Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

down6061689194

How has Calum King been over looked. He had a good game against the best side in the county, surely worth an inclusion.

Brick Tamlin

Folks, on a completely different note, does anywhere know where i could purchase a DVD or multiple DVDs with all of Down's All Ireland Finals on it. Does such a thing exist, is there a compilation DVD of sorts. Looking it as a gift for someone for christmas and he would just love looking back through all the victories especially 60s.

thanks in advance.

Highlander3

I have to agree that some of the comments about Boyle are way over the top, i think he is still only 22.

As for the squad picked, i think that most were there, Devlin and Poland i think are still a bit light ( but will be great players in the future), i think that Down have to start having a team that has a physical presence.
Thou I would have had Sloan,Walsh and King in the squad.

I assume that Turley and Howard are currently ruled out.

But as a few posters have already said its not really about finding new players ( i don't think that there are any superstars out there that the previous managements did not try), its about getting players who can play together and about playing tactics that allow us to tighten up at the back.

dundrumite

Quote from: Highlander3 on December 06, 2009, 06:58:43 PM
I have to agree that some of the comments about Boyle are way over the top, i think he is still only 22.

As for the squad picked, i think that most were there, Devlin and Poland i think are still a bit light ( but will be great players in the future), i think that Down have to start having a team that has a physical presence.
Thou I would have had Sloan,Walsh and King in the squad.

I assume that Turley and Howard are currently ruled out.

But as a few posters have already said its not really about finding new players ( i don't think that there are any superstars out there that the previous managements did not try), its about getting players who can play together and about playing tactics that allow us to tighten up at the back.

Injured and out of the country respectively.

The Worker

Quote from: down6061689194 on December 06, 2009, 06:11:35 PM
How has Calum King been over looked. He had a good game against the best side in the county, surely worth an inclusion.

Wee James said that some players turned down the offer, maybe he was one of them?

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: The Worker on December 06, 2009, 10:44:03 PM
Quote from: down6061689194 on December 06, 2009, 06:11:35 PM

Wee James said that some players turned down the offer, maybe he was one of them?

Callum King was invited to trials and didnt bother going. He is not there because he is not interested.

When We Win

Quote from: thewobbler on December 04, 2009, 11:53:48 PM
My take on this John Boyle thing is simple. There isn't a manager worth his salt in Down football that would come up against Warrenpoint without indicating that he is the player to be watched, and to stop him getting on the ball if possible.

That means he is a cut above a club footballer. Whether that makes him a county player or not, I don't know. But some of the comments on here are ridiculous; people taking one look at his demeanor and writing him off.

I'd also say that like a lot of players who grew up playing in central positions and central positions only, he probably doesn't adjust well to the different demands of playing on the wing; not being the main man.

Wobbler hit the nail on the Head here. He is the Points danger man. Stop him you stop the point. But i watched a match where he was marked by an average defender whilst playing half back. Hardly a positive tactic but he couldnt get out of the blocks. An in todays county games half forwards are nearly bigger defenders than forwards so Boyles role would be nulified. Great Warrenpoint player, but put him into a Bridge team and he will not shine any brighter than the rest. Some players just are not made for the county panel

When We Win

In saying that, Wee James is shrewd and gave more committment on the field than just about everyone else. If he has the fire burning as a manager like when he played that will get into the Down squad and you will find this will be a successful year. They dont need to be expecting sam this year but if they knock out a couple of the tyrones, armaghs, corks along the way then they will be in prime position next year for the assult on glory. I predict big things in the next couple of seasons!!

Dangerous Person

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on December 06, 2009, 06:23:35 PM
Folks, on a completely different note, does anywhere know where i could purchase a DVD or multiple DVDs with all of Down's All Ireland Finals on it. Does such a thing exist, is there a compilation DVD of sorts. Looking it as a gift for someone for christmas and he would just love looking back through all the victories especially 60s.

thanks in advance.

You can get DVD's of the finals from the 60's in HMV in Newry. They are in the back corner of the shop and are about £15.

Brick Tamlin

Good man Dangerous. Are they all individual DVDs of each final or what?
Again thanks in advance.

Dangerous Person

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on December 07, 2009, 10:43:48 AM
Good man Dangerous. Are they all individual DVDs of each final or what?
Again thanks in advance.

Yea, it is one final per DVD. I'm pretty sure that all 5 finals are there, but if not, I think O'Neills in Newry sells them as well...

thewobbler

I see Seán Óg is having a good rant about message boards in the Irish News today.

He'd obviously much rather people went around sticking daggers in each others backs in a more discreet manner.

Jerry Quinn went on a similar rant at convention a few years ago before he got ousted. I've defended the county board continually on this forum, but their fear of GAA people talking GAA has crossed paranoia. There are more than a few clubs in this county quite reliant on this and other public message boards to find out the who, what, where and when of Down GAA. Yes there's bullsh1t and slander among the good stuff, but it's a price worth paying.

No1

Good man wobbler.  Does this signal the start of your long overdue return from the Dark Side?   ;D

DownFanatic

Quote from: thewobbler on December 08, 2009, 10:19:15 AM
I see Seán Óg is having a good rant about message boards in the Irish News today.

He'd obviously much rather people went around sticking daggers in each others backs in a more discreet manner.

Jerry Quinn went on a similar rant at convention a few years ago before he got ousted. I've defended the county board continually on this forum, but their fear of GAA people talking GAA has crossed paranoia. There are more than a few clubs in this county quite reliant on this and other public message boards to find out the who, what, where and when of Down GAA. Yes there's bullsh1t and slander among the good stuff, but it's a price worth paying.

GAA Board is usually first for fixtures, results and league tables. The amount of people I know that use this site as a resource compared to our county website is frightening.

6th sam

Quote from: thewobbler on December 08, 2009, 10:19:15 AM

Wobbler,Your comments tend to be insightful,honest and fair,regrettably that is not the case with all posters on this site,and therein lies the danger.Though the vast majority of posters use this site as a forum for news ,results,fixtures,and debate,a limited number use it to pedal factually incorrect,slanderous or vindictive nonsense.Before the advent of the internet this nonsense was usually reserved for the local pub,and  the comments were forgotten about very quickly.On these sites however,comments are there for all to read and are  recorded and reproduceable.Seán Óg among others has been the subject of unfair comments,and has every right to question the validity and usefulness of sites which bring pubtalk to a new level.Pubtalk is usually fuelled by drink and is not anonymous,Discussion boards on the other hand can be more calculated,and are protected by a shroud of anonymity.This anonymity can create even more difficulty,in that readers can make an inaccurate assumption about the identity or club affiliation of a poster,therefore feeding conflict or paranoia.
However,these sites are likely here to stay,and those that find them useful for information etc,should protect them,by challenging unfair personalised comments and reporting them to the moderator.
I disagree that slander should be tolerated AT ANY PRICE.