Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

western exile

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 10, 2010, 02:48:33 PM
How do you get to Croke Park from Newry? I haven't been there since 1994 and I hear there's a new road.
Yep. New motorway built especially to link the Bredagh club with HQ  ;D

passedit

Quote from: western exile on September 10, 2010, 03:11:41 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on September 10, 2010, 02:48:33 PM
How do you get to Croke Park from Newry? I haven't been there since 1994 and I hear there's a new road.
Yep. New motorway built especially to link the Bredagh club with HQ  ;D

Don't worry, there's a bus running. brick's driving as he's the only one knows the way.

Don't Panic

T O Hare

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on September 10, 2010, 10:33:23 AM
Quote from: T O Hare on September 10, 2010, 01:29:07 AM
Four of the best points you will ever see.. The man just lit up the game when we were two points down!! Everyone went out of the ground with the man on their lips!! The word legend is overused but we are lucky to have this man!!!

Think its very unfair to expect yous to play again on Saturday in simi final. Had yous a choice?

its the co board so no :) yous are 4/6 to win in PP  ;)
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Whitehair

Quote from: Bacon on September 07, 2010, 08:52:04 PM
Championship hurling this week and it all kicks off tomorrow with the Betsy Gray Cup semi final between Ballycran and Portaferry. When these two met last year I hear it was like the start of Gangs of New York but Im sure they've all mellowed in the mean time. Ballycran to win by 2 points just because they're at home. Both teams to finish with 15 men for a change.

JHC final is in Ballela on Sunday and should be a really competitve fixture. Ballyvarley won this championship 2 or 3 years ago and are probably favorites to win it again after spending this season in Div 1. It helped the Point last year and I think it will help the reds this year. Ballyvarley to win by 3.

In the Intermediate final Shamrocks play Bredagh. Liatoim hammered Bredagh in the final last year but I cant see them getting a tankin again. This one could be a draw but I'll go for the experience of Shamrocks to pull them through by a point.

In the Senior semi final Ballygalget will be most peoples favorites to beat there old rivals. They've won the league meetings this year and have had the better of the Ports in the championship for a couple of years. I think there'll be an upset and I expect Portaferry to win it by a couple of points.

Anybody else any views on the hurling?

In the JHC you would expect Ballyvarley having the Div 1 experience to win though Hilltown will put up a good show, we beat them in the Final a few years back but we were made work for it for long periods. If Ballyvarley dont show enough appetite and physicality early on they could end up getting rolled like they did by Castlewellan in last years Junior, enough skill just no devilment. Reds by 4

The IHC should be tight but if Bredagh approach the game the way they did against us with plenty of ball into the corners then I see them winning. Bredagh have a much better balanced squad with options off the bench whereas Newry struggle to have options 1-15. Shamrocks beat Kilclief by a few points having been gifted two soft goals, which Bredagh wont be doing as we sadly found out with Jack in good form. Eoin Mc Guinness was playing wing forward against kilclief but he'l probably be needed closer to goal on sunday, Mal and Jonny couldnt get the better of the Bredagh defence for us so he may meet the same fate. Ciaran Courtney'l clear ample ball from centre back but may finish the game in full forward which could result in some of the Bredagh line taking a coronary if its close. Bredagh to play Senior Championship 2011.

Magic's probably better support in the senior semi final with Danny Toner a big advantage for them this year, so Galgets by 2.

Out in Front

Just to let you know that two of the wiser and respected Down members of gaaboard.ie have contributed their views to the Newry Reporter's All-Ireland supplement - a page each they got too.
To protect their anonymity I won't say who they are but they go by their board names in the articles.

There were some complaints on a posting somewhere about a club charging £10 per ticket for a raffle for two All-ireland tickets - we've 2 sets of two up for grabs in the paper. You'd have to buy the paper though to get the two entry slips you need to enter and entries have to be in by 5pm on Monday.

