Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In the Onion Bag

sebastion

Dan trained with the county on Thursday night

guevara

"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

Square Ball

Quote from: dundrumite on April 09, 2010, 10:17:21 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on April 09, 2010, 08:45:54 PM
Bredagh beat Dundrum by a point in Cherryvale, away to the pub so will report later.. It was never a penalty  >:(

I imagine that report probably won't take you too long to write

it wont, not the best game I have ever seen by a long way, some very strange refereeing decisions indeed against both sides, but a win is a win.

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

13aside

hard luck to St Malachy's Castlewellan in Croker today,they just couldn't see out the last ten minutes and get the score that would have put them ahead,but warmest congratulations to St.Colmans Newry who gave a wonderful display of football to clinch the Hogan Cup.

maldini

Quote from: sebastion on April 10, 2010, 10:09:35 AM

back for the league final
i never saw that one coming....... :P

sebastion

Quote from: 13aside on April 10, 2010, 07:21:02 PM
hard luck to St Malachy's Castlewellan in Croker today,they just couldn't see out the last ten minutes and get the score that would have put them ahead,but warmest congratulations to St.Colmans Newry who gave a wonderful display of football to clinch the Hogan Cup.
A mighty show from St Colmans ,worthy winners and commiserations to St.Malachy's,just could not get there ,and on another day could have been a different story

downredblack

Quote from: maldini on April 10, 2010, 07:24:49 PM
Quote from: sebastion on April 10, 2010, 10:09:35 AM

back for the league final
i never saw that one coming....... :P

If he is back and I hope he is , I dont think anyone would begrudge him a day out in Croke park . Dan Gordan is a class act and we need him back , it is just a waste for him not to be showing his skills in the county colours . So hopefuly the rumours that he is back training are true . A Rolls Royce of a footballer .

In the Onion Bag

Violet Hill put in an imaculate show today.  Killarney were never at the race. That fella Clarke from Bryansford was immense, as was Jermone Johnston in the 2nd half.  Cathal must be feeling righly proud.

Poor Castlewellan were always chasing their game and met their match on the day.  The O'Sullivan lad, No8, for Clonakilty is some player.  Felt sorry for Daithi O'Hanlon - he was well marked, it seemed Clonakilty had identified him as the main threat and give him no room at all. 

Still, both team's achivements auger well for the future of the County Down football.

Dubh driocht

Not a great performance but a win is a win and looking forward to meeting our orange friends again.Brendan Mc Veigh had a super game- calm,sensible, 3 VG saves , no chance with goal.
Lennon did well, Daniel VG again- I think he has earned his place for the championship- Benny Mc Ardle good but not as good as Mullingar- your man Kingston is a monster and hard to mark.Colgan was superb again- a natural organiser and leader- ,Duffin got a good point while Aidan Branningan brings nothing to the party. King his usual steady self and Fitzpatrick not the finished article- we lost the midfield battle.Conor Maginn is an unsong hero and I would have him in my starting 15 - unlike Danny Hughes who (yet again) was poor.He plays one good game in three- too much of a gamble at Croke or Ballybofey. Timmy Hanna is a halfback for me and it didn't work out for him today.Marty was Marty- can one of those rich Down supporters not match whatever Collingwood are dangling ?
Benny took a big hit but looked OK, JC super, Rony Murtagh scored a wonder point and then went for his tea.Aidan Carr was the pick of the subs.
I think we will need to think about how/who to mark Ronan Clarke in the final unless James doesn't really care and is focussed on Ballybofey.I can't get my head around the result from Letterkenny- do you think Donegal threw it to avoid a meeting with us ?

5 Sams

Whens the last time we went unbeaten in a league campaign??? Wobbs??

Great achievement by Wee James et al.....but don't forget what Winston Wolf said..
The Aristocrat Years

Mourne Rover

I think the last time we went through all seven divisional matches undefeated may have been in 1990, when we got to the final and lost narrowly to Meath. It's a indication of the progress we have made this spring when we win again, finish with 13 points out of 14, and still think we didn't play well.

Today was always going to be a slightly unusual fixture, as neither side had anything to play for and, apart from the closing stages, the exchanges were fairly low key. It was important to try out a few different faces, and it all helped to bring us close to finalising the championship line-uip.

Alder did well  in goals earlier in the league but McVeigh was excellent today with assured handling and decent kick-outs and has probably edged in front. Duffin and Lennon did reasonably well, but will almost certainly be back on the bench for Donegal, and Brannigan is probably a little further back in the queue. Colgan produced another outstanding display, while McCartan had possibly his best ever 70 minutes for Down and, despite the previous doubts, has nailed down his place. McArdle is a quality footballer but is on the small side for a full back. He will get quite a test against Ronan Clarke in the league final, and we can judge him then.

King was as strong as ever at midfield, tackled very effectively and even got forward on occasions. His pace has coped so fare, but Croke Park will tell a tale. Fitzpatrick had an off-day, but still gives us a decent option as a sub.

Marty is still developing, but scored 1-6, showed he can tackle as well, and hit the pass of the day for his brother's goal. Maginn put in another fine shift, and we usually look a better balanced team when he starts, but Hanna is not really a forward and needed the game anyway.

Murtagh started with a brilliant point from the wing, but faded away afterwards, while Benny was caught by what looked like a knee in his back and barely lasted five minutes. John Clarke won practically  every ball at full forward and took his goal clinically.

From the subs, Hughes had one of his frustrating days, Carr did not look fully match fit and Ambrose could not really get into the game. It would have been great to see big Dan or Doyle getting a run, but maybe that will happen the next day.

marsbarkid

Any results from the 1st round of the EDRFL? It was a real baptism of fire for us (Fin2nds), we were well beaten by a very strong Kilcoo3rds team, they brought a squad of 36 to Annsboro!!   :o

dodgy umpire

Quote from: marsbarkid on April 11, 2010, 10:57:44 PM
Any results from the 1st round of the EDRFL? It was a real baptism of fire for us (Fin2nds), we were well beaten by a very strong Kilcoo3rds team, they brought a squad of 36 to Annsboro!!  ::)
Bredagh 3rds beat Dromara reserves
The Boys in Red and Black are back

dundrumite

Bryansford thirds beat our seconds fairly handily. 36 for thirds  :o MDG could you boys in the not to distant future be looking at a fourths team to give all your lads football?