances this friday with or without county men.  If they had of believed in themselves a bit more they would have beat the bridge the other night.

Bryansford could also give bridge a bit of a hidden 2night although it seems to a very funny league thus far with only the ford providing any real consistency.  Have watched them a couple of times this year and they have quick impressive forwards with mcginn pulling the strings.  Will be interesting to see how the fare without him for the next few game.  They look like a team with a point to prove though.

blueannavy

bridge and brynsford drew 1-06 to 0-09

centre 3/4s

Was at ford/bridge game tonight although it was not a classic with both teams missing some big players it was a descent enough encounter. Again the main talking point after the game was the ref unfortunately which is becoming more and more common. From the first minute the decisions were becoming more and more bizarre, the bridge got a goal which was clearly a blatant foul and the ford got an equalising point from a free which begars belief. 2 boys lined as well in a game of very few bad tackles.

EagleLord

Didnt see much wrong with the goal myself to be honest, the keeper caught it, then as he was coming out he got dispossessed, what foul was there? Missed what happened with the red cards, first thing i saw was the both boys on the ground. As for the ref? Hes em, animated, isnt he, cant really tell what the foul is, its good that he explains why its a foulto the player, i.e with his words, but some of thoe hand gestures would leave scrathing you head!  :D

alba2

Quote from: redandblackareback on May 11, 2011, 02:58:18 PM
Quote from: alba2 on May 11, 2011, 02:50:57 PM
Quote from: goldenyears on May 10, 2011, 10:48:24 PM
Its common knowledge Marty flies to Oz the week after the Armagh game to resign for Collingwood. He will then go there full time once Down get knocked out. Is anyone actually surprised?!

Goood luck to the lad! He is a top top quality player annd I hope he is a star again in Aussie Rules.

With the way he is behaving lately - the sooner he goes back to Australia - the better.  We dont need pre madonnas like him swanning around like he owns the place.  Send him packing i say.

Enlighten us oh knowledgable one  ::)

Drinking flat out when the rest of the panel are on a drink ban... Why should he get away with it - just caus he is Marty clarke?? He obviously has his head set in Australia at the minute with the way he is behaving off the field.  Let him go. He might be a great player and the one that makes the team tick at the minute - but no player is bigger than the team. Down football existed before he came home and will exist when he leaves.. Off ya go n good riddance..

5 Sams

Quote from: alba2 on May 12, 2011, 10:46:30 AM
Quote from: redandblackareback on May 11, 2011, 02:58:18 PM
Its common knowledge Marty flies to Oz the week after the Armagh game to resign for Collingwood. He will then go there full time once Down get knocked out. Is anyone actually surprised?!

Goood luck to the lad! He is a top top quality player annd I hope he is a star again in Aussie Rules.

With the way he is behaving lately - the sooner he goes back to Australia - the better.  We dont need pre madonnas like him swanning around like he owns the place.  Send him packing i say.

Enlighten us oh knowledgable one  ::)

Drinking flat out when the rest of the panel are on a drink ban... Why should he get away with it - just caus he is Marty clarke?? He obviously has his head set in Australia at the minute with the way he is behaving off the field.  Let him go. He might be a great player and the one that makes the team tick at the minute - but no player is bigger than the team. Down football existed before he came home and will exist when he leaves.. Off ya go n good riddance..

You're a big brave man making anonymous accusations on the internet about a player who can't defend himself....catch yourself on and delete your last remark...
The Aristocrat Years

PAULD123

You know what, so what if he is, big deal. Drink bans are to prevent players from being unable to train properly due to hangovers and the other effects of booze. Do you seriously think for a second that Marty Clarke will step onto the Athletic Grounds turf anthing less than 100% fit?

So long as he is fully fit and doesn't drink for at least a week before the match then any additional abstinence would have no additional benefit.

thewobbler

So out of touch with reality are a few GAA followers, that unless Marty hits 1.10 in every game, then he is an overrated and uncommitted failure.

The fact that he was the single most important part of Down's rise from no-hopers to serious All-Ireland contenders last season, just doesn't seem to wash with them. They expect 70 minutes of constant motion and flawlessness. Their warped brains tell them that's what the best players do every week.

Go back to soccer you loons; where you can sell him and get Torres in instead. And then you can restart your circle.

dundrumite

This forum used to be a good one. Now it goes from bad to worse

whitegoodman

Quote from: thewobbler on May 12, 2011, 11:22:59 AM
So out of touch with reality are a few GAA followers, that unless Marty hits 1.10 in every game, then he is an overrated and uncommitted failure.

The fact that he was the single most important part of Down's rise from no-hopers to serious All-Ireland contenders last season, just doesn't seem to wash with them. They expect 70 minutes of constant motion and flawlessness. Their warped brains tell them that's what the best players do every week.

Go back to soccer you loons; where you can sell him and get Torres in instead. And then you can restart your circle.

Not in any way trying to defend what has been said but dont think he is having a go at previous performances or how important marty is to the team moreover his current committment to the team.

Some of the comments made were way over the top and this isnt really the place to be posting any rumour about possible drinking thats going on by some players.

However I do disagree with the point made that so what if one of the players is drinking. Its not only the physical fitness issue, if the team made a collective committment to be on a drink ban then no player is bigger than this and it would be disappointing to hear if it wasnt adheared to.  I remember hearing about similar rumours about some of our bigger players during POR era and it did appear to have an effect on team morale.

Its all hearsay though and i would hope none of it is actually true.

alba2

Im not talking about his physical conditioning - its the fact that he can go drinking when the others are adhering to the ban - thats not on.  And no i wont delete my last remark - this is a disscussion board where you are allowed to express your opinions.  He is a class player and one you would def pay money to watch - but why show disrespect to those around you by breaking their stance on drinking... And it was a players decision - not managements - to start the ban..

supersub

There have been some wayward remarks made over the last while by some of the newer posters on the board. Yes it is a discussion forum but like everything else, use it in moderation. Accusations like the ones put forward and the phrasing used (ie. 'Flat out') are very disrespectful to the persons concerned. Maybe there has been some of this going on, but I don't think there is any need for a scathing attack on argubly our best player from an un named cyber poster so close to a major fixture. Do you think what is written on the board stays on the board? News travels fast, especially where high profile players are concerned.

alba2

Quote from: supersub on May 12, 2011, 01:34:51 PM
There have been some wayward remarks made over the last while by some of the newer posters on the board. Yes it is a discussion forum but like everything else, use it in moderation. Accusations like the ones put forward and the phrasing used (ie. 'Flat out') are very disrespectful to the persons concerned. Maybe there has been some of this going on, but I don't think there is any need for a scathing attack on argubly our best player from an un named cyber poster so close to a major fixture. Do you think what is written on the board stays on the board? News travels fast, especially where high profile players are concerned.

Well maybe it will make him sit up and take notice.. And the term flat out is used in context this time... And newer posters have as much right as ye elder statemen...