Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eartotheground

sorry gurvara...have to back the boys on that point as well

guevara

Quote from: Leo on December 04, 2009, 02:56:42 PM
Quote from: guevara on December 04, 2009, 01:37:51 PM

Leo you obviously do have issues with John.........
You musn't have watched the games too closely as if you had you wouldve realised he is good enough to be on the county. He leads the way for his club for such a young fella & I for one would argue he is a lot better than some of the guys on it!
Even in the games he was selected for Down last year I thought he did well unlike other guys picked again this year.

So why dont you just come out & tell us all the real reason you wouldnt have him on it??  ;D

I never said I have no issues with Boyle - I said I have no PERSONAL issue and why should I as I don't know him from Adam.

If however you feel I haven't told you the real reason then let me spell it out a bit more clearly...

No vision, easily dispossessed, fouls every time he tries to tackle (that is if he gets near enough his man) - in effect no tackle, incapable of a foot pass, totally negative, plays across the field or behind, lots of energy spent getting nowhere, as brainless as Murtagh, unable to field a ball at any height, dependent on a colleague's pass for possession .... in short NOT a gaelic footballer.

If watching games and forming an opinion based on these games means I am not allowed to give that opinion - well, I guess you have me there.
sEN

You musn't have watched the games too closely as if you had you wouldve realised he is good enough to be on the county. He leads the way for his club for such a young fella & I for one would argue he is a lot better than some of the guys on it!
Even in the games he was selected for Down last year I thought he did well unlike other guys picked again this year.

So why dont you just come out & tell us all the real reason you wouldnt have him on it??  ;D

I never said I have no issues with Boyle - I said I have no PERSONAL issue and why should I as I don't know him from Adam.

If however you feel I haven't told you the real reason then let me spell it out a bit more clearly...

No vision, easily dispossessed, fouls every time he tries to tackle (that is if he gets near enough his man) - in effect no tackle, incapable of a foot pass, totally negative, plays across the field or behind, lots of energy spent getting nowhere, as brainless as Murtagh, unable to field a ball at any height, dependent on a colleague's pass for possession .... in short NOT a gaelic footballer.

If watching games and forming an opinion based on these games means I am not allowed to give that opinion - well, I guess you have me there.

You are all entitled to your opinion boys.......after all thats what a forums all about!
But ask any of the better footballers in the County who have played against him if they rate him? Hes one of the best passers of a ball around! Negative? he probably scored on a more regular basis from half back than some clubs forwards this year!
Not a Gaelic Footballer???.....a Sigerson medal would suggest otherwise as would representing his Count at Minor, U-21 & Senior level!
Ive seen him more this year than most of you & In my opinion he is better than a lot on that panel
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

dundrumite

Agree with Guevara. I rate John Boyle, seen him play at close hand quite a bit. His vision and passing ability is top notch. To claim a sigerson winner, Down minor captain, Under 21 and Senior having being started teams under managers such as Mickey Moran, Ray Morgan, Adrian Mc Guckain, Pete Mc Grath and Ross Carr is NOT a Gaelic footballer is crazy. No harm to you Leo but I would say all them men combined might have a better knowledge of Gaelic football than yourself.

Maiden1

Don't agree with getting personal with a player on this forum, they are all amateur players who give there all.  For all we know John reads this forum.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

downredblack

Not seeing any club football you  boys would know him better than I would but what I saw of him I thought he did ok . but he did come in for some heavy criticisms last year and now again this year and he's not even on the panel . Many a lad has tried their hand at county level and not made it but had the steelers to give it a go . I don't know why some players get singled out for harsher treatment on here than others but definitely some of the comments made about John Boyle have been uncalled for . James said some players declined the offer to join the panel , who could blame them If they took a look on here and see what sort of abuse they could get for their efforts .

Eartotheground

I'd just like to point out that when i said i agreed with leo and the boys it was on the part that at prescent i don't think john is good enough for the county i do not agree with all that leo said regarding the mans game

norabeag

See The Hoops got their third win on the trot tonight in the U 20s with a comprehensive victory over St Marys having already accounted for Bryansford & Castlewellan.

Square Ball

Quote from: norabeag on December 04, 2009, 10:49:43 PM
See The Hoops got their third win on the trot tonight in the U 20s with a comprehensive victory over St Marys having already accounted for Bryansford & Castlewellan.

Doing well, were the 2 St Johns boys playing for St Marys?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Brick Tamlin

Leo, also if you would just clarify something for me. Please explain exactly what you meant when you refer to Boyle being as "Brainless as murtagh"
Im sure you have a sound explanation for that one.
Take as long as you need to enlighten us.

norabeag

Quote from: Square Ball on December 04, 2009, 10:54:50 PM
Quote from: norabeag on December 04, 2009, 10:49:43 PM

Doing well, were the 2 St Johns boys playing for St Marys?
Not too sure but they have a big squad and some handy players but Not a bad Hoops side

5 Sams

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on December 04, 2009, 10:59:11 PM
Leo, also if you would just clarify something for me. Please explain exactly what you meant when you refer to Boyle being as "Brainless as murtagh"

Hardly worth getting excited about this boyo Brick....he's obviously one of these guys who go to watch Down in the championship....and sin e....
The Aristocrat Years

norabeag

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 04, 2009, 11:12:52 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on December 04, 2009, 10:59:11 PM

Hardly worth getting excited about this boyo Brick....he's obviously one of these guys who go to watch Down in the championship....and sin e....
Time to move on from this personal shite.

Brick Tamlin

maybe so but id really love to hear his rationale for that comment, should be interesting.

thewobbler

My take on this John Boyle thing is simple. There isn't a manager worth his salt in Down football that would come up against Warrenpoint without indicating that he is the player to be watched, and to stop him getting on the ball if possible.

That means he is a cut above a club footballer. Whether that makes him a county player or not, I don't know. But some of the comments on here are ridiculous; people taking one look at his demeanor and writing him off.

I'd also say that like a lot of players who grew up playing in central positions and central positions only, he probably doesn't adjust well to the different demands of playing on the wing; not being the main man.

Mourne Rover

Spot on Wobbler. Boyle is a fine club player who may or may not make the cut at county level. It is likely that he is a little short of pace, like many others, but he should not be judged harshly as an individual. We need to build from the back, as good teams do, and it is going to take a while.,