Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knockitdown

Quote from: cloneman on February 02, 2011, 10:19:21 PM
Quote from: western exile on February 02, 2011, 12:14:03 AM
Quote from: redandblackareback on February 01, 2011, 10:02:24 PM
Yes Cloneman, setanta sports is available in the 6 counties but unfortunately Setanta Ireland is not... Which channel are we on saturday? Ireland or sports?
Setanta Ireland -->  Armagh v. Dublin
Setanta Sport  ---> Mayo v. Down

Cheers for the replies lads. Looked into it and have subscribed. Setanta Ireland seems to be working ok.

I see you have a big derby for your opening fixture of the season cloneman. You would have to expect a tight came there given the closeness of the games between drumgath and tullylish and annaclone and tullylish in last years championship?

PAULD123

Does anyone know which turnstile to use for the Mayo vs Down game for season ticket holders?

cloneman

Quote from: knockitdown on February 03, 2011, 12:53:35 PM
Quote from: cloneman on February 02, 2011, 10:19:21 PM
Quote from: western exile on February 02, 2011, 12:14:03 AM
Quote from: redandblackareback on February 01, 2011, 10:02:24 PM
Yes Cloneman, setanta sports is available in the 6 counties but unfortunately Setanta Ireland is not... Which channel are we on saturday? Ireland or sports?
Setanta Ireland -->  Armagh v. Dublin
Setanta Sport  ---> Mayo v. Down

Cheers for the replies lads. Looked into it and have subscribed. Setanta Ireland seems to be working ok.

I see you have a big derby for your opening fixture of the season cloneman. You would have to expect a tight came there given the closeness of the games between drumgath and tullylish and annaclone and tullylish in last years championship?

Its a good way to get focused for the start of the league, though we'd need to do better than last year when Banbridge hammered us in the first game.  Looking forward to it already!

cloneman

Quote from: PAULD123 on February 03, 2011, 02:06:46 PM
Does anyone know which turnstile to use for the Mayo vs Down game for season ticket holders?

Turnstiles 1 and 2 according to the season ticket website.

whitegoodman

With Johnny McCumisky at the helm i would expect annaclone to go very close in the intermediate and league this year.  The man has a very record of getting clubs out of the 2nd division.  Should be a very tight league

knockitdown

Down panel to be named tonyt. Anyone hear?

Out in Front

whitegoodman

yes on website, a bit too p*ssed off with it to put it up!!!!!!!!

cloneman

Quote from: whitegoodman on February 03, 2011, 07:31:31 PM
With Johnny McCumisky at the helm i would expect annaclone to go very close in the intermediate and league this year.  The man has a very record of getting clubs out of the 2nd division.  Should be a very tight league

All being well his record will continue this year. It'll be a serious competitive division this year. When you look at the fixtures there ain't any easy match to be seen!

redandblackareback

Quote from: whitegoodman on February 03, 2011, 11:29:23 PM
yes on website, a bit too p*ssed off with it to put it up!!!!!!!!

So what are you pissed off about then.........

1. Bmc Veigh
2. A brannigan
3. D Gordon
4. L Howard
5. Liam Doyle
6. K Mc Kernan
7. P Mc Polin
8. P Fitzpatrick
9. K King
10. D Hughes
11. M Poland
12. M Clarke
13. C Maginn
14. J Clarke
15. B Coulter

whitegoodman

Ok so pissed off may be a bit strong, who am i to tell management that took a team from nowhere to an all ireland final how to pick a team.

Anyway my gripes are 5,7,12 and 13

IMO doyle isnt ready but if they are going to play him give him a chance, play him CHB or at very worst LHB, he is prodominetly left sided and i would bet has never worn the number 5 shirt in his life before.  Some may say it is being fussy but there can be a huge difference between playing 5 and 7, it basically means he will have to go infield alot which can be dangerous coming out of defence. 

McPolin is young and im not sure if he is ready for this level having not played alot of games in defence before never mind at this level.  Maybe if he had 5 of the 6 defenders from last year beside him then that could have been the time to try him.  I would have preferred gerrard mccartan, colm murney or even mcginn or carr there if garvey wasnt deemed fit.

People may laugh when i say 12 but i say it because imo james got it perfect playing marty at 15 last year.  Invariably a corner back isnt going to be running down the field scoring points and usually concentrating on keeping his opposite number quiet.  If marty lines out at WHF it means he may have to track speedy attacking wing backs which he neither likes doing or is good at.  This imo could cause alot of damage

I would have murtagh starting in the FFL and coulter at WHF simply because i think he offers more of a threat than mcginn and there are enough ball winners around the midfield with mcginn coming out the field to add more.  It would also give benny the freedom that he thrived in last year.

Anyhow just my opinion and im prepared for the backlash lol.  Good luck to the boys down there in what will be a tough assignment.

Mourne Rover

Bonny is unlucky not to get a start in the corner ahead of Brannigan and Costello would be well worth a run there as well. It is brilliant to see Doyle back, and hopefully he is fit enough to give it a real go. McPolin is on the small side for a half back, and Carr will be disappointed that he did not make the cut either there or in the half forward line.

If we can put any sort of a defensive performance together, which is far from certain, our midfield and forward line are well up to strength. Whitegoodman should try not to lose too much sleep worrying about Marty Clarke in the meantime.

PAULD123

I agree that Doyle would be better suited to the left side and also McPolin played both his McKenna cup games at Right corner back. But don't be too annoyed yet WhiteG, James will watch how its going and make any changes necessary. We all know Doyler is not fully fit so we just have to see how he does and how he lasts.

I would also have given Murtagh a shout at the corner but mostly just because he deserves a reward after his contribution last year. In terms of ability I don't think there is much between him and McGinn and I think McGinn may be a wee bit more physical.

As for Marty, Down don't play a structured attack. The principle is to play full throttle in the HF line, so wing forwards switch regularly with the corner forwards to give rest times. That will continue so it is irrelevant the number on the back of the man. Last year we had the most fluid attack in the country.

Overall James has put out the strongest team possible. It will be good to see if Barnnigan, McPolin, Doyler, or Howard can make a case for a starting place. I have high hopes for Howard, Think Brannigan is too rash but may learn, and we all know Doyler was pure class - can he recover it????

supersub

Heard G McCartan in for Doyle and McComiskey for Maginn?

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: supersub on February 04, 2011, 12:55:13 PM
Heard G McCartan in for Doyle and McComiskey for Maginn?

Yes that is correct. Team Is:

1.   Brendan McVeigh   (An Ríocht)
24. Gerard Mc Cartan ( Boireann )
3.   Dan Gordon   (Loch an Oileáin)
4.   Luke Howard   (Áth Bhriain)
2. Aidan Brannigan ( Cill Chua
6.   Kevin McKernan   (Boireann)
7.   Paul McPolin   (Cluain Dáimh)
8.   Peter Fitzpatrick   (Baile Mhairtín)
9   Kalum King   (Áth Bhriain)
10.   Daniel Hughes   (Sabhaill)
11.   Mark Poland   (Cloch Fhada)
12.   Martin Clarke   (An Ríocht)
17. Paul Mc Comiskey (Dun Dromara )
14.   John Clarke   (An Ríocht)
15.   Brendan Coulter   (Droichead Mhaigh Éo)