Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CĂșig huaire

Ross Carr has named the same 15 that started against Laois for this Saturdays clash against Wicklow.

The following is the Down team to take on Wicklow on Saturday:

Brendan McVeigh
Ciaran McGovern
Kevin McKernan
Damian Rafferty
Timmy Hanna
Paul Murphy
Conor Garvey
Dan Gordon
Stephen Kearney     
Ambrose Rogers
Conor Maginn
Brendan McArdle
Brendan Coulter
Paul McCumiskey
Daniel Hughes
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

DownFanatic

Connolly Cup Quarter Final
Ballykinlar 1-10  Dundrum 1-14

Semi Finals
Aughlisnafin v Ardglass (Monday)
Dromara v Dundrum (Tuesday)

Lecale2

Quote from: DownFanatic on July 17, 2009, 01:13:15 PM

Semi Finals

Tight enough there in the Q/F. Did Ballykinlar have a few back or were Dundrum missing more than Comiskey?

DownFanatic

Quote from: Lecale2 on July 17, 2009, 02:19:16 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on July 17, 2009, 01:13:15 PM

Semi Finals

Tight enough there in the Q/F. Did Ballykinlar have a few back or were Dundrum missing more than Comiskey?

We had a reasonably strong team out but we played very badly continuing on from our diabolical performance against Saul in the League. We are struggling for consistency and seem to be going through a transient bad patch which most teams get now and again.

Last year's humbling in Division 2 took a lot of momentum out of the team and we are currently in the process of rebuilding.

Nevertheless, Ballykinlar give it a hell of a shot but in reality this was a cup game and probably doesnt reflect the true ability of both teams.

D4S

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on July 16, 2009, 09:41:38 PM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on July 16, 2009, 12:21:56 PM
Sad news about Michael Annett.Knew him as a child and played against him many times- always hard but fair, big smile on his face afterwards and full of craic.

Been away from the board for a while.  Was shocked to read this.  Is this the same Micky (I knew him as Michael) brother of Raymond, and Martin? 
If so how young and how sad.  I remember him very fondly.  A good gael from a good gael family.
( If I've got the wrong Micky I apologise)

Yes unfortunately the same Michael Annett brother of Raymond + Martin.
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Town Gael

Time for Ross to go. Bringing on hs son afetr 19 minutes for a player who was doing OK is a travesty. Ross, you were a great player but as a manager you are clueless, slan!

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Town Gael on July 18, 2009, 09:56:57 PM
Time for Ross to go. Bringing on hs son afetr 19 minutes for a player who was doing OK is a travesty. Ross, you were a great player but as a manager you are clueless, slan!

Correct town gael. That was a disgrace. Ross got most other calls right today but loosing to Wicklow is simply not good enough.

Town Gael

dundrumite

Quote from: Town Gael on July 18, 2009, 09:56:57 PM

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=12289.0

DownFanatic

I know this has been suggested time and time again but are there any other players in the county at the moment that would be good enough to start on our current team?

Clarke and Walsh the obvious ones. Anyone else?

thewobbler

I'm not sure if there is a probable Championship starter in the county who isn't already on the panel - and that includes Walsh and Clarke, neither of whom has proven reliable enough on hard ground to merit that accolade.

There are some fellas on the panel who shouldn't be next nor near it, but they're only warming seats on then bus at this time of year anyway.

To be fair to him, Ross has given most fellas a bite at the cherry over the past couple of years.

In the Onion Bag

quote "To be fair to him, Ross has given most fellas a bite at the cherry over the past couple of years."

Aye right, esp his son.  How did he get on when Tim Hanna was dong well? 

I like Ross big time but think he has become blinkered and no longer not capable of managing at at inter-county level.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: DownFanatic on July 19, 2009, 05:30:57 PM
I know this has been suggested time and time again but are there any other players in the county at the moment that would be good enough to start on our current team?

Clarke and Walsh the obvious ones. Anyone else?

James Colgan. A born winner and still only 22.
James McGovern 24 and a decent player, better than many lads on squad.
Sean Parr 22, consistent and versitile player with Rostrevor.
Clarke and Walsh more than capabale.

thewobbler

QuoteJames Colgan. A born winner and still only 22.
James McGovern 24 and a decent player, better than many lads on squad.
Sean Parr 22, consistent and versitile player with Rostrevor.
Clarke and Walsh more than capabale.

So all told, you've suggested:

1. A midfielder who regularly couldn't make his college's Sigerson team, despite being a marquee name.
2. A player who has never settled as a half-forward, full-forward or half-back for his club, let alone county.
3. A useful utility player who just doesn't have the physical attributes to establish himself as a serious county player.
4. Two players who have lots of Championship experience, but very few Championship hghlights between them.

Don't get me wrong, all 5 of those are worth a place in a Down squad. But when it comes to a Championship team, all of them are forwards or midfielders, and none of them have the attributes that would see them close to guaranteed a spot in Down's midfield or forward line. So they aren't terrible ommissions.

Town Gael

Thewobbler, I have to disagree with you on Walsh and Clarke. Walsh is proving himself on the club scene at the minute to be worthy a starting place for Down while for  Clarke has always done a job for the county when asked- he may not have been a stood out but not many playing his role stand out like a free scoring corner forward does.
At the end of the day everyone seems to agree Ross is not the man for the jon