Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dundrumite

Quote from: bredaghgael86 on August 01, 2009, 09:01:01 AM
The difference with rugby referees is that they are approachable and willing to explain (mostly to the captain) what the free was awarded for. GAA refs should adopt a similar policy so at least a player understands instead of being clueless.  having said that, the majority are guessing or giving frees for what they think they saw.  in fairness i wouldnt be up for doing it, its a thankless job where its virtually impossible to please everyone.
Agreed, some referees are unapproachable and indeed move the ball forward for asking for an explanation, which boarders of the realms of lunacy. However, I think as a sport, our lack of respect for referees is catching up with soccer and there needs to be some sort of strategy put in place by the GAA to combat this.

southdown

Liatriom v Longstone         
Bryansford v Kilcoo
Clann na Banna v An Riocht
Loughinisland v Warrenpoint
Castlewellan v Saval
Mayobridge v Annaclone
Clonduff v Rostrevor
Ballyholland v Burren

Intermediate Championship
Ardglass v Carryduff
Glasdrumman v Drumaness
Shamrocks v Kilclief
Ballymartin v Drumgath
Dundrum v Saul
Bredagh v Atticall
Downpatrick v Tullylish
Darragh Cross v St Johns

Junior Football Championship

Dromara v Aughlisnafin
St Michaels v Glenn
Mitchels v Teconnaught   

southdown

Quote from: miss mess on July 31, 2009, 11:11:26 PM
leo smyth was the referree tonight for the stone match, terrible, gave two penalties and i still dont know what for.

What happened in the Point last night, were we rubbish or were the Point good?

umpire

southdown is the 54th person to enter in Prediction League. wth 19 games, that a massive 1,026 to be checked!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Lecale2

Break it into 4 Divisions and get 3 others to help you.

Town Gael

I agree refereeing is a tough job and they will make mistakes. However when players are giving their all 3-4 nights a week at training they at least deserve the referee to do the thing fairly on a Friday night. Damien Barton ran 40 yards onto the ptch to have a go at the castlewellan corner back yet the ref done nothing yet the same ref is constantly telling subs to get in the dugout!

marsbarkid

Have 2 give credit where it's due here, our referee last nite (Finn v Bkinlar) done an excellent job, he seemed 2 take a common sense approach, taking the wet,slippery conditions into account.
On another note i see few more predictions coming in for the Finn 2 beat Dromara in the chship, thats maybe 7 or 8 out of the 54. Can anyone elaborate as to their reasons for this prediction or is just a hunch? Wud b interested 2 find out.  

boscomo

Can anyone tell me how many referees are ex players ??? if any ???? Just Curious. When i say ex i mean retired from football in the last 4/5 years.
if in doubt eat it

dundrumite

Quote from: boscomo on August 01, 2009, 04:19:13 PM
Can anyone tell me how many referees are ex players ??? if any ???? Just Curious. When i say ex i mean retired from football in the last 4/5 years.

I know your guy from Downpatrick, Peter Mc Cartan i think is his name is recently retired, seen him do two games and though he was excellent.

idontbelieveit

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on July 31, 2009, 11:12:35 PM
il see your Ned Morgan/Dominic Brogan/Brannigan/Rawlinson and il raise ye Leo Smyth or Peter Mc Clorey.

This is another example of what is wrong with Down football. I dont like to name and shame referees however some times it is needed. Ned Morgan,Gabriel Tummelty, Peter Brannigan, Gerard Brannigan, Alan Grant, Micky Cuarn are not up to standard. Can somebody enlighten me on how these fellas are actually judged to become referees? Do they just ring up the secretary and thats it? If they go through training regimes/ gaelic rule classes and then are asked to put on the jersey then this shows just how fragile and naive the county is right now. A whole re-think throughout the county must happen next year both on the pitch and off it!

marsbarkid

Quote from: idontbelieveit on August 01, 2009, 06:48:05 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on July 31, 2009, 11:12:35 PM
il see your Ned Morgan/Dominic Brogan/Brannigan/Rawlinson and il raise ye Leo Smyth or Peter Mc Clorey.

This is another example of what is wrong with Down football. I dont like to name and shame referees however some times it is needed. Ned Morgan,Gabriel Tummelty, Peter Brannigan, Gerard Brannigan, Alan Grant, Micky Cuarn are not up to standard. Can somebody enlighten me on how these fellas are actually judged to become referees? Do they just ring up the secretary and thats it? If they go through training regimes/ gaelic rule classes and then are asked to put on the jersey then this shows just how fragile and naive the county is right now. A whole re-think throughout the county must happen next year both on the pitch and off it!

:o  Mickey Curran was our ref last nite!  ???

DownFanatic

Town Gael - Have you ever considered just accepting a Castlewellan defeat like a mature adult and just getting on with it? You do some serious excuse making.

You remind me of a mate of mine who used to tell you after a defeat that his team missed four goals and six points and that the referee's 2nd cousin three times removed played for the other team and thats why he favoured them.

Just on the Championships. What is everyone opinions on the various grades?

Bryansford and the Bridge are the two favourites for the SFC while Id say Atticall, Downpatrick and maybe Kilclief will take some beating in the IFC. Glenn are shoe-ins for the JFC and to me they represent our best chance of success in the Ulster club scene this year.

umpire

Div one played tonight.
Rostrever 1.13 Loughinisland 0.8

Island a pale shadow of their last year championship team.

supersub

Did they even get 0-8? They were very poor and were held to 0-3 for most of the match until the last few minutes. Having said that rostrevors tackling and work rate was very good this evening! Im sure Dan will be back for the championship for l'island but did both the o'reillys go to australia? I know only Jamie got a trial but did the brother go with?! If so this is a big blow to their attack as the looked toothless upfront tonight, only No.14 Stranney caused any real bother!

DownFanatic

Just a question for Rostrevor ones. If Adrian Mackin got his act together he'd be county standard wouldnt he?