Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

Without a doubt he would be well fit for county football, the lad has incredible feet and footballing ability. The only thing about Adrian is he gets a fair few injuries during the year so he never seems to get a good run all season. Was very good for the county u21s when he played. In addition he may not have the time to commit as he has 2 young children and his work and children woiuld probably take priority.

boscomo

A few years back the County invited people to become referee assessors did this ever happen, i did think of going along myself but when i realised how much shite i can give to refs i felt it unjust that i shoud rule the thumb over them.
In div 4 this year the Bosco have been lucly enough with the refs we have had maybe because we have had the game won in the 1st half. The presures in the higher divs must be emense for clubs to get results so obviously the ref is always going to be centre of attention.
My main gripe with referees is the ones who are 5 stone over weight and cannot move 10yds either side of the mid field line. We all know them., but no matter what age group our level of football we watch we are all referees but not wearing the black.
if in doubt eat it

mournerambler

Quote from: boscomo on August 01, 2009, 09:27:13 PM
A few years back the County invited people to become referee assessors did this ever happen, i did think of going along myself but when i realised how much shite i can give to refs i felt it unjust that i shoud rule the thumb over them.
In div 4 this year the Bosco have been lucly enough with the refs we have had maybe because we have had the game won in the 1st half. The presures in the higher divs must be emense for clubs to get results so obviously the ref is always going to be centre of attention.
My main gripe with referees is the ones who are 5 stone over weight and cannot move 10yds either side of the mid field line. We all know them., but no matter what age group our level of football we watch we are all referees but not wearing the black.

And also to opposing players, managers etc boscomo ;)

down6061689194

I'm 16 and was looking at becoming a ref but it's never got off the ground, although frm what I heard from club sec. the county run 4 sessions culminating in a test at the sleive.

The fitness tests are nowhere near what HQ specify which isn't right IMO especially if the ref in question had Div/Intercounty aspirations although I imagine this would soon be established.

Town Gael

Quote from: DownFanatic on August 01, 2009, 07:25:45 PM
Town Gael - Have you ever considered just accepting a Castlewellan defeat like a mature adult and just getting on with it? You do some serious excuse making.

You remind me of a mate of mine who used to tell you after a defeat that his team missed four goals and six points and that the referee's 2nd cousin three times removed played for the other team and thats why he favoured them.

Just on the Championships. What is everyone opinions on the various grades?

Bryansford and the Bridge are the two favourites for the SFC while Id say Atticall, Downpatrick and maybe Kilclief will take some beating in the IFC. Glenn are shoe-ins for the JFC and to me they represent our best chance of success in the Ulster club scene this year.

Down Fanatic if you read what I posted last night you wil see that I said Castlewellan were very poor, no excuses for losing. Burren were miles the better side. I simply questioned the performance of the referee which was below par. Nothing wrong with that. No excuses for our hammering, impossible to blame the ref on a 13 point defeat. However He was to blame for a number of poor decisions, not least the sending off of our corner forward.

mournerambler

Quote from: Town Gael on August 01, 2009, 10:51:58 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on August 01, 2009, 07:25:45 PM
Town Gael - Have you ever considered just accepting a Castlewellan defeat like a mature adult and just getting on with it? You do some serious excuse making.

You remind me of a mate of mine who used to tell you after a defeat that his team missed four goals and six points and that the referee's 2nd cousin three times removed played for the other team and thats why he favoured them.

Just on the Championships. What is everyone opinions on the various grades?

Bryansford and the Bridge are the two favourites for the SFC while Id say Atticall, Downpatrick and maybe Kilclief will take some beating in the IFC. Glenn are shoe-ins for the JFC and to me they represent our best chance of success in the Ulster club scene this year.

Down Fanatic if you read what I posted last night you wil see that I said Castlewellan were very poor, no excuses for losing. Burren were miles the better side. I simply questioned the performance of the referee which was below par. Nothing wrong with that. No excuses for our hammering, impossible to blame the ref on a 13 point defeat. However He was to blame for a number of poor decisions, not least the sending off of our corner forward.

Who by all accounts yaps constantly at referee's week in week out!

dundrumite

Quote from: Town Gael on July 26, 2009, 10:53:04 PM
Longstone vs Castlewellan.
Longstone showed a certian nastiness to their play which I had rarely witnessed before. However ref Gabriel Tumelty was a true home town referee and gave them so many decisions even the Mourne supporters were embarrassed- how he only sent off their full forward for 2 yellows is a mystery ( He got his second yellow for striking- since when was striking a yellow offence?)!
It was a decent game- Castlewellan hit 11 wides in the first half alone. Longstone played well against the wind though got an opportunist penalty towards the end of the first half when a dive pulled the wool over the refs eyes. However the penalty itself was expertly placed in the top right had corner and no keeper would have had a chance of saving it.
The second half was an even affair with few scores with both teams wasting chances.

Referee again ???

mournerambler

14   GAA Discussion / GAA Discussion / Re: Wicklow v Down. Aughrim 3pm Saturday. Live on RTE  on: July 19, 2009, 10:51:50 AM 
Ross has proved to be tactically inept, I've no idea what was going on in his mind yesterday. Kevin Duffin sitting on the line cost us as we had 3 scoreable frees that would been chipped over by Duffins left foot. Why take off Hanna as well?  Aidan Carr was awful against Fermanagh and just as bad yesterday.
The ref too was a disgrace- he shouldn't even be allowed to take charge of an u-8 game

Ok, this was a county game, but once again as pointed out by dundrumite, it seemed to be the referee's fault ??? :P

No1

Whatever about the quality of refs, they are from your club and my club and without them we would be playing f**k all on a Friday night.

At the same time they are lifting good coin for every match they ref.

In the Onion Bag

A few years back the County invited people to become referee assessors did this ever happen

I volunteered to be an assessor at the time but when I saw the form filling required it scared me off.  Designed by the same person as did the DLA claim form I believe. 

Town Gael

Quote from: mournerambler on August 01, 2009, 11:51:47 PM
14   GAA Discussion / GAA Discussion / Re: Wicklow v Down. Aughrim 3pm Saturday. Live on RTE  on: July 19, 2009, 10:51:50 AM 
Ross has proved to be tactically inept, I've no idea what was going on in his mind yesterday. Kevin Duffin sitting on the line cost us as we had 3 scoreable frees that would been chipped over by Duffins left foot. Why take off Hanna as well?  Aidan Carr was awful against Fermanagh and just as bad yesterday.
The ref too was a disgrace- he shouldn't even be allowed to take charge of an u-8 game

Ok, this was a county game, but once again as pointed out by dundrumite, it seemed to be the referee's fault ??? :P

So you think the ref in the Down-Wicklow game was good then? When a ref at a game I'm at has a poor game I will say it but what I have not said in any postings is that the ref cost us a game.  Their performances can contribute to the result as was the case when we lost to the Stone but as was also the case when we beat Saval by a point at the start of the season, a game we didn't deserve to win and would not have won if the Saval players had not yapped to the ref so much- the more they yapped the more he gave us to a ridiculous extent. I can see it both ways.

mournerambler

towngael would you FFS dry your eyes & stop harping on about referee's.

DownFanatic

A few years back the County invited people to become referee assessors did this ever happen, i did think of going along myself but when i realised how much shite i can give to refs and opposition players i felt it unjust that i shoud rule the thumb over them.

"Break that f**ker McComiskey's legs!"

DownFanatic

Clonduff 0-10  Castlewellan 3-11

Div 1 on Saturday night.

mournerambler

I wonder how the referee done at this game towngael?