Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Quote from: charlieTully on January 16, 2010, 04:06:06 PM
Quote from: dundrumite on January 15, 2010, 12:50:58 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on January 15, 2010, 12:23:42 PM
Quote from: down desperado on January 14, 2010, 06:33:12 PM
has mickey linden stepped down from drumgath?

no.

Is this his third or fourth year?
Will Dan Mc Cabe or any of the long term injuries yous had last year be back this year? With him, Mark Brannagain and James Costello back, that would be a forward lie that could cause a lot of damage.

Dan is in America, Costello plays for Glenavon and brandy has been transferred to aughlisnafinn.

This true?

5 Sams

Quote from: Tomorrow is another day on January 16, 2010, 05:18:23 PM
5 Sams - was he supporting your teams all those years? At any time?? Why does he attend?

The man would go to an Under 6 game if there was nothing else on...Ballyholland is his local club even though he hasnt been involved for years...plus the fact he's best mates with one of our trustees who never misses a game either...he goes to watch a game of football...whats with all the suspicion???
The Aristocrat Years

supersub

Anyone know how the game went?

Square Ball

Quote from: supersub on January 16, 2010, 09:02:30 PM
Anyone know how the game went?

Down won, its on the GAA discussion section
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

13aside

think the final score was 1:17 to 0:08,goal from penalty from Marty Clarke after sub Laverty had been fouled.Worthwhile run-out and a good crowd to see the first competitive fixture under the new management,one little gripe the £9 entrance fee a tad mutch-although the match programme with every squad in the McKenna cup listed and fixtures at £1 was very reasonable

Trevor Hill

In fairness £9 isnt too bad into a game. Decent programme as well and a few pints in the club afterwards.

batman

Marty Clarke will be a great addition to the team, he can give good ball to the inside forward line, played well tonight

Mourne Rover

This was a decent performance from Down, although Queen's, after a reasonable start, completely folded in the second half. However, we still have a considerable amount of work to do at the back if we are to make an impact in the summer.

Marty Clarke did well without ever fully getting into his stride. His mark early on was worth the admission alone, and he hit a series of beautiful early passes to Benny and particularly his brother, John. He only missed one free all night, finishing with 1-6, and drilled the penalty right into the bottom corner.

The other big plus was James Colgan, who won every ball at centre half and used his possession impressively with his long fisted passes. Pace was not a problem for him tonight, but there will  be more difficult opponents before long.

As for the rest, Alder looked the part in nets, with excellent handling and good length with his kick-outs. He seems to have lost quite a bit of weight, and is much the better for it.

In the corners, Toner was poor in the first half but improved as the game wore on, while Rafferty battled for everything as usual. McArdle is not really a full back, and was replaced during the break by McKernan, who was much more convincing.

Garvey was fairly strong at wing half, and kicked a fine point, although he had a couple of handling errors as well, while Parr on his debut did not make a major impact at any stage.

Ambrose, our captain for the night, was as reliable as ever, and could have a big season if he stays fit, but Greenan, his partner, seemed a bit overawed.

Poland covered a lot of ground at centre forward but looks small for a central position, while Kearney, as always, worked hard.

Benny took a couple of brilliant scores, but there is much more to come from him, while John Clarke and McComiskey had worthwhile nights.

Hughes and Fitzpatrick looked good when they came on, but Laverty, while he won the penalty, was niggling away, and got very little change out of Costello, the Bredagh player who came off the bench for Queen's.

The other Down player to feature for Queen's were Luke Byrne and Joe Ireland of Bryansford, who had their moments, during a pretty poor effort by the visiting team overall.

dundrumite

Quote from: Tomorrow is another day on January 15, 2010, 10:44:08 PM
Quote from: No1 on January 15, 2010, 04:53:41 PM
QuoteDivision 2

Ballyholland - Shane Mulholland
Annaclone - Tom Potter
Tullylish -
Shamrocks -
Clann na Banna -
Saval - Declan Morgan
Downpatrick - Kyran Smyth
Ballymartin -
Attical -
Warrenpoint - Kevin Franklin
Kilclief - John Kane
Loughinisland -

First we've heard of it DF.  Who gave you that info?

No.1 - its on the Kilclief notes on the Down website. Boy you guys are really lucky to have secured the services of that guy :-))    I remember him from Jordanstown his pass degree in consumer studies qualified him as a sports psychologist apparently haha
http://irishsportpsych.com/docs/PSYCHWORKSvol1.pdf

Tomorrow is another day I will refer you to Page 10 of this link. To be fair I would imagine it may be his masters in sports psychology+ his three years supervied experience that qualifies him as a Sports psychologist as opposed to his Consumer Studies degree. Though that is just a stab in the dark and I may be wrong  :o You might want to get your facts right before trying to make a c@ck out of  someone in future.

Tomorrow is another day

Dundrumite - you cant make chicken soup out of chicken shit. Tell me why in the edition just one year later the so called 38 approved"psycologists" have been reduced to just 10 approved Institute of Sport Psychologists? See link below

http://www.irishsportpsych.com/site/attachments/011_psychworks2009.pdf

I have a masters criminal psychology - that does not make me a psychologist. I will say no more. Lets move on..

By the way tonight Down looked excellent from midfield forward but I fear it will be worth very little if wee James cannot unearth  a quality full back and corner backs while also a centre back is also required. Will be an interesting year

dundrumite

Quote from: Tomorrow is another day on January 17, 2010, 12:51:10 AM
Dundrumite - you cant make chicken soup out of chicken shit. Tell me why in the edition just one year later the so called 38 approved"psycologists" have been reduced to just 10 approved Institute of Sport Psychologists? See link below

http://www.irishsportpsych.com/site/attachments/011_psychworks2009.pdf

I have a masters criminal psychology - that does not make me a psychologist. I will say no more. Lets move on..

By the way tonight Down looked excellent from midfield forward but I fear it will be worth very little if wee James cannot unearth  a quality full back and corner backs while also a centre back is also required. Will be an interesting year

Chicken craic, Great term.
Really can't answer the difference in the Irish Sport Psychologist definitions between "approved" and "recognised" as I don't know.Though they are two different terms and its not a drop from 38 to 10 approved as you are suggesting. A masters in Sports Psychology and the fact his name is even in a legitimate sports psychologist website, would lead him to being a lot more qualified as a Sports Psychologist than someone with a mere degree in Consumer Studies as your first post stated (followed by a smug ha ha), thats my point in a nutshell. However, as you say lets move on.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: Trevor Hill on January 16, 2010, 10:23:27 PM
In fairness £9 isnt too bad into a game. Decent programme as well and a few pints in the club afterwards.

steep for mckenna cup

dundrumite

RGU beat Bredagh by 3 in the East Down under 20 final.

dodgy umpire

Bredagh can feel hard done by due to a few refereeing decisions and the behaviour of an incompetant linesman. RGU took their chances and won a lot of breaking ball in the first half, should do well against Burren
The Boys in Red and Black are back

dundrumite

Quote from: dodgy umpire on January 17, 2010, 04:40:59 PM
Bredagh can feel hard done by due to a few refereeing decisions and the behaviour of an incompetant linesman. RGU took their chances and won a lot of breaking ball in the first half, should do well against Burren

Was he neutral?
Surely your senior team this year should be sprinkled with a fair few of these lads.