Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Martin

Did Down not avoid defeat in their 7 league games in 2004 under POR.

They did draw a right few though and I think they went on to lose to Offaly in the final.

western exile

Quote from: John Martin on April 12, 2010, 12:45:07 AM
Did Down not avoid defeat in their 7 league games in 2004 under POR.

They did draw a right few though and I think they went on to lose to Offaly in the final.
Correct!
Won 3, with 4 draws.

http://www.gaainfo.com/comp.php?cyear=2003&comp=nfldiv2&co=intercounty&year=2004&submit=Go

sebastion

Quote from: Dubh driocht on April 11, 2010, 05:28:37 PM
Not a great performance but a win is a win and looking forward to meeting our orange friends again.Brendan Mc Veigh had a super game- calm,sensible, 3 VG saves , no chance with goal.
Lennon did well, Daniel VG again- I think he has earned his place for the championship- Benny Mc Ardle good but not as good as Mullingar- your man Kingston is a monster and hard to mark.Colgan was superb again- a natural organiser and leader- ,Duffin got a good point while Aidan Branningan brings nothing to the party. King his usual steady self and Fitzpatrick not the finished article- we lost the midfield battle.Conor Maginn is an unsong hero and I would have him in my starting 15 - unlike Danny Hughes who (yet again) was poor.He plays one good game in three- too much of a gamble at Croke or Ballybofey. Timmy Hanna is a halfback for me and it didn't work out for him today.Marty was Marty- can one of those rich Down supporters not match whatever Collingwood are dangling ?
Benny took a big hit but looked OK, JC super, Rony Murtagh scored a wonder point and then went for his tea.Aidan Carr was the pick of the subs.
I think we will need to think about how/who to mark Ronan Clarke in the final unless James doesn't really care and is focussed on Ballybofey.I can't get my head around the result from Letterkenny- do you think Donegal threw it to avoid a meeting with us ?
I didn't see the game but, to me that result has something todo with the up and coming championship game. Now Armagh, I think they have to decide weather to take the game to Clones. I would love to get a game in Croker, although Armagh will be a different challenge this time.

mournerambler

Quote from: sebastion on April 12, 2010, 02:16:20 PM
Not a great performance but a win is a win and looking forward to meeting our orange friends again.Brendan Mc Veigh had a super game- calm,sensible, 3 VG saves , no chance with goal.
Lennon did well, Daniel VG again- I think he has earned his place for the championship- Benny Mc Ardle good but not as good as Mullingar- your man Kingston is a monster and hard to mark.Colgan was superb again- a natural organiser and leader- ,Duffin got a good point while Aidan Branningan brings nothing to the party. King his usual steady self and Fitzpatrick not the finished article- we lost the midfield battle.Conor Maginn is an unsong hero and I would have him in my starting 15 - unlike Danny Hughes who (yet again) was poor.He plays one good game in three- too much of a gamble at Croke or Ballybofey. Timmy Hanna is a halfback for me and it didn't work out for him today.Marty was Marty- can one of those rich Down supporters not match whatever Collingwood are dangling ?
Benny took a big hit but looked OK, JC super, Rony Murtagh scored a wonder point and then went for his tea.Aidan Carr was the pick of the subs.
I think we will need to think about how/who to mark Ronan Clarke in the final unless James doesn't really care and is focussed on Ballybofey.I can't get my head around the result from Letterkenny- do you think Donegal threw it to avoid a meeting with us ?
I didn't see the game but, to me that result has something todo with the up and coming championship game. Now Armagh, I think they have to decide weather to take the game to Clones. I would love to get a game in Croker, although Armagh will be a different challenge this time.
[/b][/b]

Why would they want to take the game to Clones when it's already been fixed for Croke Park?

Banana Man

I thought it was concrete that the game was for Croker  ???

DownFanatic

Quote from: dundrumite on April 11, 2010, 11:10:42 PM
Bryansford thirds beat our seconds fairly handily. 36 for thirds  :o MDG could you boys in the not to distant future be looking at a fourths team to give all your lads football?

The Ford had a pretty big Thirds panel too. Ciaran Brannigan lined out at centre half forward. Slightly cryptic.

Dannymcfella

Anyone know when the Championship draws are made??

sebastion

Quote from: mournerambler on April 12, 2010, 02:20:02 PM
Quote from: sebastion on April 12, 2010, 02:16:20 PM
[/b][/b]

Why would they want to take the game to Clones when it's already been fixed for Croke Park?
I was talking to a county official in Croke Pk on Saturday,it was him that was telling me that there could be a chance that the game could be in Clones

thegael

Seb i thinking i was talking to him literally just after you at the match and yeah he reckons clones ok.
seb you had a few things to get off your chest with him, why didnt you? you seemed to be very friendly with him.

Mid Down Gael

Bryansford thirds beat our seconds fairly handily. 36 for thirds  :o MDG could you boys in the not to distant future be looking at a fourths team to give all your lads football?

Its crazy the numbers turning out for our adult teams at the minute. The seconds played Burren yeaterday and played 19 players. A furthur 33 or 34 it was togged out for the thirds later at 7. Thats 53 players plus the top 13 and 3 other injured senior players. Looking like its gonna take a 4ths team as you say. wonderful how a bit off succcess can keep so many interested.

Dubh driocht

Not that the gael could ever be wrong but the County Chairman did say the game would be in Croke Park in his column in the match programme on Sunday.And the GAA have just confirmed it.Maybe if the gael would part with £2 for a programme he might be better informed.Or maybe he wasn't at the game ?

marsbarkid

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on April 12, 2010, 10:19:06 PM

Its crazy the numbers turning out for our adult teams at the minute. The seconds played Burren yeaterday and played 19 players. A furthur 33 or 34 it was togged out for the thirds later at 7. Thats 53 players plus the top 13 and 3 other injured senior players. Looking like its gonna take a 4ths team as you say. wonderful how a bit off succcess can keep so many interested.

Sorry MDG, slight miscalculation on my behalf, fair play to use the game was played in great spirit + i thoroughly enjoyed our 1st ever competitive reserve match (even tho we were totally destroyed!!) I think the East Down reserve sections should b based on strength next season tho, with the 9 strongest in 1 section + the weakest 9 in the other section. This would leave both sections more competitive + give the weaker teams something 2 aim for, with maybe a semi final + final in each section at the end of the season. Any takers??

Banana Man

Seen on hoganstand there that Gordon is back with the panel. Excellent news, we need everyone we can get.

Could be a good summer lads...

Long Ball

Armagh in Croker will be a real tester as to where we are- we are unlikely to get off to such a flying start as we did in the Marshes and will have a real battle on our hands for 70 minutes.
Any truth in the rumour Benny will miss the final with a rib injury?
Drive yer boot in her!!

down6061689194

EDMFL B
St pauls 4-13 Drumaness 2-5

Whole blooded tie. Any boarders at it?