Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When We Win

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on October 29, 2009, 06:56:54 PM
Quote from: Maiden1 on October 29, 2009, 04:47:21 PM
Quote from: islandboy on October 29, 2009, 01:57:10 PM
yeah i just heard the liatroin/saval game is fixed for the same day but they are refusing to play. at this time of the year its a disaster. it all may end up with none of the three teams being relegated- which would suit us obviously

That's bollox, I don't agree with this new thing where teams look through the rule books for any technicality to avoid the playoffs, if a mistake is made in good faith (e.g. in this case the ref did not know to play extra time) then the teams involved should come to an agreement and just replay the matches.  This could drag on for months now if this ends up going to court.  I think there should be a rule in the county where if there is any ambiguity about a rule then a committee comes to a decision and that is the end of it.  Drumgath a couple of years back avoiding the relegation playoffs on a technicality, and there has been a few county footballers get off from a suspension because the ref had the wrong colour pen (I made that bit up), I know it is important to the teams involved but it is still a game of football.

Very well said. And in reality these teams are always close to relegation especially Liatroim who hang on by skin off their teeth every year. So all 3 teams should get on with it starting on sunday and forget about mistakes and technacalitys.

personally i tell myself yeah get on with it and play the games. But then i think about it this way. Why should we just get on with it? This system has been aired for a long time, in this time the system should have been checked and fixed if broken. It was broken, someone overlooked their job and now we have a fiasco. these playoffs have serious consequences. if the county board are not taking them serious then the deserve to be backed into a corner and have the teams calling the shots because damn sure there are 6 teams taking these games as serious as an all ireland final. If the league intentions are jeprodised then thats tough luck. I know it only a game of football but even so its an organisation which people invest heavily in, personal time, sponsors money, etc so at the very least for them it deserves to be taken serious. If it was a business this mistake would not have happened. The playoffs are one of thee most important parts of the season and the most important to 6 teams. As i say if it was a business a heads would roll and a point of law would be called on. So thats how it should be for the county board. It doesnt happen in other counties because they treat their positions with respect. You wouldnt have a doctor operating with a spoon, or a quantity surveyor guessing blocks from a artistic photo graph. Maiden you call it a technacality, well a bloody big one if two ref's got it wrong. A technicality maybe if it was one ref, but a bloody royal balls up in this case. if all games ended a draw i doubt any extra time would have been played. Im not just blaming the county board here now. If i was a ref i think i would have checked what the implications would be if the game ended a draw. Stupid fools. the lot of the are as useful as tits on bull. I would hope we all agree.

DuffleKing

Jesus, Pete is doing some crying. really embarrassing for the fella at this stage. i thought he had a bit more dignity.

mournerambler

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 29, 2009, 11:37:20 PM

Jesus, Pete is doing some crying. really embarrassing for the fella at this stage. i thought he had a bit more dignity.

Hellooooooo, were have you been Duffleking, did anyone tell you Elvis is dead ;)

Pangurban

To add too Mourne Ramblers list
                                          Leo Murphy
                                          Pat o Hagan
                                          John Smith

Out in Front

Quote from: norabeag on October 29, 2009, 02:38:36 PM
I thought I read earlier in the thread that the BHolland /An Riocht game is down for Thursday 12th.
I see Good Ole Matt in the Irish News has been doing a preview for it as if it is on tonight
He's getting worse. His ramblings in the Recorder are shocking

In fairness to Matt he wasn't aware the match had been cancelled and went ahead with his preview. We had a preview of the game set on a page which had to be pulled late Tuesday afternoon when we found out, through this board, that the game had been put back to November 12.

We only got 'official' word at 3.19pm on Thursday afternoon. 

Lecale2

Add Brendan Sloan to that list MR.

I wonder will Matt publish a match report on the Div 2 Final in the IN today?

Leo

Quote from: mournerambler on October 29, 2009, 11:05:09 PM
Was just thinking of all those who have won All-Irelands with the county & not got the same amount of 'fame' that others have, we've all read so much & rightly so about the Paddy Mo's, Sean O'Neills, Greg Blaney's & Micky Linden's etc over the years, now it's time to pick those who havn't been talked of as much as the others.
Here's my selection

1.Eddie McKay
2.George Lavery
3.Brian Burns
4.Pat Rice
5.Eamon Burns
6.Willie Doyle
7.Kevin O'Neill
8.Barry Breen
9.Jarleth Carey
10.Ross Carr
11.James McCartan (snr)
12.Gary Mason
13.Tony Hadden
14.Peter Withnell
15.Breen Morgan

