Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maiden1

If they are going to amalgamate they would need to do it right, no point players turning up a week before they play Mayobridge and the manager asking everyone there name and what position they play then expecting them to go out and get within 15 points.  In South Kerry or whoever they will be training for months and working on a team with someone like Paidi O'Se as the manager of the players.  I'm all for it, 1/2 the team for both Cork and Kerry are from junior clubs.  If someone playing in corner back for Ballykinlar looked great against Aglisnafin no one would pay any attention.  If they where marking Benny Coulter in a team with Ballykinlar, Dundrum, St Johns, Dromara .. and Benny got 1 score the whole game then he might have a case for someone having another look at him.

County trials when a new manager comes along where a few players are asked to go to a trial are a load of b&llS, players at the trial will stick with there teammates and the whole point of the trial is for a player to look good, not for the team to look good.  A real championship games where the score is level with 5 minutes to go will give a much better indication of what players could step up at senior level.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

outinfront

@ Square ball:

Ok personal choice I guess - not speaking for all.   

John o connor

Don't want to spread any rumours , any one hear any news on m.Clarke tonight ?

supersub

Would know someone quite close to him and haven't heard anything (yet) tonight.

football-4-life

John o connor

I don't single players out by name if I'm on the board after a game and there's been a lot of nonsense on here already in the build up to the 28th so I'd rather not even give more rumours a chance to build if you guys on here hav nt herd anything that is good enough for me

here comes 6

tell me what you have heard and i will tell you if its correct or not

goldenyears

Its common knowledge Marty flies to Oz the week after the Armagh game to resign for Collingwood. He will then go there full time once Down get knocked out. Is anyone actually surprised?!

Goood luck to the lad! He is a top top quality player annd I hope he is a star again in Aussie Rules.

goldenyears

Also injury list is Brendy, D Raff, Gerard McCartan, Conor Garvey, Conor Maginn, Marty Clarke, Rony Murtagh + Benny. Quite a list! Got to be worrying given the closeness of the Armagh game! Hard to just turn up + play if they haven't trained, played in house friendlies etc 

supersub

Are there a round of fixtures next Friday as normal?

redandblackareback

Quote from: supersub on May 11, 2011, 01:46:09 PM

Yes on Friday the 20th supersub and they are completely starred. Handy one for yous supersub  ;)

Longstone v Mayobridge   
Saval v An Riocht 
Bryansford  v Kilcoo 
Rostrevor v Burren 
Ballyholland  v Clonduff 

The following friday, night before the Down game there is no fixture. I also heard last night that this weeks games are now no longer starred and only those players injured dont play. Surely this is going to cause a lot of controversy especially the likes of Ballyholland  for example who face Burren and probably would have a chance if Burrens 7 or 8 were starred?? Its an interesting one.

alba2

Quote from: goldenyears on May 10, 2011, 10:48:24 PM
Its common knowledge Marty flies to Oz the week after the Armagh game to resign for Collingwood. He will then go there full time once Down get knocked out. Is anyone actually surprised?!

Goood luck to the lad! He is a top top quality player annd I hope he is a star again in Aussie Rules.

With the way he is behaving lately - the sooner he goes back to Australia - the better.  We dont need pre madonnas like him swanning around like he owns the place.  Send him packing i say.

Brick Tamlin

You, my friend, are whats known as a Gabsh!te.

redandblackareback

Quote from: alba2 on May 11, 2011, 02:50:57 PM
Quote from: goldenyears on May 10, 2011, 10:48:24 PM

With the way he is behaving lately - the sooner he goes back to Australia - the better.  We dont need pre madonnas like him swanning around like he owns the place.  Send him packing i say.

Enlighten us oh knowledgable one  ::)

5 Sams

Quote from: redandblackareback on May 11, 2011, 02:06:05 PM
Quote from: supersub on May 11, 2011, 01:46:09 PM

Yes on Friday the 20th supersub and they are completely starred. Handy one for yous supersub  ;)

Longstone v Mayobridge   
Saval v An Riocht 
Bryansford  v Kilcoo 
Rostrevor v Burren 
Ballyholland  v Clonduff 

The following friday, night before the Down game there is no fixture. I also heard last night that this weeks games are now no longer starred and only those players injured dont play. Surely this is going to cause a lot of controversy especially the likes of Ballyholland  for example who face Burren and probably would have a chance if Burrens 7 or 8 were starred?? Its an interesting one.

Not sure where you heard that....still starred afaik
The Aristocrat Years