Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

Quote from: alba2 on January 31, 2011, 08:13:01 AM
Quote from: whitegoodman on January 30, 2011, 08:33:59 PM
IMO howard hasnt been the same player since he injured is knee, think he may have lost a yard or 2.  Wasnt impressed with him in the fords run to the final last year.

I think Dan McCartan is a cert for the championship starting lineup for 2 reasons, a) given that the first few games in the league will have a very inexperienced defence, i dont see too many impressing and b) Dan was more often than not put on one of the oppositions better forwards last year and i cant recall him getting cleaned out once, there is no reason for him to be dropped IMO

Howard has class and you will see that this season with him and Mc Cartan wasnt cleaned out at all... 9 points in all ireland final of which he conceeded 3 frees his man scored and he also popped over 3 from play on him.  IMO thats a cleaning of the highest order.  But in previous games he did rightly.

ya may want to have another wee look at that all ireland final again.  Goulding scored 8 points including 2 45's and 4 frees of which none of them came off dan mccartan.  That leaves 2 points from play which were 2 as good as points as ur likely to see.

Go have a wee look see, go on  ;)

general

with all the mad signings in the PL today, who have loughinisland snapped up?  ;D

cloneman

Does anyone know if the Setanta Sports channels are available in the North?

redandblackareback

Yes Cloneman, setanta sports is available in the 6 counties but unfortunately Setanta Ireland is not... Which channel are we on saturday? Ireland or sports?

whitegoodman

im near sure u can get both channels in the north, u could a while back anyway

western exile

Quote from: redandblackareback on February 01, 2011, 10:02:24 PM
Yes Cloneman, setanta sports is available in the 6 counties but unfortunately Setanta Ireland is not... Which channel are we on saturday? Ireland or sports?
Setanta Ireland -->  Armagh v. Dublin
Setanta Sport  ---> Mayo v. Down

Lecale2

Any takers today at Down Royal?

3:15 | 1st no 4 Dundrum (B J Geraghty, 8-1 )

Does any one know if Timmy Hanna is still on county panel ?

whitegoodman

Good question, wasnt around during the mckenna cup or challenge matches, could do with a fully fit timmy hanna this wkend.

Could be injured again, talented player who seemed to be injured plagued for the last 18 months.

To answer your question, 90% sure he is not on the current panel.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 30, 2011, 07:06:29 PM
id say james knows his best team alright but getting to play them is a different matter!!!!

Due to injuries u could see something like the following

B McVeigh
L Howard
D Gordon
A Brannigan
C Maginn/A Carr
K McKernan
C Garvey
P Fitzpatrick
K King
D Hughes
M Poland
B Coulter
J Clarke
R Murtagh
M Clarke

Put mcginn/carr in half back line as i dont think any other fit squad member is yet fit to play at that level.  Any other suggestions welcome.

Like the forward line but wouldnt have much confidence in the defence.

Could see this lineout come Sat. Team nearly picks itself considering our defensive options. If Garvey is struggling you could find the in form Colm Murney (With UUJ) being slotted in at 4 and Brannigan to 7 with Maginn likely to start at 5, mainly due to the managements favourtism. Carr would be a much better option imo. Id be of the opinion the bench will be 16. Cathal Murdock, 17. Gary McArdle, 18. Liam Doyle, 19. Kevin Anderson, 20. Conor Garvey, 21. Michael Magee, 22. Paul McComiskey, 23.Aidan Carr, 24.Conor Laverty, 25. Ronan Sexton, 26. Gerard McCartan.

whitegoodman

was colm murney really playing midfield for UUJ the other day, he must have filled out a bit in the last year r 2.  U could see him come in alright.  Agree with ya on mcginn, james really likes him and may find a place for him in the half back line although carr would have more experience there.

Is gerrard mccartan on the down panel or are u talking about michael mccartan. Is mccumisky or garvey even fit for the bench??

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: whitegoodman on February 02, 2011, 08:58:37 PM
was colm murney really playing midfield for UUJ the other day, he must have filled out a bit in the last year r 2.  U could see him come in alright.  Agree with ya on mcginn, james really likes him and may find a place for him in the half back line although carr would have more experience there.

Is gerrard mccartan on the down panel or are u talking about michael mccartan. Is mccumisky or garvey even fit for the bench??

Gerard McCartan joined the squad this week.

Dubh driocht

MDG, you're the man in the know- is Eoin Costello in the squad ?Is King fit to start ?Is Mc Comiskey anwhere near match-fit ?
I think James will recognise this as an important game and it really is a drawback to have so many first choice defenders unavailable.Like everyone else I've heard no more about Colgan's appeal so presume he is out too.I think the team from WGM/MDG team without Garvey will be close to what James picks although as Doyle is unlikely to last 70 a big decision will be whether to start him or bring him on. Their attack looks fairly strong and Aodhan O'Se is a monster despite being only 21- he had a poor year last year and I don't see anyone aggressive enough to mark him.We have seriously hard games on the road and Armagh, Monaghan and Galway will fancy their chances in Newry. Having bought a season ticket I can't go but hope to get it on Setanta if I can find a pub with a friendly Barman.

whitegoodman

didnt no gerrard mccartan was back on the panel, he could def be an opiton at wing back given his performances for burren last year and the lack of alternatives at the present mo.

I cant get down to the match either and am hoping to catch it on setanta myself.  Anyone no any pubs in and around newry which will definitly have setanta.

cloneman

Quote from: western exile on February 02, 2011, 12:14:03 AM
Quote from: redandblackareback on February 01, 2011, 10:02:24 PM
Setanta Ireland -->  Armagh v. Dublin
Setanta Sport  ---> Mayo v. Down

Cheers for the replies lads. Looked into it and have subscribed. Setanta Ireland seems to be working ok.