Can't quite get my head around what criteria you are applying to selection but if you mention Sean O'Neill & Paddy Mo as two "greats" who founf fame, then surely the only other 3-medals man, the immense Dan McCartan, should get a mention.
As for Ross Carr he has certainly generated enough publicity for himself of the "more heat than light" variety!!!
And where does the might Tom O'Hare fit - or Tommy McGovern?
Fierce tame altogether

Tomorrow is another day

CCC decisions following meeting on Wed 28th
ACFL Div 3 League Final
Fri Nov 6th Pairc Esler 7 00
Tulylish v Drumgath/Glenn(E O Hare)
ACFL Division 1 Relegation PlayOff
Fri Nov 6th  Pairc Esler 8 30
Liatroim v Saval(G Corrigan)
Sunday Nov 8th
Rostrevor 2 00
Shamrocks v Glasdrumman(G Tumelty)
ACFL Div 2 Final
Thurs Nov 12th Pairc Esler 7 30
An Riocht v Ballyholland(D Moore)

EXTRA TIME OF 10 Mins EACH WAY WILL BE PLAYED IN THE EVENT OF A DRAW IN ANY OF ABOVE GAMES

Long Ball

Was just thinking of all those who have won All-Irelands with the county & not got the same amount of 'fame' that others have, we've all read so much & rightly so about the Paddy Mo's, Sean O'Neills, Greg Blaney's & Micky Linden's etc over the years, now it's time to pick those who havn't been talked of as much as the others.
Here's my selection

1.Eddie McKay
2.George Lavery
3.Brian Burns
4.Pat Rice
5.Eamon Burns
6.Willie Doyle
7.Kevin O'Neill
8.Barry Breen
9.Jarleth Carey
10.Ross Carr
11.James McCartan (snr)
12.Gary Mason
13.Tony Hadden
14.Peter Withnell
15.Breen Morgan
I know where you are coming from but I'm not sure how you included James McCartan Snr and Pat Rice in there Mourne- I reckon these two men are very well celebrated. Big Pat played for Castlewellan, Down, Ulster and Ireland winning 2 All-Irelands, 2 National Leagues, 3 Ulster Titles, 2 Railway Cups and Down senior league and championships. Maybe it's because he was humble and never courted publicity that he has been included on your list
Drive yer boot in her!!

maldini

John Kelly

Brendan McKiernan

Leo

Quote from: maldini on October 30, 2009, 11:13:54 AM
John Kelly

Brendan Loughran

This contribution is clearly from junior infants.
Having said that I inadvertently mentioned Tommy McGovern earlier, having failed to make the "All-Ireland" connection.
Fierce tame altogether

orangeman

Quote from: CĂșig huaire on October 29, 2009, 03:44:53 PM
According to todays Irish News, Ballyholland play An Riocht tonight. I wonder will they send a reporter to cover the game?  ::)
Its not like they dont read this board.

Who won last night ?

norabeag

Quote from: orangeman on October 30, 2009, 02:05:47 PM
Quote from: CĂșig huaire on October 29, 2009, 03:44:53 PM
According to todays Irish News, Ballyholland play An Riocht tonight. I wonder will they send a reporter to cover the game?  ::)
Its not like they dont read this board.

Who won last night ?
Confusion won

Tomorrow is another day

An Riocht won by virtue of them being expected to win.

National newspapers were covering the event to get a photo of Marty Clarke in action and lifting the trophy so to facilitate this and get some good PR for a while the County Board arranged a sham game. An Riocht duly defeated a Shamrocks U-14 team (who were training at the time) dressed up in Ballyholland look a like jerseys provided by Sean Og, and presented the trophy after 5 minutes of action to the great satisfaction of everyone in the world.

maldini

Quote from: Long Ball on October 30, 2009, 10:12:28 AM
Here's my selection

1.Eddie McKay
2.George Lavery
3.Brian Burns
4.Pat Rice
5.Eamon Burns
6.Willie Doyle
7.Kevin O'Neill
8.Barry Breen
9.Jarleth Carey
10.Ross Carr
11.James McCartan (snr)
12.Gary Mason
13.Tony Hadden
14.Peter Withnell
15.Breen Morgan

Quote from: Leo on October 30, 2009, 01:44:10 PM
Quote from: maldini on October 30, 2009, 11:13:54 AM
John Kelly

Brendan McKiernan

This contribution is clearly from junior infants.

how??
do they not satisfy the criteria of having all ireland winners medals and not having the same amount of fame as others, as was the intial question posed??