Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Island

Quote from: Minus15 on October 27, 2009, 06:42:11 PM
Quote from: Maiden1 on October 27, 2009, 03:25:50 PM
Quote from: Blue Island on October 27, 2009, 01:17:26 PM
Quote from: umpire on October 25, 2009, 05:57:05 PM

In the event of any of the Play-off games for promotion or relegation ending in a draw, extra time of ten minutes each way will be played.

Just checked this quote from umpire outlining the rules and it does appear that a right royal balls up has occurred. Not that at particularly causes us bother, (apart from the usual interminable time the playoffs take)  but I would be somewhat annoyed if I was from Saval or Liatroim.

But it is a round robin format, not knock out like the championship so a draw is a valid result.  It is 1 point each for both teams in the mini league.

Except that it's not a valid result because the rules stated that there should have been extra time played. Hence the same fixtures going ahead again this week. Complete balls up. I wonder was there anyone from either of the 4 clubs involved knew it should have been extra time?

Apparently Saval and Liatroim knew and said to the ref, who had not been told anything. I know it is not easy to run the leagues but a relegation play off game is pretty important affair and as important, if not more so than a championship match, yet no one of authority was at the match from the county board. The ref was by himself and the umpires were from the respective clubs and there was a very hotly disputed point at one stage. Not only did this occur in division one but it also happened in the division two relegation playoff. The refs were not told anything about the playoff rules.

If you recall the Drumgath affair a couple of years ago, well it looks like the same may just have occurred, in divsion one and two. Que chaos and possible visits to the DRD.

6th sam

Quote from: Blue Island on October 27, 2009, 10:46:42 PM

In the event of any of the Play-off games for promotion or relegation ending in a draw, extra time of ten minutes each way will be played.

Just checked this quote from umpire outlining the rules and it does appear that a right royal balls up has occurred. Not that at particularly causes us bother, (apart from the usual interminable time the playoffs take)  but I would be somewhat annoyed if I was from Saval or Liatroim.

But it is a round robin format, not knock out like the championship so a draw is a valid result.  It is 1 point each for both teams in the mini league.

Except that it's not a valid result because the rules stated that there should have been extra time played. Hence the same fixtures going ahead again this week. Complete balls up. I wonder was there anyone from either of the 4 clubs involved knew it should have been extra time?

Apparently Saval and Liatroim knew and said to the ref, who had not been told anything. I know it is not easy to run the leagues but a relegation play off game is pretty important affair and as important, if not more so than a championship match, yet no one of authority was at the match from the county board. The ref was by himself and the umpires were from the respective clubs and there was a very hotly disputed point at one stage. Not only did this occur in division one but it also happened in the division two relegation playoff. The refs were not told anything about the playoff rules.
If you recall the Drumgath affair a couple of years ago, well it looks like the same may just have occurred, in divsion one and two. Que chaos and possible visits to the DRD.

This is a playoff match.Referees are appointed and paid to do a job.Then they allegedly arrive at the match with no umpires,and don't know the rules regarding playoffs????

If the match is "more important than a championship match",surely the referees and clubs should be prepared and familiarise themselves with the rules.

I attended underage matches this year,when the ref brought their own umpires.Yet for a playoff ,which has massive implications for any club,referees don't bring their own umpires???

andunabu

Quote from: Blue Island on October 27, 2009, 10:46:42 PM

Not just that incident.  What about the Bosco last year?? There was no replay there and they got relegated to division 4 on points difference.  Could somebody please take the lead and sort this out?  IMHO a league should be won or lost and teams should be relegated at the end of the respective league campaigns.

Minus15

It's a disaster at this point. If either of the 4 teams involved decide to take it further the whole league restructuring process could be thrown into chaos. Let's hope they just get on with it and it doesn't come to that but they should not be in this position.

CHB1

Pete McGrath has resigned from the Down Under 21 job. no big surprise really.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: CHB1 on October 28, 2009, 09:45:49 AM
Pete McGrath has resigned from the Down Under 21 job. no big surprise really.

it is dragging out a bit now Pete...

spiritof91and94

Quote from: mournerambler on October 27, 2009, 10:27:55 PM
Quote from: spiritof91and94 on October 16, 2009, 04:02:41 PM
Quote from: When We Win on October 16, 2009, 09:53:26 AM
Quote from: mournerambler on October 15, 2009, 09:39:49 PM
Quote from: spiritof91and94 on October 15, 2009, 01:00:08 PM
Down County Board have received planning permission on the proposed new home of Bryansford GAC.
This will be interesting.

Are you sure about that spirit, I thought it still had to go to the next council meeting?

Yeah, I think the groups decision has to be ratified by the council meeting but either way its looking like they are going to have a bloody nice set up in a couple of years.

