Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

conormac

I think some people on here are being very unfair to the An Riocht club.  And to be calling them hoors is darnright stupid.  It is the county boards fault not An Riocht's that this game is not being played at the weekend.  If they had of done what they were supposed to do and make a phonecall(4 days notice) to tell Ballyholland that the game was scheduled for Thurseday then there would be non of this slagging going on.  I thought it was common knowledge that the game was scheduled for Thursday even before the semi-final was played- obviously not as most posters seem to know nothing about it.  Too be honest personally as an An Riocht man i didn't think it was fair to play the game so soon after the semi - but again not An Riochts fault but the county boards.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: 6th sam on October 27, 2009, 12:04:15 AM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on October 26, 2009, 06:29:04 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 26, 2009, 08:44:54 AM
I'm with you on this one Spirit. If a week isn't enough recuperation time between games, then our sport is far too tough.

Well your neighbours Mayobridge in last decade always got their league fixtures put back when competing in Ulster. I remember waiting 11 weeks the year they last got to the final to face them in a league playoff. Why should the bridge get time to prepare and not Kilcoo? We won a county title on merit and should have the backing and support from county board and its fixture makers just like the bridge got courtesy off their own Sean Rooney. Typical south down bias towards an east down club. Our players couldn go fully committed on friday night with fear off recieving an injury with little time to recover or maybe getting the line say for a late challange on a night where the elements where not ideal for football. There is stil the whole off November to play the league, like we had to play in late November last years final as a result off waiting on the Bridges ulster campaign. All we wanted was consistency. But fair play to Bryansford on the night, they fully deserved their victory.

Very fair points MDG-only 1 way to answer them-beat St Eunans

What elements are you on about - the night was mild and pitch a dream to play on. Maybe them grapes are for sale in Kilcoo..... ;D

thewobbler

QuoteYour dismissal of Kilcoo's league semi-final fixture versus your reasonable complaint about Ballyholland's Thursday final,is ironic
It's not at all. Kilcoo were always going to have over a full week to plan for a scheduled match, on a Sunday, when players don't tend to work. Ballyholland on the other hand were given 4 days notice about a match to be played on a Tursday evening. There is a big difference between those two scenarios.

5 Sams

Quote from: conormac on October 27, 2009, 01:34:39 AM
I think some people on here are being very unfair to the An Riocht club.  And to be calling them hoors is darnright stupid.  It is the county boards fault not An Riocht's that this game is not being played at the weekend.  If they had of done what they were supposed to do and make a phonecall(4 days notice) to tell Ballyholland that the game was scheduled for Thurseday then there would be non of this slagging going on.  I thought it was common knowledge that the game was scheduled for Thursday even before the semi-final was played- obviously not as most posters seem to know nothing about it.  Too be honest personally as an An Riocht man i didn't think it was fair to play the game so soon after the semi - but again not An Riochts fault but the county boards.

Don't be at it now Conor...you know that remark was tongue in cheek and no slight meant at An Ríocht.
The Aristocrat Years

amallon

MDG - I don't think we got any special treatment from Sean Rooney in his two years as fixtures sec.  In 07 we played a league semi-final against An Riocht 4 days after the county final and played in Ulster Sunday week later.

Last year we played the county final, the following Sunday we played Clonduff in a derby game and they following Sunday we played in Ulster.

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on October 27, 2009, 09:01:03 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on October 27, 2009, 12:04:15 AM
I'm with you on this one Spirit. If a week isn't enough recuperation time between games, then our sport is far too tough.

Well your neighbours Mayobridge in last decade always got their league fixtures put back when competing in Ulster. I remember waiting 11 weeks the year they last got to the final to face them in a league playoff. Why should the bridge get time to prepare and not Kilcoo? We won a county title on merit and should have the backing and support from county board and its fixture makers just like the bridge got courtesy off their own Sean Rooney. Typical south down bias towards an east down club. Our players couldn go fully committed on friday night with fear off recieving an injury with little time to recover or maybe getting the line say for a late challange on a night where the elements where not ideal for football. There is stil the whole off November to play the league, like we had to play in late November last years final as a result off waiting on the Bridges ulster campaign. All we wanted was consistency. But fair play to Bryansford on the night, they fully deserved their victory.

Very fair points MDG-only 1 way to answer them-beat St Eunans

What elements are you on about - the night was mild and pitch a dream to play on. Maybe them grapes are for sale in Kilcoo..... ;D

eh the shower off rain at end off first half resulting in a slippy surface. If you cared to read my last sentance and a previous post regarding the game you will see i said Bryansford fully deserved their victory. So no sour grapes involved and with a championship tucked away and an ulster club game in sunday why would i be sour. Also we have collected two league titles in recent years so when the ford match that you can let me know. I rate Bryansford as a very impressive side and im sure you would swap places with us at this minute.