EagleLord

Got ticket, sorted, friggin psyched now boys! I know the seating plan lads dont worry ;D

Dubh driocht

Setting aside the ticket debate, I have to give credit to the Down County Board and in particular Seamus Walsh and Sean Og.In the past I have been critical of certain decisions but I have to take my hat off to all the office holders and indeed Club Down.To host a very successful congress, organise excellent and fitting tributes to the 1960 team and to date make very impressive preparations for the football final in the same year is no mean feat.I know the Hurling people might suggest it is the poor relation but I don't believe  the DCB or these men in particular could do much more with what we have. Add in the best organised Scor in the 32 counties, competitive and regular leagues at all levels, big improvements in refereeing standards and it's clear we are well served by these volunteers.I know Sean Og is paid but he must put in 80 plus hours a week. Seamus Walsh is a gentleman ;gets on with the job and doesn't seek the spotlight - fair play to Dundrum for honouring him alongside Paul Mc Comiskey with a first class display in the village

Lecale2

Hurling Results:

IHC Final
Bredagh 2-15 2-10 Shamrocks

JHC Final
Clonduff 1-13 1-11 Ballyvarley

2 very tight games with the better team winning in both. I'm away for a pint to celebrate our first intermediate title!

dundrumite

Quote from: Dubh driocht on September 12, 2010, 05:42:35 PM
Setting aside the ticket debate, I have to give credit to the Down County Board and in particular Seamus Walsh and Sean Og.In the past I have been critical of certain decisions but I have to take my hat off to all the office holders and indeed Club Down.To host a very successful congress, organise excellent and fitting tributes to the 1960 team and to date make very impressive preparations for the football final in the same year is no mean feat.I know the Hurling people might suggest it is the poor relation but I don't believe  the DCB or these men in particular could do much more with what we have. Add in the best organised Scor in the 32 counties, competitive and regular leagues at all levels, big improvements in refereeing standards and it's clear we are well served by these volunteers.I know Sean Og is paid but he must put in 80 plus hours a week. Seamus Walsh is a gentleman ;gets on with the job and doesn't seek the spotlight - fair play to Dundrum for honouring him alongside Paul Mc Comiskey with a first class display in the village

Well said, delighted for Seamy, he is a top bloke and has done a lot for our club,especially in the early 90s when the club were experiencing a lot of difficulties.

Square Ball

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 12, 2010, 06:32:53 PM
Hurling Results:

IHC Final
Bredagh 2-15 2-10 Shamrocks

JHC Final
Clonduff 1-13 1-11 Ballyvarley

2 very tight games with the better team winning in both. I'm away for a pint to celebrate our first intermediate title!

me too, an hes buying  :)
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

MCMLX

The Down CB have done a great job over the last few weeks. The bigger clubs are getting a fairer share of the tickets and although they wont be able to please everyone, they are doing their upmost to sort things out. I certainly wouldnt want to be in Sean ogs shoes at the minute, his phone must be hopping. Well done to all and hopefully we will all be celebrating in the Citywest this time next week.
An Dun abu, back @ HQ.

MCMLX

Ballygalget beat Portaferry by a point.

5 Sams

Agree 100% with everything you say Dubh Driocht esp about Seamus Walsh...a gentleman of the highest order and always very accommodating...one of our better Cathaoirleachs. Sean Og has the most demanding job in Ireland at the minute but I have had cause to ring him re tickets for the semi and qtr finals and his response was always "sure I'll bring them home for you"....as if he hadnt enough to do!! Seems as if his aim for the qtr and semi finals was to get as many Down people as possible in Croke Park. He'll deserve some holiday come the end of September....I think all around the Co Board have done a fine job so far....one special mention however Feargal McCormack and his company seem to be behind a lot of stuff in arranging events etc...a hell of a resource to have.
The Aristocrat Years

wavesofTORRES

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 12, 2010, 08:34:41 PM

Agree 100% with everything you say Dubh Driocht esp about Seamus Walsh...a gentleman of the highest order and always very accommodating...one of our better Cathaoirleachs. Sean Og has the most demanding job in Ireland at the minute but I have had cause to ring him re tickets for the semi and qtr finals and his response was always "sure I'll bring them home for you"....as if he hadnt enough to do!! Seems as if his aim for the qtr and semi finals was to get as many Down people as possible in Croke Park. He'll deserve some holiday come the end of September....I think all around the Co Board have done a fine job so far....one special mention however Feargal McCormack and his company seem to be behind a lot of stuff in arranging events etc...a hell of a resource to have.
That explains where the £12.50 levy on the tickets is going to.

5 Sams

Quote from: wavesofTORRES on September 12, 2010, 08:45:06 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on September 12, 2010, 08:34:41 PM

That explains where the £12.50 levy on the tickets is going to.

Knowing McCormack and his support of the GAA in Down over the years you're barking up the wrong tree there. Your username says it all about you ye boy ye.
The Aristocrat Years