Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander3

Great result today, but over on hoganstand, they are saying that Dan Gordon has left the squad, does anyone know if this is true and why, would be a massive blow to us just as we seem to be moving in the right direction

Town Gael

Does anyone know when thw ACPRFL starts- we normally miss a couple of national league games- is it going to be the case again this season?

bikeflyer30

I thought down had a great game today but what stood out for me was the way we handled ourselves against an Armagh style Kildare team with the bully boy tactics.

Mourne Rover

Discipline was a key issue for Down today, as every man won his individual battle with his opponent without losing control at any stage. In all honesty, a team picked from the 30 players who started would have had all 15 from our side. Benny did appear to throw an elbow at one stage, after receiving a series of heavy tackles, but the ref missed it. Kildare engaged in late tackles throughout, and repeatedly followed through on a player who passed the ball. The two guys who got a second yellow could have had few complaints, and the number two was lucky not to follow them. However, Meath will specialse in getting legitimate hits in next week, and they will not fold the way Kildare did in any circumstances.

passedit

Very pleased that down appear to be working on a defensive strategy but the jury remains out as Kildare were short most of their starting forwards. Big worry for me was Benny. His running appeared very laboured as if he was carrying an injury or too heavy a winter coat. Either way, need him fully firing come summer. Saw enough of Clarke to reckon he'll be virtually unmarkable when the hard ground arrives. 
Don't Panic

waitingforsam

Good result yesterday & a joy to watch at times. The majority of us on here seem to agree that there is no hype, its only feb & it a long hard beaten path to glory.James himself said that this was 2 points away from relegation more than anything else.

Albeit, there are reasons to be positive and hopefully we can stay up in Div 2 for another season.

Anyone know the story on Dan Gordan ? twould be a shame if he had left the panel as quoted above

looking forward to the Armagh Game in a few weeks in newry. . . . . 
Been waiting since '94

down6061689194

Big Dan trained with Island on sunday. I hear stories of injury, but more reliable stories that he fancies a break to concentrate on non footballing matters.

For a man that has done so much he can be afforded a break, but hopefully he returns for the championship.

Mid Down Gael

Dan apparently has lost his appetite for county football and with the committment involved. Maybe a break and time to recharge his batteries will help because in the last year we have not seen him near his best at county or club level.

Very impressive display yesterday and it was great to see Down supporters enjoying themselves again. Its wonderful what a freshening up can do and when the top players are selected to represent the county. 7 off the twenty men used yesterday rarely or ever featured under Ross. Damian Rafferty was immence in defence while Colgan was superb at centre half. He appears to be the number 6 we have been badly needing for some time. Ambrose had a great game while King worked his socks off and basically spoilt Dermot Earley from making any impact in midfield. In attack John Clarke was my man of the match while McComiskey caused havoc in the Kildare defence with his speed and finishing. Marty clarkes playmaking is a joy to watch while Hughes never stopped working. Laverty and Kearney also impressed coming off the bench.
Hopefully the boys can build on this. A win against Meath would leave us in a great position.

No hoper

Great to see down winning witha high score without having to rely on benny on getting them.

umpire

I am delighted to see the Down team announced last Friday night is the same one that played yesterday and we were awarded with fabulous victory.

Don't understand why any manager naming the team few days before game and starting a different selection that we had in past Down's team.

Enjoyed reading the reports of games on here especially from Mourne Rover, Trevor Hill, Mid Down Gael and few others.  Much much better reading than The Irish News.

down desperado

i wonder if james will start with the same 15 again on saturday evening or if he will make a few changes and use some of the the other lads on the panel.

Trevor Hill

Question for anyone who was at yesterdays game. What did you think of Daniel McCartan?

down desperado

i was in kerry at the wknd so i missed the game, but i seen mccartan playing for burren against kilcoo in the championship last year and he was dreadful, i was very surprised to seeing him in the starting line up, he didnt play much in the mckenna cup either.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Trevor Hill on February 08, 2010, 08:39:19 PM
Question for anyone who was at yesterdays game. What did you think of Daniel McCartan?

He done ok without ever really being tested as his man played a roving role which suited Dan. Tougher tests will lie ahead for him. I assume James will go with the same starting line up for the Meath game with Dan likely having to mark David or Stephen Bray or Cian Ward which wouldnt be easy.

mournerambler

Quote from: Trevor Hill on February 08, 2010, 08:39:19 PM

I thought he wasn't great to be honest, he gave away possesion twice in the first half, didn't really look comfortable on the ball & seemed to lack the pace needed to be playing county football.
On the other hand the display from Damian Rafferty in the other corner back position was a joy to watch, he was fast, won a few in the air, hassled, got a hand in or a foot in to break down several Kildare attacks & didn't get drawn into playing fancy football in the full back line.