Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: mournerambler on February 08, 2010, 09:25:47 PM
Quote from: Trevor Hill on February 08, 2010, 08:39:19 PM
Question for anyone who was at yesterdays game. What did you think of Daniel McCartan?

I thought he wasn't great to be honest, he gave away possesion twice in the first half, didn't really look comfortable on the ball & seemed to lack the pace needed to be playing county football.
On the other hand the display from Damian Rafferty in the other corner back position was a joy to watch, he was fast, won a few in the air, hassled, got a hand in or a foot in to break down several Kildare attacks & didn't get drawn into playing fancy football in the full back line.

Yeah i thought Rafferty was outstanding. What i seen off McCartan in club football last year he is not near good enough for county level. As DD said previously he got destroyed against us. Yesterday he was not shown up as he was not isolated in full back line.

Leo

Question for anyone who was at yesterdays game. What did you think of Daniel McCartan?

If you were picking a combined 15 from the two teams he is the only one who wouldn't make it. Didn't foul as much as usual but didn't do much of anything else either. I have watched him in the county jersey before and many times for Burren and his selection now would be incomprehensible except for the family tie.

Maybe I am missing something. I accept he has grit and determination; so have I but I don't think i will get selected. (Well to be honest I am 45).

Just don't get it - but hope to be proved wrong especialliy as I support the new management who seem to have started in the right way. So I'll shut up then.
Fierce tame altogether

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Every player in red and black yesterday (including the subs) played very well, the scoreline did reflect the performance. Indeed a couple were outstanding whist one or two others had less to do. The important thing was that defended, supported, tackled and attacked as a team. Everyone contributed positively - including Dan McCartan.

For the first tme in ages there is no real need to criticize anyone. The same 15 should start against Meath on Saturday on merit when they will be up against it. Even the decent or should I say proven Down teams have a dismal record against the Royals in the past 20 years - (apart from 91 when it really counted).

And as for whether players play well for their club or not its irrelevant, some truly great club players cant cut it at county level whilst, some great county men don't give their clubs the same commitment or performance levels.

Leo

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on February 08, 2010, 06:05:05 PM
Dan apparently has lost his appetite for county football and with the committment involved. Maybe a break and time to recharge his batteries will help because in the last year we have not seen him near his best at county or club level.

With the introduction of the mark, Dan would be at his best. Too often in the past his magnificent high-fielding resulted only in being pummelled to the ground and rewarded with a free against for over-holding, the worst legacy of what Tyrone-led "swarm defence" (ie, multiple fouling) has brought to the GAA. If the new rule protects this great skill I am all for it and hopefully it will entice Dan back.
Fierce tame altogether

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on February 08, 2010, 09:49:35 PM
Quote from: mournerambler on February 08, 2010, 09:25:47 PM

I thought he wasn't great to be honest, he gave away possesion twice in the first half, didn't really look comfortable on the ball & seemed to lack the pace needed to be playing county football.
On the other hand the display from Damian Rafferty in the other corner back position was a joy to watch, he was fast, won a few in the air, hassled, got a hand in or a foot in to break down several Kildare attacks & didn't get drawn into playing fancy football in the full back line.

Yeah i thought Rafferty was outstanding. What i seen off McCartan in club football last year he is not near good enough for county level. As DD said previously he got destroyed against us. Yesterday he was not shown up as he was not isolated in full back line.

Anyone who gets isolated at county level or even club level will get roasted, thats why defensive systems are necessary. Just ask any full back however apparantly  we don't have any in Down!

down desperado

I dont think anyone wants to criticise any member of the team after such a good victory at the weekend but some posters are just highlighting a potential weakness further down the line. I think most down supporters were genuinely surprised to see dan included in the first 15. But if we keep winning James has no question to answer, on a personal level i believe we have better corner backs than dan.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: EagleLord on February 06, 2010, 06:38:22 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on February 06, 2010, 06:07:28 PM
U-21 Shamrock Cup result

Tyrone 0-9 Down 0-11.

Any more info of that?

1. Kieran Gordan
2. Malachy Magee
3. Damian Turley
4. Owen Costelloe
5. Darren OHagan
6. Anton McArdle
7. Ruairi Digney
8. Conor Poland
9. Eamon Toner
10. Paul Devlin 0-3
11. Sean Murdock 0-1
12. Barry Kane 0-2
13. Paudie Poland 0-1
14. John Connolly 0-2
15. Connaire Harrison.

Subs used:
Ben ORielly 0-1
Chris Duggan
Chris Killen 0-1
Michael Higgins

passedit

despite living off scraps throughout, two kildare forwards scored 0-5 from play between them and looked to have the better of their opposite number at least in the first half. Neither of these were being marked by Dan Mc Cartan. His man never felt the weight of it. Don't let the facts get in the way of your prejudices lads.
Don't Panic

Trevor Hill

I think Daniel McCartan is in a no win situation. Damned if he does, damned if he doesnt. I thought he had a shaky start, but settled after the first quarter and was solid enough. Although I was surprised at his inclusion it wasnt a shock. Maybe there is a bit of favouritism there but I think he justified his inclusion yesterday, though a better team may have shown weaknesses all over the field, not just with Daniel.
One thing that really gets me is that a lot of Down supporters seem to go to games to criticise their own. A few men beside us were on his case before the game even started and only stopped slagging him off when Conor Laverty came on as they had a new target. Why bother going to a game if you are only interested in highlighting the negative?
I cannot see too many changes for the Meath game.

Naomh Pol CLG

Hope Gordon has a change of heart...He is without doubt, the best fielder of a ball in the county.  We will need him come the summer!

Eartotheground

Any thoughts on Conner Maginn, oh well done to Kilcoo and Timmy Hanna for there awards at the east down nite

5 Sams

Quote from: Naomh Pol CLG on February 08, 2010, 11:56:30 PM
Hope Gordon has a change of heart...He is without doubt, the best fielder of a ball in the county.  We will need him come the summer!

Mightn't do him a button of harm to stay out for a while.....he'll be fresh come the championship and I've a feeling he'll end up with a couple of league games under his belt.
The Aristocrat Years

Maiden1

Sounds like Dan McCartan is on a hiding to nothing when the defence plays well and keep the Kildare forwards quiet and he still gets singled out, it's a bit like Micky Hartes son Mark when he was in the Tyrone panel and he was scoring 5 or 6 points a game.  One thing is for certain if he or someone else plays corner back in the next few games someone will eventually score a couple of points on him then the criticism will really start.

I was at the Kilcoo Burren match and didn't think McCartan played that badly, Kilcoo where isolating Laverty up front and leaving a big space, it's nearly impossible for a fullback to dominate in a match like that if midfield have time to pick out a pass.  Kilcoo won 12 10 and Burren missed a penalty so it wasn't like they won that easy.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

football-4-life

Is there any highlights of the game anywer?

Maiden1

Quote from: football-4-life on February 09, 2010, 10:37:31 AM
Is there any highlights of the game anywer?

Quite a bit of it was on Sunday Sport on Sunday night.

Go to

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/mediaplayer.html

Then click on programmes.

There are no proofs, only opinions.