Blue Island

Are Liatroim and Saval being asked to play again this Sunday, because someone forgot to tell the ref to play extra time?

Blue Island

Quote from: umpire on October 25, 2009, 05:57:05 PM

In the event of any of the Play-off games for promotion or relegation ending in a draw, extra time of ten minutes each way will be played.

Just checked this quote from umpire outlining the rules and it does appear that a right royal balls up has occurred. Not that at particularly causes us bother, (apart from the usual interminable time the playoffs take)  but I would be somewhat annoyed if I was from Saval or Liatroim.

T O Hare

I think your unfair in singling out Sean Rooney, this man has the hardest job in the county and he a fair and totally honest administrator!!!! In my eyes,a game against Byransford ten days before your Ulster club match in Pairc Esler is a perfect warm up!!!! The Ford would be very similar in terms of physicality to St Eunans!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Maiden1

Quote from: Blue Island on October 27, 2009, 01:17:26 PM

In the event of any of the Play-off games for promotion or relegation ending in a draw, extra time of ten minutes each way will be played.

Just checked this quote from umpire outlining the rules and it does appear that a right royal balls up has occurred. Not that at particularly causes us bother, (apart from the usual interminable time the playoffs take)  but I would be somewhat annoyed if I was from Saval or Liatroim.

But it is a round robin format, not knock out like the championship so a draw is a valid result.  It is 1 point each for both teams in the mini league.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

6th sam

Quote from: T O Hare on October 27, 2009, 01:49:28 PM

I think your unfair in singling out Sean Rooney, this man has the hardest job in the county and he a fair and totally honest administrator!!!! In my eyes,a game against Byransford ten days before your Ulster club match in Pairc Esler is a perfect warm up!!!! The Ford would be very similar in terms of physicality to St Eunans!!!

Would agree with this statement,Sean has a complicated ,impossible task and is always honest.The problem is not Sean but the system.It's incredible the amount of debate that goes on about fixtures at this time of year.If we all accepted the principle of a rigid fixture list after September,we might actually end up talking about football next September/October rather than fixture/playoff conundrums.

5 Sams

Quote from: 6th sam on October 27, 2009, 04:41:50 PM
Quote from: T O Hare on October 27, 2009, 01:49:28 PM

Would agree with this statement,Sean has a complicated ,impossible task and is always honest.The problem is not Sean but the system.It's incredible the amount of debate that goes on about fixtures at this time of year.If we all accepted the principle of a rigid fixture list after September,we might actually end up talking about football next September/October rather than fixture/playoff conundrums.

Here's me thinking he was only straight with us cos he's married to a Ballyholland woman :P

Seriously though I wouldnt have his job for all the tea in China....he tries to be fair and honest with everyone.....I have spoken to him off the record a few times about different matters and there is no bias whatsoever with him......don't forget that he's only part of a committee...its not his decision.
The Aristocrat Years

Minus15

Quote from: Maiden1 on October 27, 2009, 03:25:50 PM

But it is a round robin format, not knock out like the championship so a draw is a valid result.  It is 1 point each for both teams in the mini league.

Except that it's not a valid result because the rules stated that there should have been extra time played. Hence the same fixtures going ahead again this week. Complete balls up. I wonder was there anyone from either of the 4 clubs involved knew it should have been extra time?

Maiden1

Quote from: Minus15 on October 27, 2009, 06:42:11 PM
Quote from: Maiden1 on October 27, 2009, 03:25:50 PM

Except that it's not a valid result because the rules stated that there should have been extra time played. Hence the same fixtures going ahead again this week. Complete balls up. I wonder was there anyone from either of the 4 clubs involved knew it should have been extra time?

Interesting.  I don't see the need to do this when it is a league format but there you go.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

mournerambler

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on October 16, 2009, 04:02:41 PM
Quote from: When We Win on October 16, 2009, 09:53:26 AM
Quote from: mournerambler on October 15, 2009, 09:39:49 PM
Quote from: spiritof91and94 on October 15, 2009, 01:00:08 PM
Down County Board have received planning permission on the proposed new home of Bryansford GAC.
This will be interesting.

Are you sure about that spirit, I thought it still had to go to the next council meeting?

Yeah, I think the groups decision has to be ratified by the council meeting but either way its looking like they are going to have a bloody nice set up in a couple of years.

Council should be a formality as there is no objections on file and all the stumbling blocks have been overcome ;D

If this weeks Mourne Observer is anything to go by, it would appear that Mr Wells & Mr Poots have other ideas on this, which to be honest is out & out bigotry of the highest order & they need to be exposed in every possible way for the bigots that they are.