Council should be a formality as there is no objections on file and all the stumbling blocks have been overcome ;D

If this weeks Mourne Observer is anything to go by, it would appear that Mr Wells & Mr Poots have other ideas on this, which to be honest is out & out bigotry of the highest order & they need to be exposed in every possible way for the bigots that they are.

Get the Down Recorder - Wells said at Council that people were scared to come forward in objection to this scheme because Sinn Fein would have got them knee capped! ffs..
I dont think we have heard the last of this one - Mr Nolan may be interested.....

goldenyears

PETE MCGRATH has quit his post as the Down U21 football manager as a result of being overlooked for the senior job which was given to James McCartan.

McGrath was regarded as the frontrunner to succeed Ross Carr in the Mourne county hotseat, but Down officials sprung a shock when they opted for ex-county ace James McCartan.

Apart from the disappointment of not being chosen, the Rostrevor man, who steered Down to two All-Ireland senior titles, was also annoyed by some of the questions posed by the selection committee.

He has stated that one of the panellists asked him whether he still possessed the necessary level of passion, drive and enthusiasm to manage at senior inter-county level.

"It goes against my nature to decline any offer to manage a Down team," said McGrath, who in his recent U21 managerial stint steered his native county to two Ulster titles and this year's All-Ireland final against Cork.

"But given all that had happened with regard to the position of Down senior manager, I felt I had no option but to walk away in order to keep my self-esteem and honour intact.

"There has been too much personal hurt, pain, suffering and baggage for me to continue as manager of the county U21 team.

"Obviously the decision of the Down board with regard to the senior team manager showed there was no genuine appreciation and recognition for what I had achieved with the U21 team."

McGrath revealed that Down secretary Sean Og McAteer called to his house to ask if he would soldier on for another 12 months with the U21s.

"The county secretary called unannounced to my house, and I received him amicably as you can't turn people away from your house," he explained.

"I suppose we talked for about 15 to 20 minutes, and then he said he would give me some time to make up my mind about the situation.

"I had decided in advance that I would almost certainly step down, but out of courtesy I tossed the issue around in my mind for some time.

"However, it would have taken a considerable lot for me to change my mind, and a few days ago I phoned the county secretary and informed him that I wouldn't be continuing as U21 manager.

"I doubt if that came as much of a shock to the county board as I think they would have had a fair idea of my feelings on the matter."

Despite his unpleasant experience, McGrath has not lost hope of managing at senior inter-county level at some future stage.

Recently, he was in pole position for the Louth post until he decided that it would be impossible to combine that role with his involvement with Down club Bryansford.

"I had already committed myself to Bryansford for 2010 when the Louth manager vacancy came up," explained McGrath, whose charges face Mayobridge in the Down ACL Division One final at Newry on Friday night (7.30pm).

Doogie Browser

No surprise Pete quitting, he had to maintain his credibility.

norabeag

He'll lose any credibility he has left by going to the papers evry turnaround.
A mistake was made in how things were handled not in the actual appointment.
Lets move on

5 Sams

I see the Co Chairman didnt exactly endorse the decision of the appointment committee in today's Irish News....sorry I cant post the article....
The Aristocrat Years

5 Sams

Quote from: fairplay on October 28, 2009, 03:45:41 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on October 28, 2009, 03:15:17 PM
I see the Co Chairman didnt exactly endorse the decision of the appointment committee in today's Irish News....sorry I cant post the article....
Was he not part of the selection process?

Not according to Heaney's article today.
The Aristocrat Years

Leo

Quote from: norabeag on October 28, 2009, 02:48:45 PM
Lets move on

Have to agree 100% with this.
While apprec iating Pete's contribution to the game in Down - colleges, club, minor, U21 and two wonderful Sams - he has to accept his time has come and gone.
If a member of the selection panel showed a lack of respect and tact, which Pete took personally, that's life and the whole county board is no more to blame for it than the entire county itself.
Fierce tame altogether

T O Hare

Quote from: Leo on October 28, 2009, 05:23:49 PM
Quote from: norabeag on October 28, 2009, 02:48:45 PM
Lets move on

Have to agree 100% with this.
While apprec iating Pete's contribution to the game in Down - colleges, club, minor, U21 and two wonderful Sams - he has to accept his time has come and gone.
If a member of the selection panel showed a lack of respect and tact, which Pete took personally, that's life and the whole county board is no more to blame for it than the entire county itself.

I totally disagree with that!!! If his time had come and gone he would not have won back to back ulster titles!!!! Pete McGrath has done a lot of this county and he is still a realtively young man who has a lot more to offer the football world!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

thegael

Would you all wise up Peter is acting like a child I am surprised the Irish News gave him airtime!
The fella has lost all crtedibility and is running around like a sulking child , please could we all forget about this fella and move on.
He has lost the plot please someone advise him to grow up and live in the real world.

the gael takes no prisoners!